User Tag List

First 8910111220 Last

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    The more I watch clips of Gingrich talk, the harder it is to believe this guy is trying to be serious.
    I agree. It's confusing. I find myself viewing him with the same skepticism as some of our more nonsensical posters.

One of Gingrich's previous proposals...
    He has suggested that ‘a mirror system in space could provide the light equivalent of many full moons so that there would be no need for nighttime lighting of the highways.’"
    PolitiFact link

"The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    One of Gingrich's previous proposals...
    He has suggested that ‘a mirror system in space could provide the light equivalent of many full moons so that there would be no need for nighttime lighting of the highways.’"
    Well, technically, he's got a point, you know. I mean, it *could* provide light. Even if it makes about as much sense as building aircraft carriers out of gold to save money on rust prevention -- it would probably *work*.

The silly thing is... there are actually some hypothetically good reasons to put big mirrors in space (large-scale solar power generation -- if it could be done cheaply enough, which it can't in the near future)... but shining light directly on earth for *highway lighting*?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    Well, technically, he's got a point, you know. I mean, it *could* provide light. Even if it makes about as much sense as building aircraft carriers out of gold to save money on rust prevention -- it would probably *work*.

The silly thing is... there are actually some hypothetically good reasons to put big mirrors in space (large-scale solar power generation -- if it could be done cheaply enough, which it can't in the near future)... but shining light directly on earth for *highway lighting*?
    TBH, I started reading about the possibilities and advantages of positioning mirrors in space and thought it exciting, but when I got to the bit about why Gingrich wanted them there, I was like "Wha???" How anticlimactic. And impractical! *backs away from idea slowly* I think it shows his lack of creativity. He reads about the ideas of better men, but can only dream up banal uses for the imaginary technology.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    With all this strategy talk, which of the candidates is putting the needs of the country first, ahead of his own blind drive to get elected? Let each of them lay out their best case for what they can do for the nation. I care less about what each believes, than what each can actually accomplish.

Paul, Romney, or Santorum?

Might as well ask: Larry, Curly, or Moe?
    Now there's a Photoshop project that would probably go viral on Facebook.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hazashin View Post
    Which is left-wing and libertarian? I don't see what you're trying to get at...
    What does the Dalai Lama's political agenda entail?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP

Santorum seems to be picking up steam, though the Missouri race is non-binding.

More suprisingly, I've read of at least one poll where he is about even with Obama in a hypothesized national election (ahead by 1 point, which would be well within the margin of error), and slightly above Romney. Considering the unpopularity of his stances on many social issues among Independents and moderates, its probably some combination of a.) Independents and moderates not knowing as much about him as the other candidates and b.) Independents and moderates simply like his personality, and are willing to tolerate his stances on some issues. Given the media attention he's recieved over the years, it probably has more to do with the latter. I doubt he can catch up after Florida, but he seems a likely candidate as a ticket-balancing VP.

I'm reluctantly supporting Romney; he reminds me of a Republican version of Bill Clinton-unprincipled, but competent, and the most likely to strategically balance major party concerns with the preferences of Indpendents.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    More suprisingly, I've read of at least one poll where he is about even with Obama in a hypothesized national election (ahead by 1 point, which would be well within the margin of error), and slightly above Romney.

It's not that surprising to me, They've updated that poll several times since last year. I think only Gingrich has been consistently out of the margin of error, in other words, in a national election he's the only one who's "unelectable".
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    It's not that surprising to me, They've updated that poll several times since last year. I think only Gingrich has been consistently out of the margin of error, in other words, in a national election he's the only one who's "unelectable".
    Yeah, I saw one poll where Gringrich already had a 48% 'negative' rating combined with very high name recognition....his candidancy would be Obama's wet dream, under the circumstances.

Edit: Santorum has the worst luck; first his victory in Iowa is cut in half, and now it seems his victories in Missouri, Minnesota and (possibly) in Colorado are non-binding.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Man. The more Santorum and Gingrich share success, the less likely it is they can stop Romney, meaning the higher odds he will face Obama. I was really hoping Obama would get to run against Gingrich.

I suppose things could be looking worse for Obama though.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I'm reluctantly supporting Romney; he reminds me of a Republican version of Bill Clinton-unprincipled, but competent, and the most likely to strategically balance major party concerns with the preferences of Indpendents.
    Clinton was a good conservative president though, he launched as many wars as other administrations, reduced the deficit (which Bush co. then ran up again), in some ways discredited the radical opposition during the Seattle demonstrations against the world trade meetings.

Didnt do anything to radically wreck the welfare state, didnt promise anything insane but vaguely free market or any other libertarian buzz wordy, so he'll never be considered for what he really was.