User Tag List

12311 Last

Thread: SOPA

MBTI
    STUF

Default SOPA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhwuXNv8fJM

I haven't seen anything about this here, even though it's quite important, because it would basically destroy the internet. Including TypoC. Haight would be accountable for felonies if anyone posted a link to copyrighted material.

The House of Representatives is quite intent on pushing the bill through, they said they would hold off voting until next year, but now it's pushed to next week, so if you have a chance, contact your representatives.
    Whoops.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Haven't watched the video yet, but I have heard about this bill. Honestly it counds like a nightmare and amounts to nothing more that a stinking pile of government bullshit. I certainly hope that such a bill never becomes a reality, else some politicians in DC may have to start worrying for their lives.

I think the thread would warrant more discussion and perusing if the title was more informative. Thanks for posting the link @Gish.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    IsFJ

Heard about this on TGWTG a while ago. The guys from Channel Awesome went there to talk to senators and everything. From their observations, no two politicians interpret the wording of the bill the same way.

I think the appropriate phrase here would be "Your Tax Dollars At Work!".
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Bahahahaha. I loved the bingo board!
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    IsFJ

Rep. Maxine Waters of California followed up by saying that any discussion of security concerns is “wasting time” and that the bill should move forward without question, busted internets be damned.
    What.

The fact that there was any debate over whether to call in experts on such a matter should tell you something about the integrity of Congress. It’d be one thing if legitimate technical questions directed at the bill’s supporters weren’t met with either silence or veiled accusations that the other side was sympathetic to piracy. Yet here we are with a group of elected officials openly supporting a bill they can’t explain, and having the temerity to suggest there’s no need to “bring in the nerds” to suss out what’s actually on it.
    So it was as proponents of the Hollywood-funded bill curmudgeonly shot down all but two amendments proposed by its opponents, who fought to dramatically alter the document to preserve security and free speech on the net. But the chilling takeaway of this whole debacle was the irrefutable air of anti-intellectualism; that inescapable absurdity that we have members of Congress voting on a technical bill who do not posses any technical knowledge on the subject and do not find it imperative to recognize those who do.
    Well said!
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Bahahahaha. I loved the bingo board!
    "Speaker is unreasonably sassy."
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

I'm somewhat sympathetic to the representatives, while at the same time staunchly against SOPA. It's impractical to expect elected representatives to be experts in a wide range of technology-based disciplines. Further, it's natural to distrust the motives and honesty of political opponents who have greater knowledge of a subject than one's self. For instance, I'd be suspicious of a DNA expert who testified that I was guilty of a crime if that expert stood to gain financially by my conviction, because I wouldn't have the training to evaluate his claims.

That said, the overwhelming number, variety and insistence of experts in this case lead me to conclude that the representatives are being short-sighted and unduly intractable. They really need to examine the issue more fully.

I expect scenarios like this will happen with more frequency as technology becomes even more removed from the general knowledge of the layman and lawmakers are increasingly ill-equipped to make prudent decisions.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

... This bill makes me realize I have no idea how the world works... and I suppose I never will.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge