First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Also, I'm not sure if you're aware, but the above made you sound like an anti-homosexual bigot.
    I'm pretty sure he is both aware and proud.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

He was a prominent and very powerful voice of reason (along with a few other very respectable atheists). Sources say he never once "repented" or "asked for forgiveness" before death. I highly admire that. The intellectual resolve to stick to one's principles even in the face of death is very honorable. Some may now make stupid comments, like "He's now in hell burning for living a wicked atheist lifestyle," but they're ultimately morons to be ignored. And when I am on my death bed, I'll still have a few negative things to say about religion/God -- I'll just mostly dislike the fact that my ONE life is ending.

Never give in!!! Never sell out!!! That's the way to go. HARD.

/respect

Sniffles

None of the religious people who've commented in this thread have said he's burning in hell.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    None of the religious people who've commented in this thread have said he's burning in hell.
    Although now that you mention it

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I never said that people in this particular thread said that he's burning in hell.
    I was speaking about general theists who often love to say such things when atheists either die or come under unfortunate circumstances.
    "God has finally answered your life of wickedness," or something similar, is often what they tend to say.

Reading properly, next time, might help you from misinterpreting my post. =]

Pastor Doug Wilson spent some time with Hitchens over the last couple of years and I appreciate his reflections.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/....html?id=94668
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Quote Originally Posted by IntrovertedThinker View Post
    He was a prominent and very powerful voice of reason (along with a few other very respectable atheists). Sources say he never once "repented" or "asked for forgiveness" before death. I highly admire that. The intellectual resolve to stick to one's principles even in the face of death is very honorable. Some may now make stupid comments, like "He's now in hell burning for living a wicked atheist lifestyle," but they're ultimately morons to be ignored. And when I am on my death bed, I'll still have a few negative things to say about religion/God -- I'll just mostly dislike the fact that my ONE life is ending.

Never give in!!! Never sell out!!! That's the way to go. HARD.

/respect
    What's interesting though is that in the article I posted above it seemed clear that Hitchens was concerned that he would repent.

We also know that Christopher was worried about this, and was afraid of letting down the infidel team. In a number of interviews during the course of his cancer treatments, he discussed the prospect of a "death bed" conversion, and it was clear that he was concerned about the prospect. But, he assured interviewers, if anything like that ever happened, we should all be certain that the cancer or the chemo or something had gotten to his brain. If he confessed faith, then he, the Christopher Hitchens that we all knew, should be counted as already dead. In short, he was preparing a narrative for us, just in case. But it is interesting that the narrative he prepped us with did not involve some ethically challenged evangelical nurses on the late shift who were ready to claim that they had heard him cry out to God, thus misrepresenting another great infidel into heaven. It has been done with Einstein, and with Darwin. Why not Hitchens? But Christopher actually prepared us by saying that if he said anything like this, then he did not know what he was saying.
    This is interesting, not so much because of what it says about what he did or did not do as death approached him, and as he at the same time approached death. It is interesting because, when he gave these interviews, he was manifestly in his right mind, and the thought had clearly occurred to him that he might not feel in just a few months the way he did at present. The subject came up repeatedly, and was plainly a concern to him. Christopher Hitchens was baptized in his infancy, and his name means "Christ-bearer." This created an enormous burden that he tried to shake off his entire life. No creature can ever succeed in doing this. But sometimes, in the kindness of God, such failures can have a gracious twist at the end. We therefore commend Christopher to the Judge of the whole earth, who will certainly do right. Christopher Eric Hitchens (1949-2011). R.I.P.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by IntrovertedThinker View Post
    I never said that people in this particular thread said that he's burning in hell.
    Your wording gave off the impression you were, or that people were about to make such comments in this thread.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

I found this interesting.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Although now that you mention it
    Well it's not like he himself was above such actions. He obtained a reputation for knee-jerking the dead at times.