User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Thread: SOPA

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

This is just another example of why I believe this country will be a lot better off once most of the baby boomers are dead. Stupidest generation ever.

[youtube=WJIuYgIvKsc]Stop SOPA[/youtube]
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/01/geeks-sopa/

"Rep. Darrell Issa (R-California), a major opponent of the Stop Online Piracy Act, announced Monday he is bringing in the techies to hold a public hearing highlighting the online security implications of a proposed bill that would force changes to internet infrastructure to fight online copyright infringement.

Issa is the chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform. The hearing is set for Jan. 18."
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

http://money.cnn.com/2012/01/16/tech...opa_wikipedia/

Rupert Murdoch, the CEO of News Corp. (NWS), voiced his frustration with the White House's stance in a series of tweets over the weekend.

"Obama has thrown in his lot with Silicon Valley paymasters who threaten all software creators with piracy, plain thievery," Murdoch wrote on Twitter.

In addition to Murdoch, SOPA has drawn support from groups including the Motion Picture Association of America and the Recording Industry Association of America, which say that online piracy leads to U.S. job losses by depriving content creators of income.
    And why is Murdoch a supporter of this bill? Sounds ironic, don't you think?

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    http://money.cnn.com/2012/01/16/tech...opa_wikipedia/

And why is Murdoch a supporter of this bill? Sounds ironic, don't you think?
    Well, he does own 20th Century Fox, so he's kind of benefitting from movies not being ilegally streamed...
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Well, he does own 20th Century Fox, so he's kind of benefitting from movies not being ilegally streamed...
    Well, part of his company using under-handed topics.

Also, look at the YouTube vid @Lateralus posted.

I heard about this yesterday, it made the mainstream news in the UK because Rupert Murdoch was tweeting about how criminal he thought Google was.

Something wrong with reportage and news these days.

FigerPuppet

I hope Murdoch and his children/possible heirs choke on their caviar.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    This is just another example of why I believe this country will be a lot better off once most of the baby boomers are dead. Stupidest generation ever.

[youtube=WJIuYgIvKsc]Stop SOPA[/youtube]
    Whatever that guy's smoking...

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhwuXNv8fJM

I haven't seen anything about this here, even though it's quite important, because it would basically destroy the internet. Including TypoC. Haight would be accountable for felonies if anyone posted a link to copyrighted material.
    That's just ridiculous.

Maybe I'm not fully comprehending this issue but how is posting a link to copyrighted material wrong as long as you explicitly state that the material is copyrighted and you're not trying to pass off the material as your own?
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Why so?