User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default How is attacking welfare and government going to change anything?

Give the excellent video on the world economic crisis which was posted a short while ago I question how anyone can continue to treat Ron Paul and libertarianism with any credibility, their solution to the worlds ills is to attack welfare and government, so what? Even if it was realised its not going to remedy the fundamental contradictions in the economy which are causing it to break down repeatedly.

Where's your end game if you're a libertarian, how are you going to sort out the economy when you cant simply complain about government and welfare anymore and you've strengthened the oligarchs and corporations into something like a terror state in all but name?

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Welfare and government are parasits. They are responsibles of the economic crises. The more we attack it, the best it is.

Simple.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    Welfare and government are parasits. They are responsibles of the economic crises. The more we attack it, the best it is.

Simple.
    They only are insofar as you can rebuild the system from zero. If you want to start with what we have now, first you need to attack all the related wasted (i.e. high parcels to polician's friends firms for building hospitals, social housing, etc.). I don't think abolishing welfare will create a better society, the transition has to be smooth, this way self-organizing "welfare" initiatives can form.

Otherwise you end up like today's Russia, which is IMHO definitely a model not to be followed.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    They only are insofar as you can rebuild the system from zero. If you want to start with what we have now, first you need to attack all the related wasted (i.e. high parcels to polician's friends firms for building hospitals, social housing, etc.). I don't think abolishing welfare will create a better society, the transition has to be smooth, this way self-organizing "welfare" initiatives can form.

Otherwise you end up like today's Russia, which is IMHO definitely a model not to be followed.
    Probably, but "attacking" is not the same thing than "abolishing" brutaly.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    Probably, but "attacking" is not the same thing than "abolishing" brutaly.
    Yeah, government spending is also a highly resistant budget block, so perhaps a political attack from a relatively low % side is needed, there has to be some real opposition.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Yeah, government spending is also a highly resistant budget block, so perhaps a political attack from a relatively low % side is needed, there has to be some real opposition.
    A very modest welfare state coud be acceptable I think, if it was truly directed toward the weakest, thoses you never could take care of themselves and can't rely on their relatives, combined of course with private charity. But welfare state is basically a cake which is prone to be biger and bigger because in a social democracy everyones is encouraged to take a part, and this has reached a problematic climax in industrialised countries.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

The abolishment of welfare is foolish, nothing more than the ideals of those who like to think that all poor people are just lazy, and not victims of the socio-economic system that screws them over. Welfare is a basic necessity of any modern civilized society that actually cares for its worst off citizens.

And unless all people were completely compassionate people, I might just call myself a libertarian completely, but even I know that you can't fully trust the masses just as you fully can't trust the government. I'm willing to have government runed organizations dedicated to the common good of the people, organizations that assist people when needed because that's what any decent society would do. And this is coming from a guy whom loathes government and bureaucratic control; I'd still be willing to limit government power as much as possible, but there still need to be some branches of it for the benefit of everyone.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Most libertarians (other than the relatively rare anarcho-capitalists) aren't anti-government. The state is a necessity. The question is what are its appropriate functions. Insisting that people are making arguments they aren't is dishonest.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

There's an old adage that the only way to prove a fool wrong is to let him have his way. Libertarians have a great defense because their way is impossible, so they can never be proven wrong. You're never going to so completely strip the government of involvement in the economy that isn't still enough involvement for libertarians to targets as the problem. Given complete power, they'd bend society in one direction for eternity.

I've spent so much time at this point arguing with libertarians that I've heard quite a lot of explanations as to how the no tax, no spending, no regulation society is supposed to right our wrongs. Of course it all seems dubious to me, and ultimately I still think what libertarians have the greatest abundance of is faith.

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    Most libertarians (other than the relatively rare anarcho-capitalists) aren't anti-government. The state is a necessity. The question is what are its appropriate functions. Insisting that people are making arguments they aren't is dishonest.
    Yeah, but libertarians are generally against government social spending, are they not? They are also typically against government control of finance, from taxes, to business regulations, to subsidies. Am I correct? Perhaps, at best, they will allow smaller, local governments to take care of those things, but they might, and they certainly never let a federal government do that.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Yeah, but libertarians are generally against government social spending, are they not? They are also typically against government control of finance, from taxes, to business regulations, to subsidies. Am I correct? Perhaps, at best, they will allow smaller, local governments to take care of those things, but they might, and they certainly never let a federal government do that.
    Nobody but the most extremist libertarians thinks you can run a state without collecting tax. When it comes to business regulation, that isn't quite right either. Libertarians tend to prefer a court-oriented, common law method of resolving dispute. Instead of an EPA, sue polluters, for example. Misstating things either shows ignorance, or again, dishonesty. Which is it?
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window