User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    I don't see any hardcore drug like MDMA, cocaine, heroin, or LSD being legalized. Even though the government would be manufacturing the product safely, the product itself is too harmful for consumption. Even if that was regulated consumption. It would open the government up to lawsuits for overdoses, side affects and the consequences of addiction. Just look at Fosamax and the lawsuits that have come from prescription drugs. It would not work.
    Decriminalization is another matter.
    1. MDMA is not a "hardcore drug" in that it is neither addictive nor particularly harmful (probably slightly less harmful than caffeine)

2. Why would the government manufacture these substances? Does the government manufacture lipitor? What about aspirin? What about bourbon? What about sunscreen?

3. Anything can be "harmful". Soda pop has probably contributed more health issues than any other manufactured substance in the history of mankind and we sell it at kindergartens

4. Anyone can sue anyone

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Prohibition is one of the silliest ideas humans have ever come up with
    And here I thought that honor went to scented toilet paper... but prohibition is a close 2nd in my book.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    1. MDMA is not a "hardcore drug" in that it is neither addictive nor particularly harmful (probably slightly less harmful than caffeine)

2. Why would the government manufacture these substances? Does the government manufacture lipitor? What about aspirin? What about bourbon? What about sunscreen?

3. Anything can be "harmful". Soda pop has probably contributed more health issues than any other manufactured substance in the history of mankind and we sell it at kindergartens

4. Anyone can sue anyone
    1) MDMA/ecstasy is a mood altering drug. If you don't consider it a hardcore drug that is your prerogative.

2) Most of this thread is about taxation for revenue on these drugs. The state or federal government would most likely have a hand in the control, manufacture or distribution. The government would never legalize these drugs only to give profits over to privatization.

3) I'm not going to go into apples vs oranges comparisons. It's not important to what the post/thread is really about.

4) Well, not everyone has a case and legalizing ecstasy could be a nightmare concerning product liability and/or strict liability lawsuits.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Anew Leaf

I'm all for anything that continues to help thin the herd.

Permabanned

Illegal drug abusers need to be treated instead of punished. By sentencing these people to imprisonment the government is decaying our society and limiting our freedom. I don't think drugs like ecstasy should be legal, the dealers and those who profit from it need to be imprisoned.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Decriminalising them is not the same as legalisation.

I could see either decriminalising or legalisation legitimising a number of suppliers who're seriously vicious criminal elements, like Capone in the prohibition era or Pablo the cocaine trafficker in Killing Pablo, its not a matter of starting from scratch. A little like how the neo-liberal ideology is anti-trust or anti-corporate in theory, since competition voids monopoly, although in practice it is objectively pan or pro-corporatism.
    There's a criminal element because drugs are criminal. If drugs aren't a black market product, they aren't something criminal organizations can corner. If drugs become a legitimate business they will only fund criminal activity as much as any legitimate business does.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

i have an innovative idea. maybe they should execute people who sell and use drugs. lets do Singapore. if you execute people, you wont have to worry about accommodating them by creating clinics, there would be less crime. probably even less transactions and less people getting hooked into the drug.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by yakimadude View Post
    i have an innovative idea. maybe they should execute people who sell and use drugs. lets do Singapore. if you execute people, you wont have to worry about accommodating them by creating clinics, there would be less crime. probably even less transactions and less people getting hooked into the drug.

Nice.
    Who else shall we execute because we can if we want to.
    Lets rid the world of all evil doers.
    Yes we have become God.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Sigh.. I knew a cute girl from Singapore once. She was really disturbed when my past drug use came up. My past. At that point, I was as I am now - pretty much in the antidrug camp. But her mentality went a step further. I lost her respect for stuff I didn't even do. Like I was still tainted or something. I guess I blame it on that culture for being so staunch about it.

violaine

They banned chewing gum in Singapore so yup, I think it's a pretty uptight culture. I sometimes have to transit through there. I can say that the men with machine guns and the large DRUG TRAFFICKING = MANDATORY DEATH PENALTY signs are rather disturbing. I check and recheck all pockets for chewing gum! *fear*