First 45678 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Oh for crying out loud, all the attributes you're generalising aren't necessarily related to have or have not.
    Yes, some of those qualities are in poor people and are in fact the reason why they are poor.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INTP

I see untapped potential

I don't have feelings toward people based on their financial assets, but I think people that let their material wealth, or lack thereof, define who they are, lack vision.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I love rich people. they're confident, they're extravagant, they make good conversation, they don't have all these should's and supposed to's (usually) and i tend to fit in in places that are high profile. I also appreciate the politeness and hospitality and "who cares if it's expensive if it's fun" approach to life. being stingy and unnecessarily frugal is not noble, it only results in boredom, restriction and lost opportunity costs.
    that being said, how they got their wealth is important too.
    rich entrepreneurs: some of the most awesome people on the planet
    rich people who made their money from appearances, politics and manipulation: some of the most despicable people on the planet
    I don't know if it's strictly youthful inexperience and intellectual lethargy or if this cartoonish stereotype you put forward on the forum is a deliberate facade because you're afraid the real you isn't interesting enough.

Do you really believe wealthy is synonymous with confident and socially authoritative? Does Richard Cory mean anything to you?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    From a certain stand point that sounds as arbitrary a criteria as those you criticise, I dont believe the purpose of taxation is a penalty and I wouldnt suggest penalising anyone merely because of their social status or social class.
    I don't think of taxation as a penalty either, and am not proposing that when I say exemptions and deductions should be allowed for some groups. More simply an allowance for the real life circumstances some find themselves in of not being able to pay as much tax as others, of a higher income, could.

Typically, this has included families with children. I think we should start disallowing for that, because I do not think it in the best interests of society to reward for increased population. But I still think that a single mom who works at Wal-Mart, or the elderly woman on meds, or the mentally challenged homeless guy, should be given a tax break. And I, for one, would be willing to pay for that.

I think of taxes like tithing. Not everyone can tithe 10%. So you should be allowed to tithe less in those difficult times. And the rich *should* tithe more. But I don't think the rich should have to tithe (or be taxed) more.

EDIT: And that is one of the things that never sat right with me with Obama's plan: To tax the Super Rich more. It doesn't all the sudden become okay to tax one group more just because they cross some arbitrary line of what we consider filthy rich ($250K). But the masses love to gang up on them, and Obama knew that, therefore, he could get away with that winsomely. And he did.

Why would they? The potential for wealth to equal power and for that power to be corrupting has been mentioned, perhaps considering rich people as all being harmless dilettantes or philanthropists persecuted by taxmen is as rational as my own gut reaction but I'll admit that my own reaction is not strictly rational.
    Corrupt people will always exist. To assume the rich are more likely to be corrupt because they are rich sounds like some kind of fallacy to me.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

taxing the rich is treating the symptoms but not cutting the cancer. The arguement is put there to make the small minded mass' group up in the whole 99% vs 1%. Cute. I wish people would talk about reall issues, but the mass' are so easily led.. ill just sit back and eatpopcorn and observe on this one
    1+1=3 OMFG

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I don't think of taxation as a penalty either, and am not proposing that when I say exemptions and deductions should be allowed for some groups. More simply an allowance for the real life circumstances some find themselves in of not being able to pay as much tax as others, of a higher income, could.

Typically, this has included families with children. I think we should start disallowing for that, because I do not think it in the best interests of society to reward for increased population. But I still think that a single mom who works at Wal-Mart, or the elderly woman on meds, or the mentally challenged homeless guy, should be given a tax break. And I, for one, would be willing to pay for that.

I think of taxes like tithing. Not everyone can tithe 10%. So you should be allowed to tithe less in those difficult times. And the rich *should* tithe more. But I don't think the rich should have to tithe (or be taxed) more.

EDIT: And that is one of the things that never sat right with me with Obama's plan: To tax the Super Rich more. It doesn't all the sudden become okay to tax one group more just because they cross some arbitrary line of what we consider filthy rich ($250K). But the masses love to gang up on them, and Obama knew that, therefore, he could get away with that winsomely. And he did.
    You're right, there shouldn't be an arbitrary line. There should be a progressive taxation formula that adjusts with your income in a smooth curve.

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Corrupt people will always exist. To assume the rich are more likely to be corrupt because they are rich sounds like some kind of fallacy to me.
    Do you think it is a fallacy to say that power corrupts? Do you think it is a fallacy to say money brings power?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post

I just get a vibe of "I respect myself, have integrity and don't feel bad about enjoying myself" from high profile places that I really relate to. most places I go to give me a sense of "oh, don't mind me, I'm just your (false) humble, average guy who isn't anything special" (boring )
    You make it sound like you're fighting for a cause.

FigerPuppet

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Do you think it is a fallacy to say that power corrupts? Do you think it is a fallacy to say money brings power?
    Power is not the corrupting reagent here - it simply unlocks the potential to be corrupt. Tracking the roots of this potential is much more complicated and has to be done on a by-person basis because it involves societal and domestic circumstances in the formative years of the individual's life, as well as the question of genetic heritage. Saying that power corrupts is the generalizing answer of a small mind to a very complicated problem.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    Power is not the corrupting reagent here - it simply unlocks the potential to be corrupt. Tracking the roots of this potential is much more complicated and has to be done on a by-person basis because it involves societal and domestic circumstances in the formative years of the individual's life, as well as the question of genetic heritage. Saying that power corrupts is the generalizing answer of a small mind to a very complicated problem.
    While in a sense you are correct, perhaps we can focus on the important point that corruption seems to be much more pronounced in the presence of power. You know, like probability?
    Go to sleep, iguana.