User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Although, as a matter of principle, I think that the burden of proof in any situation where it is in question should be upon those arguing that it is not suited or will not work.
    I vehemently disagree.

What makes democracy so special that it deserves special reverence and special rules regarding the burden of proof of such a system.

Can I pick another ideology and charge you with the burden of proof, regardless of the situation? That would be silly, and I would not want to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    I vehemently disagree.

What makes democracy so special that it deserves special reverence and special rules regarding the burden of proof of such a system.

Can I pick another ideology and charge you with the burden of proof, regardless of the situation? That would be silly, and I would not want to do this.
    ^ Evidence you dont understand my post.

MBTI
    INTP

^ Evidence you dont understand my post.
    Which part do I not understand?

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Which part do I not understand?
    All of it from the look of it. If you reread what you've written and reread what I've written it would lead you to question why you posted that.

That is other than you've attributed a view to me and responded to that rather than what I've actually written.

Anyway, carry on, its how most of these threads go anyway.

MBTI
    INTP

All of it from the look of it. If you reread what you've written and reread what I've written it would lead you to question why you posted that.

That is other than you've attributed a view to me and responded to that rather than what I've actually written.

Anyway, carry on, its how most of these threads go anyway.
    Very well

You stated that democracy may not be the best option under certain circumstances in your previous post.

I made a similar statement.

It would appear, then, that you have answered your own question.

Is democracy always a good thing? You and I both agree that it is not.

Reaching a common ground can often lead to further discussion.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Democracy isn't always a good thing. In fact, I would prefer a totalitarian dictatorship as long as the leader was good (and by good, I mean maximizing the happiness of the population.)

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Democracy isn't always a good thing. In fact, I would prefer a totalitarian dictatorship as long as the leader was good (and by good, I mean maximizing the happiness of the population.)
    In the short term, a dictatorship run by a brilliant, compassionate person is the best possible government. In the long term, the odds of the successor also being brilliant and compassionate are very, very low, and it all becomes a nightmare from there.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    In the short term, a dictatorship run by a brilliant, compassionate person is the best possible government. In the long term, the odds of the successor also being brilliant and compassionate are very, very low, and it all becomes a nightmare from there.
    Part of my definition of a "good leader" is an exit strategy. Either he/she finds a good successor (probably wouldn't be too hard with the resources of the entire country at your disposal) or has some plan to revert to some other form of government.

MBTI
    ESFJ

The term 'democracy' describes a large range of different political institutions. Certainly, many historical democracies were not 'democratic' in the modern sense. In any case, democracy is usually desirable, not because it always delivers the best policies or laws, but because it tends to limit the damage done by the bad. Democracy institutionalises feedback. David Hume once said that when reforming political institutions, we should assume all men to be knaves. Of course, he didn't believe this assumption was true, but just thought that good governance should not depend on having the "right" leaders. Incentives are more important than dispositions. Throughout history, horrific men have introduced liberalising laws and policies, for their own self-interest, and have succeeded where better men failed.

The intricacies of how democratic institutions work are too often overlooked. Simple proportional representation rarely delivers the kind of feedback necessary to get rid of bad laws and leaders.

Karl Popper had it: we shouldn't be asking 'Who shall lead?' but rather, 'How shall we arrange our political institutions so that the bad laws and leaders can be eliminated, mitigated, or deposed?' Democracy, at least in some forms, is the best answer to that second question that I know of.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

The Limitation of Misery

I am told that democracy is the worst possible system except for all the others.

So democracy is the least evil.

This is because politics is the dealing in power and power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely, so liberal democracy limits power.

In spite of what the USA tells us, democracy is not the pursuit of happiness, it is the limitation of misery.