User Tag List

First 412131415 Last

Thread: SOPA

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Putting aside the question of whether or not pirates have legitimate incentives, I'd point to the case of Spore again. People did aim to pirate it, the attempt to stop the pirates totally failed, and it did make things worse for legitimate customers. It's a weird system to try stopping an inevitability by hurting those who are unrelated to it.
    It kind of reminds me of the drug war.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

http://kotaku.com/5877996/esa-drops-sopa-support

ESA backs down, wonder if there will still be a backlash when E3 comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by ESA
    concerns have been expressed about unintended consequences stemming from the current legislative proposals
    Such as

Quote Originally Posted by Kotaku
    Their presumed continued support led to calls for a press and developer boycott of E3
    Lul

-source

Quote Originally Posted by Swivelinglight View Post
    Such as

Lul

-source
    That's the thing, damage control. What is out is out, you would think they knew about the implications of SOPA and PIPA considering they were an avid defender of freedom of speech in games.

What is even worse, they waited until afterwards to signal that they won't support the bill.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    You certainly implied it. It may be a legitimate implication, but I need more than just your word on that.
    o.O

Come over here, I'll show you...

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    o.O

Come over here, I'll show you...
    hot
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Our political system is so fucking corrupt, it's sickening. And Christopher Dodd is a fascist traitor. He should at least be charged with bribery or extortion (though I'd prefer to see him executed for treason) for these statements:

"Candidly, those who count on quote 'Hollywood' for support need to understand that this industry is watching very carefully who's going to stand up for them when their job is at stake," Dodd told Fox News. "Don't ask me to write a check for you when you think your job is at risk and then don't pay any attention to me when my job is at stake."
    "I would caution people don't make the assumption that because the quote 'Hollywood community' has been historically supportive of Democrats, which they have, don't make the false assumptions this year that because we did it in years past, we will do it this year," said Dodd. "These issues before us -- this is the only issue that goes right to the heart of this industry."
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...ney-over-anti/
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    IsFJ

Just because I can't not share this...

(Not made by me, of course. )
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    Since when is an Apple worth it compared to all the computers and laptops out there? Since when is an Iphone worth it's price compared to other phones like the Droid? Since when is seeing a picture of the Golden Gate Bridge worth not going there to see it for yourself? Since when is it worth it to go to the movie theaters to watch a movie as opposed to watching it at home? Since when is it ever worth it to go to Comic-Con or E3 instead of watching a video about it? Since when is buying good food worth it compared to McDs? Since when are the tickets worth it to see your favorite sports team "live?"

Not all people want digital copies. People are still willing to buy a hard copy. People are still willing to buy hard covered books while many are also willing to buy digital copy of books. You know what is worth it? The box, the handheld picture that came with it, sometimes, a small wallpaper that came with buying that $30-$60 dollar game sometimes a little toy of some kind that is part of the box.

Besides that, I sometimes build figures as a hobby now and then, I still keep the boxes. Why? Because I consider it as part of the action figures and because the box is an art all to itself, it is a keepsake. Hell, seeing a Groudon or Ho-Oh in my gameboy days made all the difference, and I still have the boxes for the Ruby, Gold, and Yellow. Thinking of the time it took to create something like Skyrim makes all the difference, sometimes the amount of effort makes something worth it. [yada yada yada]

--------------------------------------------

Don't get me wrong, I sort of like how steam is doing it, I just don't want all my games tied to them.

In any case, I've had cds and dvds since I was in middle school (cd/dvd still wasn't big yet until I got to middle school) and many of them are still in mint condition. Hell, I still have some VHS since I was in elementary school that still work. I also have digital copies of games because of the workaround that steam does it (why buy a hardcover when all it is going to do is redirect you to steam to download it?)
    Mac laptops have a lot more durability, and generally you'll run into less conflicts in apple software. The iPhone has much better security than a Droid, the Droid's have awful security with tons of security holes. That is beside the point though because you're not paying for the operating system, and so far as I see, not related to my point.

Anyway, my point is that you have bought the content. If you want to pay more to have special editions or what have you, that's fine. My gripe is when the only way to get it is with a physical copy of it, and if something happens to it, even if it's your fault, the cost of making the box, writing the dvd, don't cost that much and you have already paid for the content and expenses that writing and designing the game cost. For games I really like, I usually buy the physical copy too, but there's the option of just downloading it too.

Back in the bad old days, I've had plenty of cd's that got eaten by the computer drive, wrecked in the car, or in the portable cd player...

Quote Originally Posted by kdk View Post
    Mac laptops have a lot more durability, and generally you'll run into less conflicts in apple software. The iPhone has much better security than a Droid, the Droid's have awful security with tons of security holes. That is beside the point though because you're not paying for the operating system, and so far as I see, not related to my point.
    Both are moot points, it is like the old saying where Mac had less viruses than Windows (when of course, the popularity for a Mac/Apple was still small at the time.)

You want to know something, I see Apples/Macs as overprice piece of technology that I can get for cheaper. Hell, I'd rather buy(for laptops) a mid-level Alienware than buy a low end Mac. I refuse to get an i7-Core from Apple when I can get that same i7-Core for cheaper. The only point I see with Apple/Macs are their battery life. How about Apple being able to use Windows? I can use Virtualbox.

Anyway, my point is that you have bought the content. If you want to pay more to have special editions or what have you, that's fine. My gripe is when the only way to get it is with a physical copy of it, and if something happens to it, even if it's your fault, the cost of making the box, writing the dvd, don't cost that much and you have already paid for the content and expenses that writing and designing the game cost. For games I really like, I usually buy the physical copy too, but there's the option of just downloading it too.
    The mental image I'm getting of is that you ate the cake, but you want another one because you paid for the cake you already ate. Therefore, you don't need to buy the second one because you've paid for the first one. That is the mental metaphor/picture I am getting. Yes, there are countless ways I can spin this.

Back in the bad old days, I've had plenty of cd's that got eaten by the computer drive, wrecked in the car, or in the portable cd player...
    And there's steam.

Still, most accidents aren't accidents. I treat the things I care about with some respect. For the ones that I don't? You can see the results.

Lots of people can trash their new computers, laptops, xbox, ps3, Wii, phones, etc in just under a year and blame it on something/someone else.