User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Results 101 to 110 of 147

Thread: SOPA

  1. #101
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    I see the article you posted with Gabe Newell's opinion (Valve co-founder), "Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem." Gabe's opinion doesn't add up unless he's saying that people only pirate region-locked releases or the likes that are only sold in brick and morter stores (and if he's only talking about his company's products). My response to that is what shallow thinking. He's clearly trying to sell a product. I guess that's why he's pitching 'Steam'.
    I lool'd



    People don't pirate valve games.

    They must have a soft spot for shallow thinkers

  2. #102
    Freaking Ratchet Rail Tracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    I see the article you posted with Gabe Newell's opinion (Valve co-founder), "Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem." Gabe's opinion doesn't add up unless he's saying that people only pirate region-locked releases or the likes that are only sold in brick and morter stores (and if he's ONLY talking about his company). My response to that is what shallow thinking. He's clearly trying to sell a product; I guess that's why he's pitching 'Steam'.


    TED talks about this subject.

    Workers don't immediately say that a customer is a thief. In fact, that is the fastest way to get your employer to decline you or fire you.

    f2p and p2p mmo's don't work because people pirate the games, they work because it is that much better to play the real version with its community. If the community is bad and the service is bad, that is when you get the hundreds of offshoots of an mmo.

  3. #103
    lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,170

    Default

    I don't really think the issues is about pirated movies. My personal experience has been I long ago give that up when a cheap and safe (free from malware) method became available. My understanding is most peeps who are not so tech savy do the same.
    At the same time who hasn't tried to watched an episode of a beloved t.v. Show on say you tube, or other similar sites because it will 6 months, if at all, before it's shown on t.v. in your country of residency.

    I'm not justifying this btw, it's just that traditional media outlets haven't evolved.

    We don't even have access to Netflix or that Tv site, here in Australia, unless we do some funky cheating thing that masks IP address. Some of the more tech savy folks know what I mean.
    Hell, I can't download some books I want off amazon because copyright law moves VERY slowly. Oh I can buy them at the local bookstore though.
    My point is traditional media hasn't kept up with technology. This isn't so much about piracy, but businesses failing to realize, the world's a different place. Those legslations were drafted by people who barely understand the Internet. Maybe it's time to throw it back to the Internet community, and techies and see what they come up with.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  4. #104
    A window to the soul
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swivelinglight View Post
    I lool'd

    People don't pirate valve games.
    Well, there ya go. What does Gabe know about piracy? He said, "Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem." The article did not point to any credible source for market research. Maybe Gabe is supposed to be the credible source, huh?

    Quote Originally Posted by Swivelinglight View Post
    They must have a soft spot for shallow thinkers
    Who is "they"?

  5. #105
    Senior Member LEGERdeMAIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by senza_tema View Post
    This was a healthy reminder for me, so thank you. I guess this isn't the most appropriate thread for your point but it's very important nonetheless.
    Also: notification.
    Actually, I do think this is an appropriate thread to bring up NDAA, since it's a part of a long string of bills that dramatically cuts back on individual freedoms in the US. It's important to realize that the culture of dependency on the State to solve all of our problems has allowed SOPA and the latest NDAA, the "patriot" act, etc, etc to be passed. So while you may think that it's necessary to oppose SOPA, it would be futile to only oppose SOPA, you need to voice your opposition to the role corporations play in politics, the role government plays in the private affairs of citizens and to the Welfare State which, being a giant pig, inevitably produces little piglets who learn to rely on the State to provide for their basic needs while producing nothing of value - not for themselves and not for society. It's just so fucking frustrating to see how history keeps repeating itself and generation after generation chooses to give their trust to government until they do something that immediately and directly affects the citizens. It's frustrating that even when legislature introduces a law like SOPA, they choose to ignore all of the other laws that have been passed that eliminate rights that Americans have enjoyed since the founding of the first colony(which was a really really long time ago). If any US citizens here are against SOPA, plzzzz plzzz plzzz don't vote for more elitist, authoritarian politicians, because I really really want uninhibited access to the internet and I don't want more laws telling me how I'm supposed to live my life. thx. If you want to live in a restrictive, authoritarian society can't you just learn another language and go "insert name of almost every country in world here". thx.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”


  6. #106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    Actually, I do think this is an appropriate thread to bring up NDAA, since it's a part of a long string of bills that dramatically cuts back on individual freedoms in the US. It's important to realize that the culture of dependency on the State to solve all of our problems has allowed SOPA and the latest NDAA, the "patriot" act, etc, etc to be passed. So while you may think that it's necessary to oppose SOPA, it would be futile to only oppose SOPA, you need to voice your opposition to the role corporations play in politics, the role government plays in the private affairs of citizens and to the Welfare State which, being a giant pig, inevitably produces little piglets who learn to rely on the State to provide for their basic needs while producing nothing of value - not for themselves and not for society. It's just so fucking frustrating to see how history keeps repeating itself and generation after generation chooses to give their trust to government until they do something that immediately and directly affects the citizens. It's frustrating that even when legislature introduces a law like SOPA, they choose to ignore all of the other laws that have been passed that eliminate rights that Americans have enjoyed since the founding of the first colony(which was a really really long time ago). If any US citizens here are against SOPA, plzzzz plzzz plzzz don't vote for more elitist, authoritarian politicians, because I really really want uninhibited access to the internet and I don't want more laws telling me how I'm supposed to live my life. thx. If you want to live in a restrictive, authoritarian society can't you just learn another language and go "insert name of almost every country in world here". thx.
    Frankly, I'm astounded at how much I agree with you.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

  7. #107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Word. This is why I am against SOPA/PIPA. Not because I support piracy, but because I am against bad law.
    Right on cue, just as I was about to log into TypC, my father asks me... "so what is all this SOPA bullshit about?" I try to convert my annoyance to dispassionate summation, to which he responds "So you're okay with piracy?"



    To which I respond "Nooo. I just disagree with handing our legislative body a carte blanche regulation stick over a global industry that they do not know (or more importantly care) how it works."
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

  8. #108
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I keep hearing this argument, and to me it sounds like the argument that hemp is really cool for making pants and rope. "New business model" is just a bunch of people trying to justify their behavior. I find it unlikely that there is a business model that will deliver the product for cheaper than free, which is what they're paying now.
    I shouldn't have to pay for a game/movie/etc twice because a cd/dvd is unreadable... Somehow I doubt the cd/dvd is worth $60 or whatever they originally sell it for.

  9. #109
    Freaking Ratchet Rail Tracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kdk View Post
    I shouldn't have to pay for a game twice because a cd/dvd breaks... Somehow I doubt the CD/DVD is worth $60.
    That depends on the content, and the reason why your CD/DVD broke in the first place. Most don't break just because they do.

  10. #110
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Well, there ya go. What does Gabe know about piracy?
    Huh?

    You do know valve operates in the gaming industry and its primary market is PC gaming. The market that pirates the most in term of all gaming markets. Not only that but they have constant top sellers.

    They're not some ambiguous corporation that no one knows of. Every pc gamer worth their salt knows of valve and their games, they have been defining the industry for ages.


    You'd think that with that recognition and their market they'd be hit hard by piracy, like EA has. But they haven't.

    I won't connect the dots for you



    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post

    Who is "they"?

    Take a guess, I'll give you a hint

    It starts with P

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO