User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

Results 111 to 120 of 205

  1. #111
    Vaguely Precise Seymour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so
    Posts
    1,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hazashin View Post
    I'm not sure what his 'agenda' is, but I know he embraces left-wing libertarian and democratic socialist ideas. And he advocates peace.
    I actually can't find any primary source that suggests the Dalai Lama is a libertarian. The closest I can find is a online political grid quiz that tells people the are like the Dalai Lama if they fall into a certain quadrant. In interviews, he has stated things like:

    NDTV: Do you still think of yourself as a Marxist ?

    The Dalai Lama: Yes . As far as social economic theory is concerned I am a Marxist.
    (although the Dalai Lama has stated he doesn't think that the USSR or Cuba were/are really Marxist in practice.)

    I'd be curious to see where the Dalai Lama has said he's a libertarian. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I've been unable to find evidence to that effect by googling.

    Note: I personally don't know much about the Dalai Lama or his belief system. I do like that he says surprising things from time to time.

  2. #112
    Secret Sex Freak Hazashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj
    Posts
    1,157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    I actually can't find any primary source that suggests the Dalai Lama is a libertarian. The closest I can find is a online political grid quiz that tells people the are like the Dalai Lama if they fall into a certain quadrant. In interviews, he has stated things like:



    (although the Dalai Lama has stated he doesn't think that the USSR or Cuba were/are really Marxist in practice.)

    I'd be curious to see where the Dalai Lama has said he's a libertarian. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I've been unable to find evidence to that effect by googling.

    Note: I personally don't know much about the Dalai Lama or his belief system. I do like that he says surprising things from time to time.
    Well, to be honest, the primary reason why I said I had views "similar to that of the Dalai Lama's" is because the closest famous figure to my Political Compass stance (in the middle of the bottom left quandrant) is the Dalai Lama. But the standard meaning for 'libertarian' is different than 'left-libertarian'. Most of the time, when people refer to 'libertarian', they are referring to the libertarian right. However, there is a libertarian left, although only a few famous figures actually fall into that category. The famous ones are: Mohandas Gandhi, Nelson Mandela, the Dalai Lama, and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-libertarianism
    MBTI: INFP
    Enneagram: 6w7, phobic
    Tritype: 6-9-2
    Instinctual Variant: Sx/Sp
    Temperament: Pure Supine
    D&D Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: Solid Liberal
    Religious Views: Atheist

    Fi > Ne > Ti > Fe > Se > Si > Te > Ni

    "Forgiveness means letting go of the past." ~ Gerald Jampolsky
    "I am justice!" ~ Light Yagami, Death Note
    "The choices people make tell you a lot about a person, but the reasons [...] tell you even more." ~ Albus Dumbledore (paraphrased)

    Tatiana ♥

  3. #113
    Vaguely Precise Seymour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so
    Posts
    1,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hazashin View Post
    Well, to be honest, the primary reason why I said I had views "similar to that of the Dalai Lama's" is because that was the closest famous figure to my Political Compass stance (in the middle of the bottom left quandrant) is the Dalai Lama. But the standard meaning for 'libertarian' is different than 'left-libertarianism'. Most of the time, when people refer to 'libertarian', they are referring to the libertarian right. However, there is a libertarian left, although only a few famous figures actually fall into that category. The famous ones are: Mohandas Gandhi, Nelson Mandela, the Dalai Lama, and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-libertarianism
    Yeah, the "political compass" test was the online quiz I was referring to. Otherwise, I haven't been able to find any supporting documentation. I know the left libertarianism is somewhat different, but even that is a LONG way away from Marxism.

  4. #114
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hazashin View Post
    Well, to be honest, the primary reason why I said I had views "similar to that of the Dalai Lama's" is because the closest famous figure to my Political Compass stance (in the middle of the bottom left quandrant) is the Dalai Lama. But the standard meaning for 'libertarian' is different than 'left-libertarian'. Most of the time, when people refer to 'libertarian', they are referring to the libertarian right. However, there is a libertarian left, although only a few famous figures actually fall into that category. The famous ones are: Mohandas Gandhi, Nelson Mandela, the Dalai Lama, and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-libertarianism
    That is the quiz to which I was referring earlier. I find your claim of being close to the Dalai Lama politically specious if you can't really expound on his actual political ideology. Also, Martin Luther King, Jr. was and Nelson Mandela is HARDLY libertarian, even of the left variety.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  5. #115
    Senior Member EvidenceOfRedemption's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Obama will be re-elected but Santorum would be the best president. I think it would be very interesting to see what a president with character integrity could do in office.

    You all seem to forget that the majority of United States citizens are not people who are making a highly educated political decision when they go into the voting booth. Far more often it's what's safe and familiar based on what they know has worked in the past. Obama is the Tide detergent or the Microsoft Windows of the 2012 election.

  6. #116
    Vaguely Precise Seymour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so
    Posts
    1,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EvidenceOfRedemption View Post
    Obama will be re-elected but Santorum would be the best president. I think it would be very interesting to see what a president with character integrity could do in office.
    I wouldn't hold him up as a paragon for all kinds of integrity:

    Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    Santorum introduced the National Weather Service Duties Act of 2005[48][49] which would have prohibited the National Weather Service from publishing weather data for free to the public where private-sector entities performed the same function commercially.[50] The Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association was galvanizing support to lobby against the bill,[51] but it never passed committee.[51] The motivations surrounding the bill were controversial, as employees of AccuWeather, a commercial weather company which is based in Pennsylvania, donated $10,500 to Santorum and his PAC.[52] The liberal advocacy group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington subsequently listed Rick Santorum as one of its "most corrupt politicians", citing the bill as one of several reasons.[53] In support of the bill, Santorum criticized the National Weather Service in September 2005, saying its evacuation warnings for Hurricane Katrina were "insufficient".[50][54][55]
    See also here: http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com...12/01/07/32863

    and here: http://libertarian-neocon.blogspot.c...m-corrupt.html

    There's also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    A supporter of enhanced interrogation, [Santorum] said in 2011 that John McCain, who was tortured as a prisoner of war, did not understand how the process works.
    Otherwise, I agree that he seems generally personally virtuous, but he has some positions I find troubling (especially as a gay man). He's compared gay sex to incest, bestiality and pedophilia, and has stated that he supports criminalizing gay sex. He has stated that he believes birth control is dangerous and leads to immorality and that the government should never pay for it (a stance which doesn't play particularly well to women). He's also claimed there's no right to privacy.

    Santorum is also a proponent of creatism and intelligent design, and proposed an amendment to what became "No Child Left Behind" to teach intelligent design in public school science classes.

    I think, given his stances, that he's too extremely conservative to do well in the general election, especially once people become aware of his positions (such as his wanting to turn medicare into a voucher system... not something that plays well with older Americans).

  7. #117
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EvidenceOfRedemption View Post
    Obama will be re-elected
    Ugh.


    Santorum would be the best president.
    Double ugh.


    Obama is the Tide detergent or the Microsoft Windows of the 2012 election.
    That is an unfair comparison. Tide actually works.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  8. #118
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EvidenceOfRedemption View Post
    Obama will be re-elected but Santorum would be the best president. I think it would be very interesting to see what a president with character integrity could do in office.
    Probably close to nothing, if he is trying to force a nation to conform to his own particular hard-right religious beliefs. I mean, the guy even seems to be against contraception, and that certainly doesn't even represent the view of the majority of female constituents.

    This isn't King Josiah finding the books of Law when he was 12 and as king forcibly cleaning up a nation to fit his own standards of right and wrong.

    You all seem to forget that the majority of United States citizens are not people who are making a highly educated political decision when they go into the voting booth. Far more often it's what's safe and familiar based on what they know has worked in the past.
    I dunno, I consider myself pretty informed and highly educated, and I would never ever vote for Santorum, and it's not about "comfort." (I'm not exactly excited about Obama either, this time around... I was more interested in Hillary during the 2008 primary.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  9. #119
    Tier 1 Member LunaLuminosity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    2,484

    Default

    I still think Paul has a good chance (or at least I would really hope so) if he can really captivate the moderates. Romney obviously has a good chance because he is good-looking and "just Republican enough." Not sure about Gingrich, he might be getting too much of that 'crazy' label already, but is also a naturally captivating person and could still use internet popularity to his advantage....

    Don't want to think of Santorum. If he wins presidency, January 2013 seems like just the right time for a little 4-8 year vacation in Europe.

  10. #120
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,907

    Default

    It's great how the Republicans attack by making each other sound like better candidates to me.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

Similar Threads

  1. Paul Ryan to be Mitt Romney's Running Mate
    By lowtech redneck in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 134
    Last Post: 08-18-2012, 02:17 AM
  2. Anyone who thinks Ron Paul Shouldn't be President is completly stupid or ignorant...
    By Munchies in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 152
    Last Post: 01-13-2012, 01:47 PM
  3. Werewolf or Vampire?
    By JivinJeffJones in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 03-25-2011, 10:38 AM
  4. Bob Barr or Ron Paul?
    By 6sticks in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-28-2008, 08:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO