User Tag List

First 1234 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I don't see why cultural identity is assigned a value unto itself. Sure you're a product of your cultural environment, but that in no way means you should pick an identity out of that and define that identity as a good thing that must be defended (often against what I find to be practical change).

I rather wish humans never cared about this, but I know that's not going to happen.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I don't see why cultural identity is assigned a value unto itself. Sure you're a product of your cultural environment, but that in no way means you should pick an identity out of that and define that identity as a good thing that must be defended (often against what I find to be practical change).

I rather wish humans never cared about this, but I know that's not going to happen.
    Well people have the need to diversify, to give their lifes meaning and make it special somehow. This manifests in all kinds of behaviours and is the driving force of our civilisation, cause it the difference in opinions creates new opinions and so on.

You'll always need a groiup identity thing and may it be Starfleet be one day, but you'll need it. I dont think thats bad, cause it creates challenge between groups and that creates progress. It's just such a complex mechanism that controlling it is virtually impossible and what was meant as a friendly challenge can turn into a war quite quickly. Still, tho it is such a complex mechanism, I think denieing it and getting rid of it, isnt the solution and isnt possible as well, because some sort of group dynamic will always emerge. I think in basis, group dynamics or cultural identification falls into the department of the great challenges that are life.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I think when people speak about heritage they mean cultural heritage rather than "racial" heritage. But yes of course "pride" or "like" is a feeling so it does not need any reason.
    I agree with this. Culture affects your identity in several ways, although it's not the only factor.

A few other thoughts:

* Some people are branded every day for being of a different phenotype or for speaking with an accent; I suppose you might as well embrace these parts of yourself when you're told to be ashamed of them...

* Since "cultural appropriation" is a big faux pas, I suppose some people find it "safer" to "borrow" from their own culture?
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    It's just part of who you are as an individual. I mean, if we are 99.9 percent the same, why be proud of anything? Why not accept yourself as equivalent to everyone else in every way, essentially?
    I would say that individuals are often radically different, but may share similarities.

Any given human will obviously have a lot in common with any other human, but the differences will fill a lifetime. The similarities are known, over, and done with. We only have to know what it is to be human to know what similarities we all have, but we will live wildly different lives despite all these similarities.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Considering that I am of mixed heritage and grew up around none of them, I have no particular feelings one way or another about the matter. In fact, it's always been a bit difficult to care or understand why other people care about such a thing, on an emotional level at least.
    This
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

I see no reason to have pride in something you have absolutely no influence over whatsoever. Being proud of the country your grandparents were born in is like being proud of having green eyes. This is why most American patriotism nauseates me. If you are natural-born rather than naturalized, barring active and ongoing participation in one's own nation-building (and let's face it, most citizens are not social activists in developed countries), why on earth are you proud rather than grateful for your nationality? Gratitude I can make sense of.

MagicPoriferan makes a fair point, but I'll add that at this point in American history, we are overwhelmingly the product of our environment; our environment is not overwhelmingly the product of us.
    Last edited by iwakar; 12-16-2011 at 03:15 PM. Reason: clarification
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

This thread leads into the discussion of why heritage is important enough to protect, at any and all costs. The older I get, the more I think heritage should be disposed of. And coming from one of the highest Si-based cultures, you can imagine how well this attitude is received by traditionalists!

Obsession as opposed to who else?

Its the japanese who have a religion which had near national status for a long time which involved ancestor worship not Europeans.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Obsession as opposed to who else?
    Eurotards apparently.

The consequences and results of discarding heritage are all around, think about what tradition is, its memory, think about what heritage is its ancestoral memory.

Now think about whether you could be happy, functional or prosperous if you began every day a new, I dont know that many people who would really want to trade places with the character in fifty first dates and I certainly dont know anyone who would want to trade places with the guy in it who has a five or fifthteen minute memory and lives in an institution.

Its not a matter of prized values, in the sense that you have a prized possession such as a favourite novel, shoes, coat, or even preferences, like a prefered flavour ice cream, memory isnt like that, its not optional.

This is just another instance in which I think that consumerism and its norms have seriously disabled or destroyed peoples capacity to reason properly.