User Tag List

First 5131415

Thread: SOPA

"The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Semi victory, no SOPA but also no megaupload

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvsC2k3HAKo

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I guess we should be worrying about ACTA, as well.

[youtube=qlFyoEKV0dE]ACTA[/youtube]
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I guess we should be worrying about ACTA, as well.

[youtube=qlFyoEKV0dE]ACTA[/youtube]
    And if this is stopped, there will be more. It's not only going to take a serious, protracted resistance to all these sorts of laws, it is going to require a broad confrontation of all so-called "content providing" businesses and the way they do business for this stuff will stop.

By the way, I think it's interesting how the primary catalyst for complete loss of privacy has been business interests. Not quite 1984, is it?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    And if this is stopped, there will be more. It's not only going to take a serious, protracted resistance to all these sorts of laws, it is going to require a broad confrontation of all so-called "content providing" businesses and the way they do business for this stuff will stop.

By the way, I think it's interesting how the primary catalyst for complete loss of privacy has been business interests. Not quite 1984, is it?
    The US has already signed it. I had never even heard of it until today.

I think capitalist nations just take a different route to extreme totalitarianism than Oceania. We're clearly headed toward fascism.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    The US has already signed it. I had never even heard of it until today.
    Yes. The EU is the current front. They kind of have to say no to it, or else it's a steamroller.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP

I really enjoyed Tim O'Reilly's thoughts on SOPA/PIPA: https://plus.google.com/107033731246...ts/BEDukdz2B1r (And, hey, the comments section below the article isn't a third-grade playground fiasco, either--lots of interesting dialogue there.)

I saw the ACTA video the other day, and was left terrified. I can't believe we are actually letting this 1984 b.s. happen. I'm pretty horrified with the choices the US has for public officials these days, on both sides of the aisle.

I also can't believe people my parents' ages are the ones legislating this stuff. I have to explain the most basic computer-related things to my dad pretty much every time he turns his computer on and I happen to be around. He doesn't understand how the internet works, either, but, thank goodness, he's not an elected US official. If any version of any of these bills get passed, these Senators and Representatives can kiss their seats goodbye. The loss of Hollywood bribes may sting, but all the money in the world won't be enough to re-elect these guys and gals after they attach themselves to the worst idea in the world, and the average person sees how it affects their lives.
    Something Witty