User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

Thread: SOPA

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    I see the article you posted with Gabe Newell's opinion (Valve co-founder), "Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem." Gabe's opinion doesn't add up unless he's saying that people only pirate region-locked releases or the likes that are only sold in brick and morter stores (and if he's ONLY talking about his company). My response to that is what shallow thinking. He's clearly trying to sell a product; I guess that's why he's pitching 'Steam'.
    Everyone is trying to sell something. What he's selling actually works. Other companies should look at what Valve is doing and take notes, but they're not.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post

TED talks about this subject.

Workers don't immediately say that a customer is a thief. In fact, that is the fastest way to get your employer to decline you or fire you.

f2p and p2p mmo's don't work because people pirate the games, they work because it is that much better to play the real version with its community. If the community is bad and the service is bad, that is when you get the hundreds of offshoots of an mmo.
    Awesome video. He even managed to alter my opinion on this issue, somewhat (though I still need to process that information some more before I'll be able to articulate exactly how it was altered).
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    If any US citizens here are against SOPA, plzzzz plzzz plzzz don't vote for more elitist, authoritarian politicians, because I really really want uninhibited access to the internet and I don't want more laws telling me how I'm supposed to live my life. thx. If you want to live in a restrictive, authoritarian society can't you just learn another language and go "insert name of almost every country in world here". thx.
    We aren't having this problem because of any one administration. We have lived in an authoritarian society for a long time now.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Everyone is trying to sell something. What he's selling actually works. Other companies should look at what Valve is doing and take notes, but they're not.
    Understood.

Quote Originally Posted by Swivelinglight View Post
    Huh?

You do know valve operates in the gaming industry and its primary market is PC gaming. The market that pirates the most in term of all gaming markets. Not only that but they have constant top sellers.

They're not some ambiguous corporation that no one knows of. Every pc gamer worth their salt knows of valve and their games, they have been defining the industry for ages.

You'd think that with that recognition and their market they'd be hit hard by piracy, like EA has. But they haven't.

I won't connect the dots for you

Take a guess, I'll give you a hint

It starts with P
    Please connect the dots because you're not making any sense other than I see your lost, with regard to my posts and that's why I asked you "who is they?" That simple question allowed me to confirm that you're lost. Since you said it starts with P, I know for sure now that you're lost and didn't read the surrounding posts (and article) to understand the context of my posts.

For clarification, I am not arguing that gamers pirate software. Where you got that from, I have no idea.

Here is the relevant thread history to get you up to speed on the context of my posts that you confuzzldly responded to:

A lot of piracy takes place because it's simply not convenient to go the legal route. It's not all about cost.
    Disagree with you there. I buy MP3's, ebooks, on Amazon all the time. My payment method is already on file, I click and dowload to my phone (via an app), PC, or tablet. It's very convenient. It all happens in a matter of seconds.
    Well, I'm not the only person with this opinion. Some people who are a lot more knowledgeable on the subject than either of us would disagree with you. See my most recent post.
    I see the article you posted (http://www.industrygamers.com/news/v...y-a-non-issue/) with Gabe Newell's opinion (Valve co-founder),

GABE NEWELLS'S OPINION: "Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem."

Gabe's opinion doesn't add up unless he's saying that people only pirate region-locked releases or the likes that are only sold in brick and morter stores (and if he's ONLY talking about his company). My response to that is what shallow thinking. He's clearly trying to sell a product; I guess that's why he's pitching 'Steam'.
    NOTE: My comment in red above was taken from the article that Lateralus posted: http://www.industrygamers.com/news/v...y-a-non-issue/, and was paraphrased from something VALVE's co-founder said in the article...

Gabe Newell states:
    "Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem, For example, if a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24 x 7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the US release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate's service is more valuable." <-- This is the quote that I called shallow thinking.

Here's where you're not making sense with regard to the above conversation. First, I'm not just talking about games. Second, Gabe Newell, co-founder of Valve probably was only talking about games, but if it wasn't it was shallow thinker thinking. Third, my point was simply that the article is not sufficient evidence to prove the argument that "people pirate online (not limited to games) because it's convenient":

Tell me how your post below, which isn't something any of us disagreed on, is relevant to what I stated?

GABE NEWELL either doesn't know what in the hell he's talking about OR he's talking about something very specific to sell his company's STEAM product. The article that was probably written by a first grader.

Huh?

You do know valve operates in the gaming industry and its primary market is PC gaming. The market that pirates the most in term of all gaming markets. Not only that but they have constant top sellers.

They're not some ambiguous corporation that no one knows of. Every pc gamer worth their salt knows of valve and their games, they have been defining the industry for ages.

You'd think that with that recognition and their market they'd be hit hard by piracy, like EA has. But they haven't.

I won't connect the dots for you

Take a guess, I'll give you a hint

It starts with P

MBTI
    INTP

Piracy is essential to the sustainment of the entertainment industry as we know it, pure and simple

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

So you're saying that because your personal experience has been convenient, that everyone else must have a comparably convenient experience? I haven't downloaded music in ages and I've never downloaded an ebook. As a result, I don't know how convenient those are to download today. Maybe me not taking your personal experience as industry-wide gospel is silly.

Please connect the dots because you're not making any sense other than I see your lost

Claiming someone is lost doesn't make it true. I know below you attempted to prove this but you did a poor job of it. In fact you're changing what your initial statements were (or redefining them) and that shows that you're the one truly lost. I will explain below.

For clarification, I am not arguing that gamers pirate software. Where you got that from, I have no idea.
    Where you got the idea I was arguing gamers DO or DON'T pirate software, I have no idea. It shows you're truly the one lost. I mentioned

People don't pirate valve games.They must have a soft spot for shallow thinkers
    Because it shows Valve's strategy against piracy is working. Refuting your previous point that Gabe Newell is a shallow thinker or does not know what he's talking about. I'm sorry you could not comprehend that and I had to literally SPELL it out for you.

Here's where you're not making sense with regard to the above conversation. First, I'm not just talking about games. Second, Gabe Newell, co-founder of Valve probably was only talking about games, but if he wasn't he's a shallow thinker. Third, my point was simply that the article is not sufficient evidence to prove the argument that "people pirate online (not limited to games) because it's inconvenient":
    I'm not making any sense??

Me refuting the fact that you said Gabe Newell is a shallow thinker makes no sense? Because that's what I've been doing. I brought up Valves history for you in a previous post to illustrate just that. This article was hosted on a site called "INDUSTRY GAMERS" I wonder in what context Gabe Newell is talking of. Hmm probably TV shows right, RITE!?

Gabe Newell, co-founder of Valve probably was only talking about games, but if he wasn't he's a shallow thinker.
    It's good to know you finally have changed your mind to Newell not being a shallow thinker. Because obviously he was talking about the gaming industry. Looks like my job is done.

GABE NEWELL either doesn't know what in the hell he's talking about OR he's talking about something very specific to sell his company's STEAM product. The article that was probably written by a first grader.
    Or he does know what the hell he's talking about because he has experience with piracy. (which my previous post stated which is why it's relevant. And no it's not to sell his STEAM product because Steam is fucking free.

So you're saying that because your personal experience has been convenient, that everyone else must have a comparably convenient experience? I haven't downloaded music in ages and I've never downloaded an ebook. As a result, I don't know how convenient those are to download today. Maybe me not taking your personal experience as industry-wide gospel is silly.
    Precisely why I posted:

ITT:
    people who think pirates only pirate the media that they consume

It's obvious from this interaction with Nerdgirl that she has little experience or knowledge of piracy in the gaming industry. I'd be surprised if she knew much of piracy outside of the immediate online media she interacts with. In that regard she's prolly not one to learn much from in this subject. Or one to be taken seriously.

A window to the soul

Claiming someone is lost doesn't make it true. I know below you attempted to prove this but you did a poor job of it. In fact you're changing what your initial statements were (or redefining them) and that shows that you're the one truly lost. I will explain below.

Where you got the idea I was arguing gamers DO or DON'T pirate software, I have no idea. It shows you're truly the one lost. I mentioned

Because it shows Valve's strategy against piracy is working. Refuting your previous point that Gabe Newell is a shallow thinker or does not know what he's talking about. I'm sorry you could not comprehend that and I had to literally SPELL it out for you.

I'm not making any sense??

Me refuting the fact that you said Gabe Newell is a shallow thinker makes no sense? Because that's what I've been doing. I brought up Valves history for you in a previous post to illustrate just that. This article was hosted on a site called "INDUSTRY GAMERS" I wonder in what context Gabe Newell is talking of. Hmm probably TV shows right, RITE!?

It's good to know you finally have changed your mind to Newell not being a shallow thinker. Because obviously he was talking about the gaming industry. Looks like my job is done.

Or he does know what the hell he's talking about because he has experience with piracy. (which my previous post stated which is why it's relevant. And no it's not to sell his STEAM product because Steam is fucking free.
    Seriously, please stop. You're off on an emo tangent. I already clarified.

I never stated Gabe was shallow. (That was never my intention.) I specifically said his quote. Big difference. [Go back and reread my posts please.]

I never stated Gabe was shallow.
    mmmhmmmm

if he wasn't he's a shallow thinker

/snore

Seriously, please stop. You're off on an emo tangent

What's that?

Oh yeah...it's the sound of losing

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

-----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------