User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 147

Thread: SOPA

  1. #71
    Senior Member LEGERdeMAIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,545

    Default

    Thanks to your parents, your grandparents and your apathy regarding politics, everything must be regulated forever and ever. Name one activity that isn't yet regulated by government on some level and I'll give you a cyanide cookie so you can die in blissful ignorance now before you reach enlightenment.

    It's actually more disgusting to me that people are soooo upset about sopa/pipa that they'll shit themselves and cry real tears, but they don't give a fuck about ndaa or other restrictive, authoritarian laws. Habeas corpus or free shit on the internet, habeas corpus or free shit on the internet? hmmm, hmmmm HMMMMMMMMMMM
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”


  2. #72
    Freaking Ratchet Rail Tracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Really? I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.
    Not everyone who uses megaupload uses it for these illegitimate purposes. That is the fact of the matter.

    Now, I wonder about all the other companies who used megaupload need to deal with.

    What is even more funny is that it happened around this week. Coincidence?

    500m or the rest of the businesses? By kicking a company who doesn't post "illegal" stuff by default is to punish everyone else.

  3. #73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Megaupload was taken down because it's violating existing law, which is just fine with me. Governments already have the tools they need to police piracy.
    Word. This is why I am against SOPA/PIPA. Not because I support piracy, but because I am against bad law.

    Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    I can't believe this happened to mega upload. Such utter bullshit. That is scary, and disgusting.
    Since when is it utter bullshit to put criminals in jail?
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

  4. #74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    Not everyone who uses megaupload uses it for these illegitimate purposes.
    That's why the indictment is against Megaupload and not users. It's like arguing that mobsters shouldn't have their "sanitation" companies shut down because some people unaware of their activities won't get their trash picked up anymore.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

  5. #75
    figsfiggyfigs
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Really? I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.
    I am. I'm not surprised this happened now, but how fast this happened and what happened to the people involved who were running and working for it.
    They could be imprisoned for 20 years, which is longer than the term some murder's and rapist serve. I find it a little sickening that enabling the sharing of possibly copyrighted information is now parallel to murder and rape.
    Let's not forget the enormity of the site in regards to the information it holds, and the amount of traffic it receives on a daily basis.
    I think the worst part is that it is used for a variety of things, including documentation and storage, and all of that important information is now inaccessible.

    I hope this ends pleasantly, and soon.

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Since when is it utter bullshit to put criminals in jail?
    I should've been more clear. I think the sentences they could receive are not congruent with the crime.
    Yes, piracy is crime, but I don't believe that the punishment fits the crime in these situations.

  6. #76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    I find it a little sickening that enabling encouraging the sharing of possibly copyrighted information is now parallel to murder and rape.
    Fixed.

    I think the worst part is that it is used for a variety of things, including documentation and storage, and all of that important information is now inaccessible.
    I think that's the worst part too. The people who used the site for illegal activities should probably feel pretty shitty for what their behavior resulted in.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

  7. #77
    figsfiggyfigs
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Fixed.
    I haven't seen their advertisements. I watched the Mega upload mega song. And to me, it looked like they were encouraging the sharing of files and the use of their website. NOT the sharing of copyrighted information. So I disagree here.


    I think that's the worst part too. The people who used the site for illegal activities should probably feel pretty shitty for what their behavior resulted in.
    Yeah, I agree.

  8. #78
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,133

    Default

    I hope the Megaupload case is somehow resolved without conviction, because I would rather not see all the other filehosters go down as well. I am quite happy with how easy stealing is right now.

  9. #79
    figsfiggyfigs
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I hope the Megaupload case is somehow resolved without conviction, because I would rather not see all the other filehosters go down as well. I am quite happy with how easy stealing is right now.
    I'm actually worried that this is the only but the first of a a soon-to-be mass burial of file sharing sites. It's going to be very difficult to share files from now on, even if it is for legitimate reasons.

  10. #80
    Epiphany
    Guest

    Default

    If this gets passed, there won't be any more "Hitler reacts..." videos.

    Even the Führer is opposed to SOPA.

    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvXo4sGB7zM"]Hitler reacts to SOPA[/YOUTUBE]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO