User Tag List

Permabanned

Default Strauss-Howe generational theory: What's your take? Where do you fit in?

I have a 10 pg essay due tomorrow at 5pm, of which I've written approximately 3-4 pgs, so naturally I'm wasting time on wikipedia.

Anyway, here's the link.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strauss...ational_theory

tldr;
    -Generations cycle and each generational cycle has different archetypal members: The artist, The prophet, The hero, and The nomad. Each of these cycles is roughly 20 years.
    -Beyond that, history cycles in four general periods or "turnings": The high, the awakening, the crisis, and the unraveling. Each of these periods is similarly 20 years long.

-----

The generation to which I belong, generation Y, is a Hero generation. The greats of the people born in my generation (1980ish-2000ish) are supposed to be remembered for their military accomplishments and their political achievements. Our societal contributions are community, affluence, and technology. People born in my generation include JFK, Reagan and Jefferson.

The previous "Hero" generation was known as the Greatest generation.

The "turning" in which we are in is "the Crisis". We just emerged from an "unraveling" turning.

The "crisis turning" is characterized by an effort to rebuild the country in response to it's impeding collapse..that is, to prevent a crisis.

Pretty interesting stuff, I'd say.

The last "crisis turning" began with the crash of the stock market and peaked with the end of world war two.

The financial markets all over the west don't seem to be doing too well. Sure, it's not "a great depression"..more a "significant recession". I hate to be ominous...but, history does repeat itself, right?

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

This is not the first time I've encountered this idea, was it debated or discussed here before?

Its not cyclical or in this paradigm so much but the archetype I identify with most strongly is that of the warrior-scholar, I'm more scholarly than warrior but I'm war like in my scholarship, if that makes sense.

Does history repeat itself? Marx suggested that it did first as tragedy then as farce, by which I always thought he meant that it was sad if it did and then daft if it did so again, implied at least is the idea that history really shouldnt repeat itself when in practice it does because it can.

What is or could be considered to be what you describe as "the financial markets all over the west don't seem to be doing too well"? I would ask arent doing to well for whom? Its almost as though capitalism had its curtain call, again, and there was no one there with a popular mandate and innovation to move things on to something else.

Even mainstream economists and commentators have suggested that Enronista style corruption, perfidy and escalating bonus and wage demands and deals where the real causes of crisis and collapse, basically upper class warfare on everyone else, its all carrying on a pace in the UK with most of the country, left and right, with the exception of english nationalists, recognising that Cameron, the conservative prime minister, is now willing to wreck serious damage upon the country's industrial and commerical interests and isolate the entire nation internationally to please the UK's equivalent of Wall St. and its Golden Geckos.

I am not inclined to agree with the capitalist apologetics that it is a case of "the drunk driver and not the car", ie the system is fine, its this years elites at fault, because in any case it has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that "the system" is not self-regulatory and will break down all the faster if that is supposed to be the case by policy makers.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

My father, brilliant nut-job that he was, used to like to say something like 'farmers' kids become scientists, scientists' kids become artists.' That's what happened in my family.

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Hum, I'm really interesting in SH generation's theory. I'am a Y.

But I would be more prone to discuss it if you told me what we discuss.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    This is not the first time I've encountered this idea, was it debated or discussed here before?
    yes, we've had two or three other threads on the same topic.

Does history repeat itself? Marx suggested that it did first as tragedy then as farce, by which I always thought he meant that it was sad if it did and then daft if it did so again, implied at least is the idea that history really shouldnt repeat itself when in practice it does because it can.
    I tend to view the cycle as more general, it appeals to Ti rationality in that it's a broad conceptual action/reaction approach. things don't exist in a vacuum. It's the same pattern that exists within families -- the parental stances on things are responded to by the children in alignment with their broad personalities, resulting in either an embrace or pushback or sorts. (One example is when a children rejects the parent in order to differentiate but in the process ends up becoming just like the parent.)

So the generational cycles are similar, and we see hints of it for example if the parents are part of a "successful generation" and end up giving their children everything they want as the product of their success, in their desire to make their kids happy; and in turn that excess steers the child differently than if they had had to work harder for what they wanted. Or an easy-going generation that seems unfocused to the children, thus leaving a "vacuum" in the culture, will be filled by a more-focused/driven younger generation as a reaction to the parental generation's strengths and weaknesses.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft