User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Ecstasy fucks up your capability to be happy, last I checked.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    True, but rather than make hard-core drugs like mth or crack available to the public I'd be in favor or rehab clinics as an alternative to imprisonment.
    I'm not sure if you knew this but meth and cocaine are already available to the public. Almost anyone with sufficient desire can get hooked up in under an hour. Prohibition has been a failure.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Legalize.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I'm not sure if you knew this but meth and cocaine are already available to the public. Almost anyone with sufficient desire can get hooked up in under an hour. Prohibition has been a failure.
    Doesn't mean that it should be sold through legal channels though.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    That actually supports my position.
    If there isn't evidence that the law even matters when it comes to drugs then it becomes more about what position society should take in response to drugs, as reflected in its legislature.

Rationally, society can either say "we support all drugs", "we don't support any drugs", or "we support some drugs, here's why". As a collective, those are the only three responses possible. I've argued one is dangerously flawed and of the other two, one is more appropriate.
    You have to use some pretty convoluted reasoning to reach your conclusion. It also requires the premise that something not being illegal means the government or society supports it. I do not agree with that premise. Plenty of behaviors are legal that are still frowned upon by society. For example, showing up to work drunk can get you fired even though drinking is legal.

"Prohibition leads to violence."-So people are going to start killing people because they can't get a fix? And this is an argument for a positive response to drugs?Again, my issue isn't with drug dependance. My position assumes drug dependance is a given. My issue is with society's response to drug use. If idiots want to waste their life on drugs then, in my opinion, that's their perogative. My position actually supports this, practically speaking. (I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't say I supported some measure of experimentation.) However, it puts the decision of drug use in a would be drug users hands' and focuses instead on limiting the use of drugs through an outright and consistent condemnation of any cognitive altering substance.
    /facepalm Al Capone says hello. Pablo Escobar says hello. Black markets are violent. Prohibition creates a black market. Hence, prohibition promotes violence. Hopefully you can understand this incredibly simple concept.

As for the rest of your post...what? You sound like you haven't actually thought this through.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Why not? If drugs are sold by law-abiding citizens, we can actually try to stop drugs from being sold to children. People operating in black markets don't care about rules.

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Legalize it.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

figsfiggyfigs

legalize it.

Permabanned

You have to use some pretty convoluted reasoning to reach your conclusion. It also requires the premise that something not being illegal means the government or society supports it. I do not agree with that premise. Plenty of behaviors are legal that are still frowned upon by society. For example, showing up to work drunk can get you fired even though drinking is legal.

/facepalm Al Capone says hello. Pablo Escobar says hello. Black markets are violent. Prohibition creates a black market. Hence, prohibition promotes violence. Hopefully you can understand this incredibly simple concept.

As for the rest of your post...what? You sound like you haven't actually thought this through.
    Umm...
    1. If you assent to the immorality of drug use then the question becomes "how do we go about enforcing the illegality of drug use". To which an apropriate would address your violence concernss.
    2. It's called govern-ance for a reason. And that reason makes your equation of society and government flawed.