User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Being proud of your heritage

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    don't tell me to focus woman
    Focus woman? You mean, concentrate really hard in a feminist way?

Do remember what your terms were when you started the OP or can you define them now?
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Define heritage.
    I think they mean here racial heritage.

But with, "The Origin of Species", "The Double Helix", "The Selfish Gene", and sequencing the genome, we know that racial heritage is simply racism, at the same time we can plot our genetic heritage with digital precision.

And although our genetic inheritance is important it palls beside our cultural inheritance.

My cultural inheritance starts with a polity, and a liberal democratic polity because we have discovered that once we get the politics right, most other things follow along.

And liberal democracy is imbedded in a larger cultural inheritance called Western Civilization.

And Western Civilization is based on five pillars - Ancient Greek philosophy, Judaism, Christianity, Humanism and the Enlightenment, and our slogan is Freedom and Equality.

And not to be educated in these five pillars means we are ignorant of our own heritage. And yet how many here can read Ancient Greek?

And heritage is even bigger than that for there are two other civilizations apart from our own, namely, Chinese Civilization and Indian Civilization. And if we don't even understand our own civilization how can we understand two more?

And not knowing our own Civilizaton and the two others, we are driven back onto racism.

morose bourgeoisie Array

I can read ancient Greek.

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    I can read ancient Greek.
    That's wonderful, and now all we have to do is to learn to read Sanskrit and Mandarin.

I never understood this personally. I mean it is understandable to an extent if you feel like there is some sort of representational dynamic you're part of, just does not apply to me. I got into an argument with a guest a week ago over this, which ended up with her calling me a "bad person". :/

It really depends on the depth and form of attachment one makes between themselves and the subject. In this discussion it is heritage, in a racial sense it is not a choice but a part that is somewhat supposed to reflect the transition of people through a time period, possibly in relation to another's. That is to say heritage in the inherent sense. Since it is usually not a decision,( I say usually because there are people that adopt the heritage of others as their own) the sense of pride and attachment should not exist, unless there is an importance placed on how this fact determines to a degree who you are as an individual.

OMG sx

what's there to be proud about? it's all raping and stealing land. The only thing i am proud about is my future because i know it holds better things than the past
    1+1=3 OMFG

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    - homo sapiens sapiens are are 99.9% identical, in fact, we're practically inbred

If they're 99.9% similar then it's perfectly ok to prefer fucking the midget stripper

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Why would you assume this?
    Because most people in history have been unremarkable, uneducated, and religious.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."