User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Hate

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    *tips hat*

I don't really feel one thing in particular for them. Some have definitely earned it, others have through ***-holery. I feel like a lack of charity when you have so much is quite callous, which isn't necessarily a rule among them I think. Nice things are nice, obviously, but there's a point where the conspicuous spending for its own sake becomes morally and aesthetically disgusting.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

People are terrified of poor people because they don't want the bad luck rubbing off of them. My experience perhaps. And people who present themselves as well to do are often debt ridden and one step away from bankruptcy. A friend who worked at a bank, used to tell me stories about people rocking up in Armani suits and being millions of dollars in debt, and scruffy plumbers who had millions, but lived on the smell of an oil rag. He worked in a inner city bank. Truth is people aren't what they seem.
    The truly rich, I met a few, working in upper class private hospitals in my early days in Sydney, can be divided into two groups, immigrants/working class who worked long and hard for their money. They are solid people. You wouldn't know it, because they still wore clothes from Target, and would talk to me about their families.
    Then there were the sons of bitches who treated me like I was gum on their shoe.
    I know some wealthy peeps, but they all worked long and hard, and they remember what it was like not to be able to afford repairs on the car because they had to pay the electricity bill.
    It's the sociopaths, who got where they are by lying and cheating and quite possibly aren't as wealthily as they make out. They are the people to fear.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    People are terrified of poor people because they don't want the bad luck rubbing off of them.
    Its the violence rather than the bad luck or maybe the dirt which bothers me about poor people.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Its the violence rather than the bad luck or maybe the dirt which bothers me about poor people.
    Different culture maybe? I guess you've had more experience given your job? Or I'm more sheltered than I realize.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    Different culture maybe? I guess you've had more experience given your job? Or I'm more sheltered than I realize.
    I think its different across countries, culture and classes but when people say poor I think not just of people who're materially destitute maybe, bob cratchets, but depraved as well as deprived, like Brad Pitt's character in Kalifornia.

MBTI
    IsFJ

I just get a vibe of "I respect myself, have integrity and don't feel bad about enjoying myself" from high profile places that I really relate to. most places I go to give me a sense of "oh, don't mind me, I'm just your (false) humble, average guy who isn't anything special" (boring )
    No offense, but I wouldn't exactly call Cruella DeVil a person of "integrity"...
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

The disconnect from reality that I often hear from the extravagantly wealthy disturbs me a great deal. Attitudes resulting from privilege disturb me, but sometimes I also feel badly for them because of what they cannot see. They are taught they are superior because of who they are and sometimes reality erodes in on that constructed image which can leave feelings of deep insecurity. I have known the wealthy who in their attempts to be generous and kind can get very patronizing because the assumptions of superiority are subconscious and all pervasive. Ego development is different when you are raised with social power and continual competition for superiority. It affects all the assumptions about what the individual is entitled to and how they communicate based on their assumptions. Strangely enough it can also create a more hyper-competitive culture because status and money are like a bottomless pit - there is never enough. The competitve style can be really complex filled with back-handed compliments and undermining people psychologically.

On the poverty end of society it can become hyper-competitive when violence is introduced (still that is a power issue), but oftentimes cultures that are on the raggedy end of survival switch into a more cooperative mode because individual ego placing everyone at risk in order to gather attention just doesn't work. Communication is also much more direct because that efficiency is needed when resources of time, energy, and sustenance are low.

The most aggravating experience for my personal life is the conflict between privilege and want. I work in classical music which is filled with privilege and want. I grew up poor and so was never in the power circles required to secure employment. In my years freelancing virtually all of the competition I have encountered is for attention. I have worked at or below the poverty line trying to get work, only to be met with financially secure musicians competing fiercely with me for attention. When you are focused on food and shelter you don't care about taking anyone's attention. That disconnect creates levels of arrogance and cruelty that the privileged are blind towards because it doesn't enter into their experience. (apologies for the rant, but class divides are a real problem).

Maybe because of these experiences, the arrogant, privileged statements on media outlets like Fox News anger me beyond anything else I have encountered.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

I love rich people. they're confident, they're extravagant, they make good conversation, they don't have all these should's and supposed to's (usually) and i tend to fit in in places that are high profile. I also appreciate the politeness and hospitality and "who cares if it's expensive if it's fun" approach to life. being stingy and unnecessarily frugal is not noble, it only results in boredom, restriction and lost opportunity costs.
    that being said, how they got their wealth is important too.
    rich entrepreneurs: some of the most awesome people on the planet
    rich people who made their money from appearances, politics and manipulation: some of the most despicable people on the planet
    Yes, yes and yes.

Also, i don't see why a rich one must be an entrepreneur, there's nothing wrong about get all your money from a legacy. It's honest. Fundamentally, I'd say rich are often more easy to get along with when they are in better mood, better shape and in a more sane approach to life than poors who are frugal, stingy, in bad mood and are vengeful against society and are boring because of their frustration.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

I love rich people. they're confident, they're extravagant, they make good conversation, they don't have all these should's and supposed to's (usually) and i tend to fit in in places that are high profile. I also appreciate the politeness and hospitality and "who cares if it's expensive if it's fun" approach to life. being stingy and unnecessarily frugal is not noble, it only results in boredom, restriction and lost opportunity costs.
    that being said, how they got their wealth is important too.
    rich entrepreneurs: some of the most awesome people on the planet
    rich people who made their money from appearances, politics and manipulation: some of the most despicable people on the planet
    Oh for crying out loud, all the attributes you're generalising aren't necessarily related to have or have not.