User Tag List

First 31112131415 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post

I've yet to meet a Ron Paul supporter who does not want some sort of extremist libertarian paradigm shift in which no state funding exists for anything what so ever, including education.
    I'm Beargryllz

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    I'm Beargryllz
    You are suggesting that you're an exception to the rule? Always glad to verify my suspiscions or hypothesis.

MBTI
    INTP

You are suggesting that you're an exception to the rule? Always glad to verify my suspiscions or hypothesis.
    There is no rule. You invented your own rule. I don't find any shred of truth or reason behind your rule.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Even though I don't agree with the foundation on which libertarianism is built, Ron Paul has seemed better than most of the candidates. It is just really flabbergasting how bad the choices are that we have. For the most part, the only people who end up in the running are the ones controlled by the system. It doesn't even matter in the end which party they belong to - they all make choices in the best interest of the elite who pay them to do this.

People end up fighting over conflicting sets of bad information and it is difficult to impossible to have access to good information. Freedom of speech is one thing, but freedom to be heard means more. We mostly lack this with the media as it is now. If you are locked away in solitary confinement by the most oppressive regime, you have "freedom of speech", but how much more important is the freedom to be heard. Very few people have that freedom in any meaningful way.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Kirkegaard was right when he said that most people want freedom fo speech because they wont exercise freedom of thought.

MBTI
    INTP

Kirkegaard was right when he said that most people want freedom fo speech because they wont exercise freedom of thought.
    Why not both?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Which is part of the reason that I dont like making references to Hitler, too easily dismissed as vitriolic these days without any reference what so ever to the content.
    Then your course of action is clear. Don't do it.

I've yet to meet a Ron Paul supporter who does not want some sort of extremist libertarian paradigm shift in which no state funding exists for anything what so ever, including education.
    Have you ever met even one Ron Paul supporter? I ask because I don't recall him spending much time campaigning in Ireland. I know many, and only a small percentage hold the views you think they all have.

It could be off topic in a way but I would question what is meant by "one-size-fits all", is it a single standard? How would it be efficient to have diverse and different standards? Surely that would be wasteful to sponsor expectation free a diverse range of varying education provision and providers?
    I don't know if you knew this or not, but the US is a little bit bigger than Ireland. 116 times by area, 50 times by population. Hell, the US has 17 states with a larger population and 39 states with more land area than Ireland. The US is also far more diverse ethnically, culturally, and by just about any other measure you can come up with. Each individual state in the US is comparable to a European nation. In the US, we have a government that can't even pass something as simple as a payroll tax extension without almost shutting down the government. How can you expect these same people to react the changing educational needs of all of the various communities in this country? You can't. Politicians are human and they take the path of least resistance. That means they end up passing garbage like No Child Left Behind because it's easy. They're so far removed from their constituents, they never really deal with the consequences of the legislation.

See it appears rhetorically fine to deploy the reasoning of the marketplace, or rather and more often the reasoning of the consumer, but upon closer examination or consideration it doesnt hold up.
    Was this supposed to be an argument? If so, you forgot the argument part of the argument.

I dont think that voters reason like that, they arent encouraged to, they spend the majority of their time performing as consumers, passive recipients of advertising, marketing, infotainment. So Paul's on a winner. So is libertarianism per se. Despite the fact that it spells the end of many peoples prosperity in favour of the preservation of the privileges of a few.
    Are you afraid that if Ron Paul wins, the US will be overrun by a tidal wave of libertarian politicians?

No I didnt, I dont know why it doesnt make sense to you but I could hazard a guess given your perspective on education.
    What is my perspective on education?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Munchies View Post
    the poltical system is fucked and anyone failing to realize this will vote for someone other than ron paul.
    If that's the case then Ron Paul will win the general election by a landslide. This country is losing faith in its government.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

The opening posts where an indication of how smart this thread almost was but it really has managed to meet with the lowest expectations I could have had for it, the support base alone and the reasons given for supporting would be enough for me to decide that Ron Paul wouldnt get my support, if I where in a position to offer it.

To be honest I really hope that the world can manage to structure itself in such a way to deal with an American ideological experiment in failed capitalist orthodoxy, I also hope that when the inevitable SHTF that the war will be contained to the US itself and involve US citizens themselves and involve no foreign or European intervention or commitments.

From the Oklahoma bombing I've pretty much believed that the majority of Americans believe the way to cure poisoning is by drinking more poison.