User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Seriously, if an individual needs memory and its crucial to development I dont see how at a social or cultural or intergenerational level its not important or invaluable for the same reasons.

I mean that's GODDAMNED simple, and there's some pretty smart people testifying that they dont see how its important at all like its all so much flavours of ice cream or soft drinks.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Eurotards apparently.
    Wait a minute are those distant relatives of Afrotards, homotards or libertards?

What? It doesnt work both ways huh?

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I take no pride in my ancestry. None at all. Why should I? They were all religious to an extreme, and rejected anything that didn't adhere closely to their chosen dogmas. I'm from them, but not one of them in the ways that would have made me acceptable to them. they represent a different time and place than I, and I'm alright with not venerating them through sense of reverence that would feel false to me.
    Instead, I'll take pride in the things I do that are worthy of pride, and in their individual actions that I judge similarly.

@Lark Are you not making a distinction between the absence of racial/cultural pride and discarding heritage? I'm a genealogist for my family. Both family and general history are fascinating to me. It's important to know where I/we come from and I will definitely communicate this information to my children some day. But glowing pride in deeds I did not perform? Borders I did not cross? Wars I did not fight? For what?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

"Way back when, I was the strongest and fastest sperm."

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

If not heritage, people will find some other classification to source their identities and characteristics from.

In any case, I can see some appreciation for heritage if it was emphasized when you were brought up and actually did have a direct impact on your upbringing. But patriotism, nationalism in general is an emotion I've never particularly felt very strongly at all.

It never hurts to read a little Schopenhauer:

"The cheapest form of pride however is national pride. For it betrays in the one thus afflicted the lack of individual qualities of which he could be proud, while he would not otherwise reach for what he shares with so many millions. He who possesses significant personal merits will rather recognise the defects of his own nation, as he has them constantly before his eyes, most clearly. But that poor beggar who has nothing in the world of which he can be proud, latches onto the last means of being proud, the nation to which he belongs to. Thus he recovers and is now in gratitude ready to defend with hands and feet all errors and follies which are its own."

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    @Lark Are you not making a distinction between the absence of racial/cultural pride and discarding heritage? I'm a genealogist for my family. Both family and general history are fascinating to me. It's important to know where I/we come from and I will definitely communicate this information to my children some day. But glowing pride in deeds I did not perform? Borders I did not cross? Wars I did not fight? For what?
    There's been no qualification of the kind you're suggesting in the posts that I've been responding to, its not like people have said "I have no personal pride in but heritage, it counts" so why would I do that?

I think there is nothing wrong with pride in learning and positive legacies, its alright to be proud of things such as your ethnicity or sexual orientation or other accidents of birth, apparently, for many its a political prerequisite or rite of passage, now that doesnt make sense to me, ancestoral memory and history, that does.

Insert Snarky Quip Here Stigmata's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I've never understood the value of investing pride in one's heritage, and think the emphasis placed on its importance to be bullshit. Culture doesn't define you as an individual, it's just a set of ideals and norms you're encouraged to embrace because of your ancestors and their country of origin. Where does the pride factor come in? You didn't choose this, nor is it anything attained through any sort of personal effort on your own part; It just..happened.

If you were someone else or born somewhere else, wouldn't that shift to embrace whatever the predominant culture is of that area? To me, that serves to devalue the concept of pride. If I'd have an equal amount of appreciation for whatever culture I was born into, that seems more like acceptance rather than pride, as there's really no personal investment.

Consider. Is there value in referring to cultural heritage as the guideline for the current and future or is it that in cherishing the past and brainwashing ourselves, we end up on the same foolish road to tragedy as our ancestors? Self-fulfilling prophesies.