User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Considering that I am of mixed heritage and grew up around none of them, I have no particular feelings one way or another about the matter. In fact, it's always been a bit difficult to care or understand why other people care about such a thing, on an emotional level at least.
    I think it's an existential thing. Knowing how one came to be, and skimming over your ancestors' photos gives one the sense that they are tapping into a part of themselves. However, I'm not insinuating that being detached from one's heritage can't be satisfying either. I think people of mixed heritage tend to be clean slates in that they're from so many backgrounds that they may as well own up to who they are now rather than trying to herald in their ancestral ties or whatever.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I don't care about my heritage. I didn't do anything to get it, and it's specifics have little influence on my life. I don't care if people are sort of into their heritage, as long as they aren't really outspoken on it. For some reason, Irish people are the worst about this. Even though they're only a third Irish, have been an American family since their great grandparents, and have never even been to Ireland, they still need to brag about it, go nuts about it (especially on St Patrick's Day), and get tattoos and shirts advertising the fact. I just want to go up to anyone into their heritage enough to advertise it, shake them, and be like "you know it makes just as much sense to be psyched you have an innie belly button, right? At least be a goth and be proud, because that's an identity you created for yourself instead of having it foisted upon you by chance" It's the same reason I never understood people loving their sports teams. 99% of the time people love their sports teams because of a mix of geography and chance. What a stupid reason to love a sports team. "Eh, I happened to be born within fifty miles of them."

I've actually been angered by unbridled national pride since around high school. Imagine my surprise a few years ago when, in his last special, George Carlin agreed with me.

Does he want a pillow for his head?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
    Imagine a world with no culture or heritage....Boorrrrrring!!!!!
    No culture is hard to even comprehend in its implications. It's certainly not something I would advocate.

Again, there's a big difference between saying "get rid of cultural differences", "there are no cultural differences", and "it's silly to be proud of your culture". They all mean different things, and I'm only saying the third.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

And yet for all that the Irish havent inflicted a quarter of the misery that the quitely imperialistic and ethno-nationalist have.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    No culture is hard to even comprehend in its implications. It's certainly not something I would advocate.

Again, there's a big difference between saying "get rid of cultural differences", "there are no cultural differences", and "it's silly to be proud of your culture". They all mean different things, and I'm only saying the third.
    They sure are all different and I wouldnt even say that its just the first two which are stupid.

Like I've said already it should be something to be proud of if your heritage is one which entails learning and a kind of reflective conservation of what is important and useful amidst the constant change generation on generation with the passage of time.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    They sure are all different and I wouldnt even say that its just the first two which are stupid.

Like I've said already it should be something to be proud of if your heritage is one which entails learning and a kind of reflective conservation of what is important and useful amidst the constant change generation on generation with the passage of time.
    Odds are, what's useful to learn and preserve does not need to be stuck to any other aspect of your culture in any way.

Found something good to keep? Then I presume you can explain why it's so good. If you can do that, you have your explanation for why to keep it, no cultural strings attached.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Odds are, what's useful to learn and preserve does not need to be stuck to any other aspect of your culture in any way.

Found something good to keep? Then I presume you can explain why it's so good. If you can do that, you have your explanation for why to keep it, no cultural strings attached.
    This doesnt make sense to me but it could be a lack of clarity, I'm unsure what you're meaning or saying to put it neatly.

Is this part of that western-European tendency to be humble or even disdainful about culture? Or some liberal PC idea that you cant be proud and its a cardinal failing or fault to be proud, that is unless you belong to a group which can claim underdog status?

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    This doesnt make sense to me but it could be a lack of clarity, I'm unsure what you're meaning or saying to put it neatly.

Is this part of that western-European tendency to be humble or even disdainful about culture? Or some liberal PC idea that you cant be proud and its a cardinal failing or fault to be proud, that is unless you belong to a group which can claim underdog status?
    Look, why is paper good? Why is worth keeping? Is it because it's Chinese, or is it because of the function it has? I'm going to say it's because of the function it has alone, but I'm sure there's some Chinese nationalist who will ramble about the wonderful Chinese culture that invented paper and gun powder and other things. Paper and gun powder should be kept by for reasons having nothing to do with the culture they are associated with.

Associating technology with cultural pride actually causes a problem, because if you attach an innovation to cultural pride, your ability to further innovate it, distribute it to someone else, or to accept a modified improvement from another culture, may be hampered because it seems a threat to your cultural tradition or because you're threatening someone else's cultural tradition. At its worst, you have Spaniards demolishing a vastly superior sewage system in Mexico and Japanese banning all firearms.

Technology is only one example, but the idea I'm conveying here is applicable to anything, a technology, a skill, a philosophy, an art, etc... If it's worth keeping, it's worth keeping without the cultural baggage.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

It's not "silly" it's just "not completely rationally justifiable".
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

I find myself extremely proud to be a off the boat Arabian Iraqi. I'm not even first gen, I don't know, it is an odd point of pride, but I enjoy that I still have my culture, language and appearance intact to some degree.