Thread: Uncool

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Default Uncool

Birthdays and other traditional days that are alloted celebration on that day

I consider this poppycock
    If these events and people are important,
    we would celebrate them avidly and whenever we could spare the time

Your thoughts and sunbeams on the matter.
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    GONE

Um...

I like your...avatar...?

Alright an on-topic answer, celebrity birthdays are commemorated to remind you of their importance lest you forget. Because something you don't know is something you don't know. If you disagree with said importance after the day becomes official, you are free to stage your own anti-holiday demonstrations. In this way holidays are more than just about the birth or death of the figure they are meant to commemorate and carve official space out to discuss/contemplate history (or herstory! hahahahahaha -- I thought you'd appreciate that, you big Ani lovin dude) and larger ideals.

And in your answer, you sound so NF...and J.

I would insert a happy face here, but my signature spares me the trouble...

Damn, went ahead and wasted energy typing anyway.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INXP

Lots of "celebrations" are pointless on the surface. What is important is the cultural reinforcement. The gatherings, the common understandings. It's like safe tribalism. We only feel part of a culture by sharing these things with like minded individuals.

But.. sure.. it's pointless. If you want to be excluded (and we all do, sometimes).

MBTI
    yupp

if we celebrated these things all the time they would lose meaning. I've turn 21 which means where I'm from I can drink, so birthday's don't mean much to me anymore. I wouldn't turn down a gift, but I really don't like them cuz then I feel obligated to get the giver a gift when their birthday comes around. I also don't like parties, but I let people enjoy their birthday and sad to say but some people need holidays because it doesn't occur to them otherwise that others exist.Not having alloted days would be nice, if people could be like "Oh look this person likes/needs this, I think to show my appreciation I'm going to get this for them"
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    if we celebrated these things all the time they would lose meaning. I've turn 21 which means where I'm from I can drink, so birthday's don't mean much to me anymore. I wouldn't turn down a gift, but I really don't like them cuz then I feel obligated to get the giver a gift when their birthday comes around. I also don't like parties, but I let people enjoy their birthday and sad to say but some people need holidays because it doesn't occur to them otherwise that others exist.Not having alloted days would be nice, if people could be like "Oh look this person likes/needs this, I think to show my appreciation I'm going to get this for them"
    Exactly : it's the act of celebration that's important - cultural, familial, tribal bonding and reinforcement. We choose nominal things in modern culture (like Christmas, which for most people is nothing to do with religion) and treat them as something important.

MBTI
    yupp

yup.

to put things into perspective my room mates wanted to do easter baskets, and I said this would me alot more fun for me doing this for little kids (like hiding the eggs and putting candy in the eggs) not because I hate candy, but I can just as easily grab a bag of candy and eat the candy by saving the effort. But I remember as a small child being excited about the easter bunny and half the fun was finding easter eggs. I mean i think holidays lose meaning as you get older. I think I kind of went off on a tangent. The point is I'm more willing to go out of my way to celebrate something for an enthuistic child who has yet to learn the truth instead of an adult who knows the truth but is just being obnoxious.

I found holidays for myself more enjoyable as a child, or around christmas it's more exciting when you watch my younger cousins open gifts and how excited they get.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INXP

yup.

to put things into perspective my room mates wanted to do easter baskets, and I said this would me alot more fun for me doing this for little kids (like hiding the eggs and putting candy in the eggs) not because I hate candy, but I can just as easily grab a bag of candy and eat the candy by saving the effort. But I remember as a small child being excited about the easter bunny and half the fun was finding easter eggs. I mean i think holidays lose meaning as you get older. I think I kind of went off on a tangent. The point is I'm more willing to go out of my way to celebrate something for an enthuistic child who has yet to learn the truth instead of an adult who knows the truth but is just being obnoxious.

I found holidays for myself more enjoyable as a child, or around christmas it's more exciting when you watch my younger cousins open gifts and how excited they get.
    So.. no Easter Eggs for AvereX?

MBTI
    yupp

do you think he'd mind? remember, he doesn't see the point.

Though I do love the food and alcohol that goes along with holidays. It could be that my mom is a really good cook so you look forward to her cooking even on non holidays. But you get foods she doesn't make all the time on holidays.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

do you think he'd mind? remember, he doesn't see the point.

Though I do love the food and alcohol that goes along with holidays. It could be that my mom is a really good cook so you look forward to her cooking even on non holidays. But you get foods she doesn't make all the time on holidays.
    Very True
    I do consider most holidays blah
    but thats just me
    have fun,everyone

Its just that the minute i see something that someone would like,
    i get it for them
    I have supported the tradition of b-days
    and its fun to have one day for yourself
    but.......
    to be appreciated in that way everyday is either over the top,
    or more loving than having one

each person exists for the other 364 days,
    I see some people going through some rough times through that period
    and they are in our lives bestowing their gifts, during that same period

i brought up this topic simply to challenge the tradition(s)
    perhaps its just me being too unconventional
    too Fe and passionate in my caring
    too NFJ, CzeCze ?
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    GONE

Oh I was joking Averex, I can tell you were coming from the POV of one who takes their relationships and showing appreciation seriously -- NFJ. I got the impression you found holidays a bit...fake and thereby cheapening any real appreciation they're meant to show? I getcha. I think a lot of people feel that way about the 'big' holidays that roll up around fall/winter or else find them downright depressing for similar reasons -- on the surface being about XYZ when actual XYZ is lacking in their lives.

I think it's a noble sentiment but I think for myself maybe it's the P vs J difference, but I figure why fight it? I might be really bad at keeping track and remembeing such holidays, but I'll make the best of what I can from a barbecue or huge turkey and ham dinner.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari