Thread: SOPA

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    That's just ridiculous.

Maybe I'm not fully comprehending this issue but how is posting a link to copyrighted material wrong as long as you explicitly state that the material is copyrighted and you're not trying to pass off the material as your own?
    I agree but its something which is lagging behind the technology which exists today and how it is used too.

One of the greatest instances which I can think of is YouTube and meme or viral content most of the posting behaviour which makes for these sorts of things would be impossible if everyone paused to try and contemplate the legal ramifications of doing so. Also are you going to prosecute children or those most likely to be using these technologies in this way? It would be expense and pointless.

The reality is that piracy is already illegal, there are already laws on the books for dealing with it, the state has got to begin realising that applying existing laws rather than getting new ones on the books is the way to go and if that is too slow or cuts into the ridiculous profit margins of their sponsors then their mission should be to get those same sponsors to reappraise things and adjust their expectations rather than respond how they are with new laws.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Why so?
    Baby boomers want to regulate a medium they don't understand and they have the audacity to say they don't need to understand it. This is just one of many examples of why the boomer generation sucks.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

One other point with piracy is it in fact does very little to effect sales, especially when it comes to less popular content. As is the case with a lot of pirated content the only reason the person downloads it because it is free, if they had to pay for it they would simply go without and by getting it for free they are actually getting more exposure of their media which can drive sales of things such as concerts and merchandise

We all know the piracy thing is a front though for passing censorship laws

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Baby boomers want to regulate a medium they don't understand and they have the audacity to say they don't need to understand it. This is just one of many examples of why the boomer generation sucks.
    Tell us how you really feel.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

For those who think this is only a Media vs Tech Battle.

http://www.leagueforgamers.org/ <---- Join up, like it, spread it out.

The ESA made a bad decision to back this bill.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

It makes me kinda frightened that some one even thought up this bill. What is it about some baby boomers that like to choke and stifle new and fandagled things? Anything that threatens thier comfy little lives, they seek to cut it off at the knees.
    It's not just the good old US of A this bill will effect, it's frikin' anti-competitive on a international stage. It's so wrong, and so devo, that the internet will never be the same.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Evidence?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Unique View Post
    One other point with piracy is it in fact does very little to effect sales, especially when it comes to less popular content. As is the case with a lot of pirated content the only reason the person downloads it because it is free, if they had to pay for it they would simply go without and by getting it for free they are actually getting more exposure of their media which can drive sales of things such as concerts and merchandise
    It might not be SO clear-cut, but yes, I think that trend is in place.
    I know it's also how I operate; and if I actually like something, I will pony up for the actual distributed media.

We all know the piracy thing is a front though for passing censorship laws
    We do?

Humor my naivety and explain how you "know."

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Evidence?
    Isn't this situation under discussion one of those pieces of evidence?

This isn't a weird idea. I tend to avoid Boomer-intensive support groups because they typically seem to spiral into unprompted lectures and a need to stamp out diversity, since whatever was right for the Boomer should be right for everyone; it's exasperating to deal with. (e.g., offer a point of view in the group just to relate something about your life, and immediately a few people in the group at least are criticizing it or telling you the way you should be thinking about your life.) They're the "me" generation that capitalism was spawned from and the free 60's was all about; there is a big shift from "me" thought into "communal" thought from the Boomers to the Gen Y's.

EDIT:

Recent article about White House stance:
    http://news.yahoo.com/sopa-opera-whi...223000003.html
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Here a link to sign a petition to oppose SOPA and PIPA https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
    I signed it and shared it on facebook. I hope there is enough of a stir to stop it. The internet is our last bastion of free speech.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INTP

That was a good article. The DNS video in the middle was quite annoying, though.