User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Thread: SOPA

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Since when is it utter bullshit to put criminals in jail?
    I'm not certain they're criminals, but if they are they should be punished.

I don't want to see any users go to prison for downloading copyrighted material. That's a misdemeanor, at most, or at least it should be. With our overcrowded prisons, the last thing I want to see is a violent criminal released early to make room for someone who downloaded some music and movies.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I don't want to see any users go to prison for downloading copyrighted material.
    I don't either. That should be a misdemeanor or even a citation. But in this case, downloaders aren't the target.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I don't either. That should be a misdemeanor or even a citation. But in this case, downloaders aren't the target.
    What I'd like to see is the "content creators" actually start innovating again and develop a new business model, one that makes this issue moot. It's certainly possible, it's just easier to lobby Congress.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

What I'd like to see is the "content creators" actually start innovating again and develop a new business model, one that makes this issue moot. It's certainly possible, it's just easier to lobby Congress.
    I keep hearing this argument, and to me it sounds like the argument that hemp is really cool for making pants and rope. "New business model" is just a bunch of people trying to justify their behavior. I find it unlikely that there is a business model that will deliver the product for cheaper than free, which is what they're paying now.

Johari
    /Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    Thanks to your parents, your grandparents and your apathy regarding politics, everything must be regulated forever and ever. Name one activity that isn't yet regulated by government on some level and I'll give you a cyanide cookie so you can die in blissful ignorance now before you reach enlightenment.

It's actually more disgusting to me that people are soooo upset about sopa/pipa that they'll shit themselves and cry real tears, but they don't give a fuck about ndaa or other restrictive, authoritarian laws. Habeas corpus or free shit on the internet, habeas corpus or free shit on the internet? hmmm, hmmmm HMMMMMMMMMMM
    This was a healthy reminder for me, so thank you. I guess this isn't the most appropriate thread for your point but it's very important nonetheless.
    Also: notification.

A window to the soul

That's a misdemeanor, at most, or at least it should be. With our overcrowded prisons, the last thing I want to see is a violent criminal released early to make room for someone who downloaded some music and movies.
    Do you work for the prison?

Heck, someone hand me a ruler, I'll take care of the pirates.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I keep hearing this argument, and to me it sounds like the argument that hemp is really cool for making pants and rope. "New business model" is just a bunch of people trying to justify their behavior. I find it unlikely that there is a business model that will deliver the product for cheaper than free, which is what they're paying now.
    There are two factors at play, here. Cost and convenience. A lot of piracy takes place because it's simply not convenient to go the legal route. It's not all about cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Do you work for the prison?

Heck, someone hand me a ruler, I'll take care of the pirates.
    Nope, but I do live in a state where the court ruled that the prisons here are over-crowded. It was either fix the problem now or release them to fix the over-crowding problem. Now, now, now, who do we release?

There are two factors at play, here. Cost and convenience. A lot of piracy takes place because it's simply not convenient to go the legal route. It's not all about cost.
    Is iTunes really less convenient than a torrent? Even more importantly, is convenience an appropriate defense? Doing your taxes is a pain in the ass. Is it okay to not pay them because it could be made easier?

Johari
    /Nohari

Even more importantly, is convenience an appropriate defense?
    It is for the gaming perspective