User Tag List

Thread: The Super Class

Default The Super Class

Who Is the Superclass? | Newsweek International Edition |

A few thousand people now hold unparalleled power over world affairs. The members of this group, which I call the "superclass," come from business, finance, politics, the military, the arts, the nonprofit world and other realms, including even "shadow elites" from terrorist or criminal organizations. Each member is set apart by his ability to regularly influence the lives of millions of people in multiple countries worldwide. Each actively exercises this power and often amplifies it through the development of relationships with other superclass members. To be a member one has to hold on to power just long enough to make an impact, be it by leading a revolution or launching a revolutionary Web site.

Who are the members of this global elite and, more important, what is the nature of this group, how does it connect, and how is it changing? To help understand the answer to this question I compiled more than 6,000 names in a rough census, a snapshot of the tiny community of the most powerful people on the planet at this moment. Many are profiled or identified in the book. However, to give you a few illustrations from that list, here are 10 samples drawn from the roster of today's superclass, prepared exclusively for NEWSWEEK and organized according to location, age, and profession:
    [rest can be found following the link]

A podcast by the author:
    Educators Corner: David Rothkopf, Author - Concentrated Power in a Global Economy

His book: Superclass: The Kindle Store: David Rothkopf

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Furry Critter with Claws Array Kiddo's Avatar

I think the idea that these people "influence" millions of lives is a bit of an illusion.

Those who hold great power tend to spend most of their time maintaining that power. As a result, the influence they have is primarily utilized toward that goal and they ultimately accomplish very little worthwhile beyond that goal. I don't envy anyone who would be considered "super-class" because their life is usually dedicated to the empty, endless pursuit of power. Then they end up rotting in the dirt, just like the rest of us.

History shows that true power comes from being the change you want to see in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

Senior Member Array

Its just like any other power-elite theory, and would probably fall apart when a.) the percentage of individual resources relative to aggregate resources are tallied (the inclusion of cultural, information, and spiritual resources does make such an effort an exercise in frustration) and b.) One ponders whether these "super-elites" work together in opposition to the expressed wishes of the "little people," or whether instead dynamic factions of these "super-elites" work against rival factions of "super-elites," all in alliance with ordinary people who support their agendas. In short, I'm not unduly concerned.