User Tag List

First 12

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    In some ways, it's been more of an "Eurasianist" turn as represented by the thought of Alexander Dugin. I know years ago, many hard-line Stalinists broke with Zugyanov to forge their own political bloc, I'm not up to speed on how well that turned out, presumably not spectacularly well. I know the Communists who returned to power in Moldavia in 2001 still wanted to join the E.U.
    I read about the stalinist breakaway, in the UK it was reported as a kind of political cult appealing to older people, although the UK press has focused on Russia as a sight of the bohemian and mad when its not focusing on menacing things like the Red-Brown alliance, political fusionism like "national Bolshevism" and Putin's spy master capacity for assasination hits abroad.

We're having a normal winter this year and Moscow is in turmoil, hmm, I wonder what that means, he's had to ground the cloud seeders no doubt.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I read about the stalinist breakaway, in the UK it was reported as a kind of political cult appealing to older people, although the UK press has focused on Russia as a sight of the bohemian and mad when its not focusing on menacing things like the Red-Brown alliance, political fusionism like "national Bolshevism" and Putin's spy master capacity for assasination hits abroad.

We're having a normal winter this year and Moscow is in turmoil, hmm, I wonder what that means, he's had to ground the cloud seeders no doubt.
    That's been the common impression given as well here in America, about how Stalinism only appeals to the elderly(usually those who lived during that time), although so-called "Neo-Stalinism" has always been a different story. In the seventies young people were more likely to think positively of Uncle Joe than their parents for example, and this in some forms continues to this day. I mean National Bolsheviks is primary a younger movement, and they glrofiy Stalin. So contrary to stereotype, it's not just mere nostalgia on the part of the elderly - although there is that element.

Sniffles

Apparently the Stalinlist breakaway bloc gathered 0.61% of the votes in the 1999 Duma elections.

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    That's been the common impression given as well here in America, about how Stalinism only appeals to the elderly(usually those who lived during that time), although so-called "Neo-Stalinism" has always been a different story. In the seventies young people were more likely to think positively of Uncle Joe than their parents for example, and this in some forms continues to this day. I mean National Bolsheviks is primary a younger movement, and they glrofiy Stalin. So contrary to stereotype, it's not just mere nostalgia on the part of the elderly - although there is that element.
    I think its authoritarian populism and that takes different forms in different contexts, it amounts to the same thing though, a citizenry with a strong masochistic streak.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I think its authoritarian populism and that takes different forms in different contexts, it amounts to the same thing though, a citizenry with a strong masochistic streak.
    Passive suffering has always been the lot of the Russian people as some would put it.