User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    Umm...
    1. If you assent to the immorality of drug use then the question becomes "how do we go about enforcing the illegality of drug use". To which an apropriate would address your violence concernss.
    Okay then, adultery is immoral in our society. How do we go about enforcing the illegality of adultery?

There is a huge logical disconnect in your reasoning. HUGE! The proper question is "what policy should we implement that can minimize this undesired behavior".

2. It's called govern-ance for a reason. And that reason makes your equation of society and government flawed.
    You seem quite authoritarian to me. Perhaps your style of governance would work with a different, more submissive culture, like China. But in the US, we're far too individualistic for your style to have even moderate success.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Should MDMA/Ecstacy be legalized, or should it remain illegal?
    No.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Look, if drugs are illegal, then...

1: Their content can't be regulated.
    2: People with drug problems will be much less likely to seek help.
    3: We can't tax those drugs nor do they directly add to the legitimate economy in any way.
    4: They do cost us a ton of resources to seize, not just in terms of money, but specifically things like police force and prison space.
    5: They fund criminal organizations probably more than anything else.

If we decriminalize them, what's the benefit? The benefit has to be so great that it more than makes up for the losses I just listed above. I cannot think of any at all. It won't even lower the rate that people take drugs, apparently. So what do you have, some purely symbolic moral victory to compensate you for all that blood and treasure?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Ecstacy don't need to be taxed or regulated either.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    Ecstacy don't need to be taxed or regulated either.
    Why not? There are many incidents of people ingesting the product, only to find out that it isn't even ecstasy.

Now, a regulated product at least has some guarantee that it actually is what it is.

For example, when I want to drink milk I can check the milk container to see what ingredients it contains. When you buy a pill on a black market, the guarantee is largely nonexistent.

MBTI
    ENTJ

I agree with the "decriminalize it all" sentiment.

Funny thing is, if you did this then pooled all the endless cash we're dumping into this alleged "War on Drugs", you could likely put fully staffed rehab and detox clinics (private sector, of course) in every major city to deal with the real problem vs. the substance itself.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Look, if drugs are illegal, then...

1: Their content can't be regulated.
    2: People with drug problems will be much less likely to seek help.
    3: We can't tax those drugs nor do they directly add to the legitimate economy in any way.
    4: They do cost us a ton of resources to seize, not just in terms of money, but specifically things like police force and prison space.
    5: They fund criminal organizations probably more than anything else.

If we decriminalize them, what's the benefit? The benefit has to be so great that it more than makes up for the losses I just listed above. I cannot think of any at all. It won't even lower the rate that people take drugs, apparently. So what do you have, some purely symbolic moral victory to compensate you for all that blood and treasure?
    Decriminalising them is not the same as legalisation.

I could see either decriminalising or legalisation legitimising a number of suppliers who're seriously vicious criminal elements, like Capone in the prohibition era or Pablo the cocaine trafficker in Killing Pablo, its not a matter of starting from scratch. A little like how the neo-liberal ideology is anti-trust or anti-corporate in theory, since competition voids monopoly, although in practice it is objectively pan or pro-corporatism.

MBTI
    INTj

If it can be shown that reducing the price and increasing the available does not lead to an excessive increase in dependency, then legalizing all drugs would be a great way to take business away from the criminal elements.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I don't see any hardcore drug like MDMA, cocaine, heroin, or LSD being legalized. Even though the government would be manufacturing the product safely, the product itself is too harmful for consumption. Even if that was regulated consumption. It would open the government up to lawsuits for overdoses, side affects and the consequences of addiction. Just look at Fosamax and the lawsuits that have come from prescription drugs. It would not work.
    Decriminalization is another matter.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    INTP

Prohibition is one of the silliest ideas humans have ever come up with