User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I've known some people who had the misfortune of going to Texas public schools, and there it was mandatory to recite both the pledge of allegiance AND a pledge to Texas. WTF.

To answer the question, no, the pledge should not be mandatory, nor should it be mandatory to recite it in English. I mean, if someone somewhere wants to recite it in a different language, what does it matter? They should be happy that anyone wants to recite it at all.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

The Pledge, don't really care. As for an official language, English is the most spoken language in the United States; catering to Spanish-speaking individuals is unfair and what's to stop the others from demanding/wanting things to be translated into their language? It'd be a nightmare and the division that already exists between the many cultures will grow. Make the official language English is my vote, but I see that happening in like never years.
    “'Fuck', I think. What a beautiful word. If I could say only one thing for the rest of my life, that would be it.”

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    So yes, a common tongue DOES contribute to feelings of unity and nationalism, or at least better enables it as opposed to a bunch of 'mini-countries' all trying to share a geographical space.
    Language isn't the only thing that does this. Religion and race are the easiest examples to point to...yet no one is arguing for a unification of religion or race. Why? Because, ironically, that's exactly what it means (ideally, at least) to not be American.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I think it should be something that is a part of school. MAKING kids say it? I've never heard of that. But putting it on the loud speaker and reciting it isn't anything awful or torturous, and it does create a sense of unity. So what if it's a ritual, or 'traditional'... Everyone seems to have a problem with this now-a-days. "If it isn't practical, why do it?!" Christmas dinner isn't practical either, but practicality isn't the only thing that makes the world go around.

In the time I went to school, we said it everyday, and no one was forced to put their hand on their heart or called into the principal's office if they didn't recite it. Making them stand, at least, to show respect while it happens? I don't see a problem with that.

I could see them doing it once a week, instead of everyday... but I don't really see the huge fuss. America could use some unity.. And as bad as this sounds, I think there would be at least a few kids who wouldn't have any idea their country had a "United States of" part of its name without the pledge.

I think English being our language is known forever more... I like the idea of not having an official language.. It seems silly, to me personally, to make it a statement and go out of our way for it. ... But the problem is, I feel alienated in parts of my own city because there are signs written in Chinese, and Spanish, that I am unable to read and decipher...

I'm torn on THIS issue because I feel like this is the only ammo in this department that people have against extremist bigots.. "Ya'll need to learn ya some damn ENGLISH!!" I don't know how many times people blurt this out as if this has become official.. But at the same time, it sort of is understood that Americans speak English.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I had to recite that pledge in grade school for a few years. I still remember it. Did it increase my allegiance to the US? No. Did it make me more patriotic? No.
    Paying income tax is a sufficient show of allegiance IMO.

I think pledging one's allegiance has more meaning if it's a decision arrived at through personal consideration, much like religious faith. Forcing children to recite words they don't comprehend the significance of does the opposite of encouraging critical thought and inspired citizenry. It becomes a meaningless exercise. I find that if I pause, I can remember the pledge by rote like many Americans, but not once from K thru 12 do I recall pausing and considering the meaning of the words I was repeating. It was purely habit.

I understand why military personnel recite it. Public servants. Government officials etc. But I don't understand why it should be mandatory for children.

Of course, I don't have the benefit of an alternate perspective... one where I wasn't required to recite it. Who knows what my opinion might be if the pledge hadn't been obligatory?

What does unite Americans exactly? Birthright? Voting rights? Outside threats? What could unite Americans? Can we come up with something else, something better? I like that our unity is dissolute and difficult to nail down. Will that be a weakness or a strength in the future though? I'm not sure.

And if what unites us isn't voluntary --isn't something we arrive at of our own volition, is it a unity worth having? My instincts say no.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I've known some people who had the misfortune of going to Texas public schools, and there it was mandatory to recite both the pledge of allegiance AND a pledge to Texas. WTF.
    I imagine the possibility of a secession would make them quite confused...
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

Should the Pledge of Allegiance be mandatory in schools? If so...
    No (based mostly on private beliefs over the misuse of pledges and promises).

Do you believe the Pledge of Allegiance should only be recited in English? Why or why not?
    No.

Additional Question: Should English become the official language of the U.S.? (At present, we have none.)
    Yes (A common language helps to create unity).

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Forced nationalism is a bit scary. No, kids should not be forced to say the pledge.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    Forced nationalism is a bit scary. No, kids should not be forced to say the pledge.
    I completely agree.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne