User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so

Default Is Trial by Jury always a good thing?

A couple of years ago, I was out driving when the news came on the radio...some father here in Melbourne had thrown his 3 or 4 yr child off the top of the West Gate Bridge to its death some 60 metres below. I almost vomited at the time and it still turns my stomach to think about it today.

There was a trial, but not to determine whether the father committed the offence. It was to determine whether he was insane at the time.

From all reports (and yes, there was a media circus), the trial was very graphic and brought all the horrid details before a jury.

My thoughts at that time were "I hope the State provides good counselling to the jurors, solicitors, judge, in fact all that sat in that courtroom during the proceedings".

Then I thought "Is our justice system really so important that we need to subject so many innocent people to such horror? Couldn't justice have been served without impacting so many innocent lives?"

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Innocent people having that exposure is the media's fault not the justice system's fault. I don't watch the news because I don't care to see all the horrible and/or silly things that happen in our world. I like living in a happy little bubble.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Innocent people having that exposure is the media's fault not the justice system's fault. I don't watch the news because I don't care to see all the horrible and/or silly things that happen in our world. I like living in a happy little bubble.
    I agree re the media, but is it really necessary to subject a jury to the horror?

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by mikamickmac View Post
    I agree re the media, but is it really necessary to subject a jury to the horror?
    Oh you meant the jury. Hmm that's a good question, I don't know. I'd hate to be a juror in a horrible case like that. I'd do everything in my power to not get picked.

Do they pay you in Oz for jury duty? In the U.S. some people feel that jury duty is slavery.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so

In all the jobs I've had, the Government pays your employer about $20 a day and your employer pays your wage as though you were working

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by mikamickmac View Post
    Then I thought "Is our justice system really so important that we need to subject so many innocent people to such horror? Couldn't justice have been served without impacting so many innocent lives?"
    The victim had to endure the horror personally. The most we have to do is hear about it. Ignorance may be bliss, but it skews our perception of reality in a way that I find almost irresponsible.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w1 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    The victim had to endure the horror personally. The most we have to do is hear about it. Ignorance may be bliss, but it skews our perception of reality in a way that I find almost irresponsible.
    Amen.
    It is our duty to bring justice to the victim, and to endure, if we have to, what they endured, so as to ensure a fair trial.
    Personally I don't find that case as disturbing as some I've heard of and seen. And I think, @micamickmac, and this is no slight to you, but I think if that almost made you vomit you should not read anything about the Palestine-Israel conflict.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so

No offence taken....my biggest fear in life (and it's a real fear) is losing my children, and my youngest son is/was the same age as that unfortunate child

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I've come to seriously doubt the functionality of a jury. I think I'd rather have an inquisitorial court system than an adversarial court system.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

oh, I didn't expect that angle. I think it is often a bad thing too, but not because it's unfair to the jury members (although that's an interesting point). It's not fair to the accused. The jury is basically just a tool for the lawyers to play around with. Often uneducated, emotional, unintelligent, etc. A panel of judges or other trained people would be more fair.
    -end of thread-