User Tag List

First 456

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Ended up watching the whole movie from which some clips from above were posted.

It was very good - highly recommend watching it.

[0/30]
    Last edited by Zarathustra; 12-20-2011 at 04:40 PM.

MBTI
    IsFJ

I just saw this article... It's more about the reaction to Hitchens' death than about him (although it does pass judgment on the man himself), though. Pretty interesting.

http://www.racialicious.com/2011/12/...g-controversy/

I don't know what to think about it. :/
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

That article was fucking retarded, written by complete halfwit.

"Disdain for “political correctness” is often positioned as a concern that some important truth is not being spoken for fear of offending someone. But that concern is nothing but smoke and mirrors. To invoke “political correctness” is really to be concerned about loss of power and privilege."

Sure thing, toots.

[17/30]

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    I just saw this article... It's more about the reaction to Hitchens' death than about him (although it does pass judgment on the man himself), though. Pretty interesting.

Some good points.

To be honest Hitchens convinced me of the low standards of public pundits, courting sensationalism and controversy for a percentage. It was totally and utterly pathetic. He was also one of many viciously anti-Christian pundits in a formerly Christian nation, which to me put him in that special category of people who are priviledged by accident of birth to benefit from legacies they then set upon tearing at in the most brutal and shameless way they can.

I used to think his brother was more interesting, the old right/eighties right and Christian pundit but on a closer reading I found as much in his Rage Against God book to disagree with as his Athiest brother, while their muse was different I think their character was absolutely similar.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by IntrovertedThinker View Post
    He was a prominent and very powerful voice of reason (along with a few other very respectable atheists). Sources say he never once "repented" or "asked for forgiveness" before death. I highly admire that. The intellectual resolve to stick to one's principles even in the face of death is very honorable. Some may now make stupid comments, like "He's now in hell burning for living a wicked atheist lifestyle," but they're ultimately morons to be ignored. And when I am on my death bed, I'll still have a few negative things to say about religion/God -- I'll just mostly dislike the fact that my ONE life is ending.

Never give in!!! Never sell out!!! That's the way to go. HARD.

/respect
    Its sad that in this day and age that all you need do to be considered "rational" is reject a fairy tale.

Its not good manners to start insulting the dead but at the same time I feel some things need to be said. Hitchens was facist, racist narcissistic slab of flesh in a vaguely human shape. He threw his friends(Sid Bluementhal) to the wolves to satisfy his histrionic needs. He claimed to have some sort of Leftist sympathies while trying not to pass out from lack of blood from his massive erection for pure power.

He claimed to be an "anti-establishment" writer yet he spent a good amount of time defending the bloodthirsty actions of barbarian leaders tooth and nail. From the Falklands to Iraq he never found an excuse to murder brown people he didnt like. Before you hang me for calling him a racist hear me out first.

He wrote extensively in the 1980s criticizing the Neocons and their batshit insanity which was at this point aimed at the Soviet Union. So when Neocons go after white people its evil and bad but when they go after brown people Hitchens is the first person to defend them.

And while we're on the subject of brown people:

So what did divide Hitchens from the Left? I think it may more reasonably be argued a sense of decency, which Hitchens too often lacked. In October 1992, Hitchens explained in The Nation that his "old comrade, David Dellinger" — one of the most extraordinary and inspiring men of the last century — had phoned to inform Hitchens of his impending protest on Colombus Day. Hitchens rejected this protest. Hitchens was not sure whether such a protest was "merely risible or faintly sinister." Such a protest is sinister "because it is an ignorant celebration of stasis and backwardness, with an unpleasant tinge of self-hatred."

"1492 was a very good year," Hitchens impatiently explained, and "deserves to be celebrated with great vim and gusto."

Those "who view the history of North America as a narrative of genocide and slavery" fail to understand that this is "the way that history is made, and to complain about it is as empty as complaint about climatic, geological or tectonic shift." The annihilation of the Native Americans was an instance that left "humanity on a slightly higher plane than it knew before," inaugurating an "early boundless epoch of opportunity and innovation."
    http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/3737110.html

In conclusion, Hitchens was a man of moderate literary talent and a British accent which assured him a long career in America. He never found an ideal or human being that meant more to him than achieving fame, he hated everyone with a funny accent or smudgy skin and the only thing that he really cared about was unrestrained power. To best describe Hitchens I feel like I need to quote Hitchens:

If you gave him an enema he could be buried in a matchbox.
    +10% Crit Chance

MBTI
    JOGK
    Enneagram
    Find
    Socionics
    Krab

Christopher served as inspiration for people to dig further into the reason why they believe in something, to be engaging, use your wit rather than your whoop in debate, be passionate about what you believe and above all, enjoy fine literature.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post

Anon had the best comment:
    I sort of disagree with this. Not the overall point but I think it is a very US centric response. I didn't love Hitchens but I think his comments are also much more representative of a British loquacious wit which has nothing to do with conversation between the privileged and the unprivileged. In the US political correctness is very much wrapped up in this. But Oscar Wilde, Byron, etc the whole history of louche witty cynics commenting drolly on society is class bound but not class subversive. They were mocking their class but they were very much insiders. This wasn't a "working class response" to " upper class privilege". I think the fact is that Hitchens was lauded more for his form than content. He was a very clever man who said very clever things in a sort of sneery insider boarding school Oxbridge sort of way and was perfectly happy to be inconsistent and contradictory when it served his prose, and he was late for dinner at the Ivy.

That's basically the model for British journalism.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”