User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Thread: SOPA

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    We do?

Humor my naivety and explain how you "know."
    I think the OPs video explains this a bit but basically the main point is that you can't actually stop piracy, ever. My uncle (computer genius) has a saying "the pirates are always one step ahead"

Even if this bill passed, the pirates simply move offshore along with most of the internet. The "SOPA will destroy the internet" is actually inaccurate. SOPA will destroy the AMERICAN internet as we know it

Because the internet, by design, cannot ever be properly enforced you have to ask the question, what is SOPA really trying to do?

If we give them the benefit of the doubt though, that it's to stop piracy, it won't actually be able to do so

My personal take on it, is old people trying to police something way over their heads. It will not effect me, okay so youtube dies, big deal, a new overseas company will take its place, all SOPA does is hurt the USA and to be cold.... not my problem

Digital copyright makes me laugh, you can never completely stop people from copying digital media, there will always be a percentage that will, they just need to get over it and market in ways that people actually want to buy the original

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Unique View Post
    My personal take on it, is old people trying to police something way over their heads.
    That's how I view it too -- not directly aimed to censor, but instead just pure incompetence/misguided solutions.
    The censorship is an undesirable side effect

they just need to get over it and market in ways that people actually want to buy the original
    Lots of ways to do that. Look at MMO's nowadays -- the "free to play" model is taking hold over the industry, whereas they make their money off providing add'l features via microtransactions. of course, it helped that MMO's have always been an Internet business, so there's a more inherent understanding of how to leverage the tech to best entice the consumer base.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Recent article about White House stance:
    http://news.yahoo.com/sopa-opera-whi...223000003.html
    The information on the White House stance was fine, but quotes like "Less clear, however, is how such a blackout would further their goal of stopping such legislation or any related proposals that might follow." just make me think...how does this guy have a job?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    The information on the White House stance was fine, but quotes like "Less clear, however, is how such a blackout would further their goal of stopping such legislation or any related proposals that might follow." just make me think...how does this guy have a job?
    Heh yeah, that article was horrible. It read like something you'd see on Fox News...
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    Heh yeah, that article was horrible. It read like something you'd see on Fox News...
    Well, maybe that explains why he has a job. Blindly parroting the company line can help with job security, I suppose.

I doubt Fox News will mention the blackout on their station today.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    Well, let's not even get into that.

I still get Newsweek because my mom paid for what seems like 3000 years of advance subscriptions () but ever since it's merged with The Daily Beast, it's become not much more than opinion fodder and sensationalist headlines, even more than it might have been in the past.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

If you want to hear what Fox News actually thinks about the blackout, here's a link.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/...-piracy-bills/

They're really hitting the "dissenting editor" angle hard. They're doing everything they can to portray wikipedia as foolish with the quote from the Twitter CEO. And they don't really address the concerns of the people opposing SOPA and PIPA. They only show response quotes from the supporters. Propaganda, as expected.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    If you want to hear what Fox News actually thinks about the blackout, here's a link.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/...-piracy-bills/

They're really hitting the "dissenting editor" angle hard. They're doing everything they can to portray wikipedia as foolish with the quote from the Twitter CEO. And they don't really address the concerns of the people opposing SOPA and PIPA. They only show response quotes from the supporters. Propaganda, as expected.
    I didn't really care to know what Fox News had to say, but that sure is consistent. Laying on the biased support for the big media companies and cleverly wording their commentary to make the dissenters look like whiners. Just like what they do with everything else...
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Unique View Post
    One other point with piracy is it in fact does very little to effect sales, especially when it comes to less popular content. As is the case with a lot of pirated content the only reason the person downloads it because it is free, if they had to pay for it they would simply go without and by getting it for free they are actually getting more exposure of their media which can drive sales of things such as concerts and merchandise
    Yep.

I still rent and buy movies - yet I can't find half of Miyazaki's stuff around here, so, I just might turn to the interwebs.

I still buy manga volumes, but I can't watch anime that Hulu lets pretty much every American watch for free because I live in another country. So I'm going clandestine.

Can you hear the people seeeeeng, singing the song of angry meeeeeeennn...
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Can you hear the people seeeeeng, singing the song of angry meeeeeeennn...
    Pretty much. Knowledge is power and the internet being one of the biggest bodies of collected knowledge, the government wants to reign it in. Power struggle that like others have said, they couldn't win even if they tried. It will prove to be a growing problem as time progresses I think and technology advances, since the enormity of the internet without regulation from the governments point of view could prove dangerous. I don't presume to know the correct way to go about it but this won't work. Regardless of how many experts they may or may not have spouting prolix all over the media.
    "Though this be madness, yet there is method in't."