First 45678 Last

Thread: SOPA

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

First senate bill 1867 and now this? What is with congress recently?

Whatever, I'm starting to lose faith in those that represent us in the government...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    First senate bill 1867 and now this? What is with congress recently?

Whatever, I'm starting to lose faith in those that represent us in the government...
    Just starting?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFP

Well I say, you're behind the times there.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

I only scrolled through this thread so I'm sorry if it's been posted already. Here's an international petition against SOPA. SIGN IT!

http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_the_int...fTtWUbb&pv=204]
    Chimera of Filth

A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

It sounds like SOPA and PIPA are down, but knowing how things work, it'll probably be revived under a new name, perhaps with some slight modifications to prevent the abuse everyone panicked about, and passed with a much better PR campaign by Hollywood and whoever else supports it.

Personally, I want to see it pass, because when it does people are going to go fucking ape shit. Americans are still asleep when it comes to politics and their role in government and it's going to take something big like taking away their Facebook to get them to wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    It sounds like SOPA and PIPA are down, but knowing how things work, it'll probably be revived under a new name, perhaps with some slight modifications to prevent the abuse everyone panicked about, and passed with a much better PR campaign by Hollywood and whoever else supports it.

Personally, I want to see it pass, because when it does people are going to go fucking ape shit. Americans are still asleep when it comes to politics and their role in government and it's going to take something big like taking away their Facebook to get them to wake up.
    SOPA is down for the time being, but they left some space for PIPA in February.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

"Time being" are the key words. They shelved it because it was unpopular, but they can revive it anytime it starts to gain popularity (or lose opposition) is my understanding.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

"Time being" are the key words. They shelved it because it was unpopular, but they can revive it anytime it starts to gain popularity (or lose opposition) is my understanding.
    They can, but the problem for them with this fight is that a protest can be organized almost instantly because their opposition is some of the most popular websites in the world. They'd have to sneak the legislation past not just a distracted public, but Google's high-paid lawyers.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    They can, but the problem for them with this fight is that a protest can be organized almost instantly because their opposition is some of the most popular websites in the world. They'd have to sneak the legislation past not just a distracted public, but Google's high-paid lawyers.
    True that, but I also think that users are going to be too tired or distracted to care about it the second time around. Most users don't have the focus to care about something when they're not emotionally aroused, and it's hard to arouse people twice about the same issue. Not saying it's impossible, but I think it'll be harder.

True that, but I also think that users are going to be too tired or distracted to care about it the second time around. Most users don't have the focus to care about something when they're not emotionally aroused, and it's hard to arouse people twice about the same issue. Not saying it's impossible, but I think it'll be harder.
    Depends. There are already opposition organizations created by this mess, and those groups can do something about it (just needs to spread faster.)

Sounds redundant, but... boycott the E3! Don't watch it when it comes up. For every article, journal, or blog that talks about E3, throw a snippet criticizing the ESA for supporting SOPA/PIPA. For those who are thinking about attending E3, forget it. Drive it hard so that when the E3 comes up, their revenue drops.