User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

You have to be careful with ecofriendly technology, because sometimes they're not eco friendly at all *cough* electric cars *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Is your ominous ambient glow environmentally friendly?
    REST ASSURED MY SUPERNATURAL GLOW DOES NOT HARM YOUR ENVIRONMENT.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    That, or get rid of a few million people
    I DON'T THINK A FEW MILLION WILL MAKE MUCH DIFFERENCE.

ANYWAY, LESS CHAT, MORE ANSWERS TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION.

Anew Leaf

My carbon footprint is 103

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Mine is 42. But I don't understand something about this test-- it doesn't ask anything about reducing/reusing/recycling. I suppose that would be hard to measure, but it seems like a bit piece of the puzzle to leave out.

Also, WTF is with the shopping measure?? For "households similar to mine" (2 people, in urban MN, income $80-$100k/year) it lists $311 per month as the average money spent on clothing, and $347 on furniture/appliances. Per MONTH?? What, do people buy like a new armchair or Bluray player every month or something? And $311 on clothing? There's no way my spouse and I spend anything close to that-- do people really do that?
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    Mine is 42. But I don't understand something about this test-- it doesn't ask anything about reducing/reusing/recycling. I suppose that would be hard to measure, but it seems like a bit piece of the puzzle to leave out.

Also, WTF is with the shopping measure?? For "households similar to mine" (2 people, in urban MN, income $80-$100k/year) it lists $311 per month as the average money spent on clothing, and $347 on furniture/appliances. Per MONTH?? What, do people buy like a new armchair or Bluray player every month or something? And $311 on clothing? There's no way my spouse and I spend anything close to that-- do people really do that?
    Recycling is actually more costly than making new stuff. If they added recycling, they would have to make that increase your carbon footprint.

I'm at 73.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

I don't care what my carbon footprint is.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Recycling is actually more costly than making new stuff. If they added recycling, they would have to make that increase your carbon footprint.

I'm at 73.
    not sure I believe that, but even if its true, what about reducing and reusing?

My blog:

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

not sure I believe that, but even if its true, what about reducing and reusing?
    It's a logistics issue. It costs more sort and transport material set aside for recycling than it does new raw material.

Of course reducing and reusing would lower your carbon footprint. How much depends on what you're reducing or reusing.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    It's a logistics issue. It costs more sort and transport material set aside for recycling than it does new raw material.
    Do you mean economic cost, or environmental cost?

I'm biased toward recycling because my husband works at a paper recycling plant, but I'm interested in this analysis. Do you know of any articles or website you could point me toward for stats/research?

My blog:

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Do you mean economic cost, or environmental cost?

I'm biased toward recycling because my husband works at a paper recycling plant, but I'm interested in this analysis. Do you know of any articles or website you could point me toward for stats/research?
    You can't really separate economic and environmental cost given that fossil fuels are still the primary energy source for our economy. The trucks that transport the recycled material run on fossil fuel, the machines process the recycled material run on electricity which is produced by burning coal, and so on. This will probably change in the future, of course. And I don't want to give you the impression that I'm anti-environmental. I'm not, I'm just a pragmatist.

I don't recall any articles off hand. I've read a lot on it in the past, but it's been a few years. If there are any recent studies that show recycling is more economical than standard trash disposal, I'd like to read them.