User Tag List

First 123412 Last

violaine

I wonder if the supposed dangers would be lessened if it were legalized? I say supposed because I've read so much conflicting information. I do think the comedown can be brutal for some people, though I guess there are things one can do to cushion that.

Jumping off from that: I'm not a fan of any government legislating about what I can and can't put into my body. Hate to trot out an old chestnut but it's amazing to me that cigarettes, which indisputably cause many types of cancer, are legal. Smoke as many as you want for as long as you want and suffer the consequences. While other substances, which people might only ever use sparingly anyway and don't have anywhere near the harmful effects, are outlawed. Apart from alcohol and tobacco, the only drug that has ever killed someone I've known was a well known cholesterol lowering medication.

Steve Jobs called his LSD experimentation one of the two or three most important things he'd ever done in his life. He reportedly said that people who hadn't shared that kind of experience couldn't fully relate to his thinking. I really think some experiences can be that powerful. It's annoying that people's experimentation is limited. I'm certainly not an aficionado, but if some things were legal I would definitely be using them to open my mind and go on my own quests.
    Last edited by violaine; 11-30-2011 at 12:23 PM.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    The only reason I can see useful in legalizing it is because street ecstacy is usually a cocktail, sometimes mixed with LSD, meth, heroin, cocaine.. You don't know what you're getting. There's also the indirect effects of it simply being amidst a drug culture, where those other substances are usually taken anyways or mixed seperately. The drug culture also has the weird habit of encouraging coming down from these drugs by popping a bunch of Xanax. It's just all kinds of stupid.

In a more controlled situation, ecstacy might not be so bad. Not sure. It was originally developed alongside other therapeutic drugs, like antidepressants. There must be a reason why it failed though. LSD used to be legit as well, and shrooms are completely natural, but that doesn't prove anything. I can tell you myself it's not good for you.
    Getting it off the streets would certainly be more useful in ensuring it as a safer product. Also, legalization may generate money into the economy (new substance = businesses producing it = jobs + products) and place less of a burden on prisons (less inmates of course).

And actually, I think Ecstacy was legal up until 1981, although why it was banned, I'm not sure.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Only if you legalize letting me run some of these people off the road.
    Nah. I think by contrast decriminalizing vehicular homicide would make things worse.

I do suppose that while we should decriminalize these drugs, there should still be DUI charges against them, and I think our current DUI laws are too lax and the crime is not really monitored enough.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Quote Originally Posted by violaine View Post
    Steve Jobs called his LSD experimentation one of the two or three most important things he'd ever done in his life. He reportedly said that people who hadn't shared that kind of experience couldn't fully relate to his thinking. I really think some experiences can be that powerful. It's annoying that people's experimentation is limited. I'm certainly not an aficionado, but if some things were legal I would definitely be using them to open my mind and go on my own quests.
    I've done LSD dozens of times. I probably got a head start on Jobs. I first took it when I was 13, I think.. while I was attending middle school. That was educational.

And you know what? I wish I could take it back. I wish I could unsee certain things. I'll never be the same.

I don't know if he actually said it, but there was a line in the Doors movie that appealed to me.. when Jim Morrison was telling his friends to "ride the snake"... Like the drug was a dangerous, giant serpent, that could transport you to new places. But he also warned how it'd eventually turn on you and bite. It's inevitable.. sooner or later you get that one trip that fucks you over. It's not something I'd encourage anyone to do now.

violaine

I just think people should have the right to experiment. EDIT: But with the caveat outlined in my post below. I don't think using anything powerfully mind altering at such a young age is a good idea.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Decriminalize it all.
    I disagree; legalization of all drugs would be dangerous; crack cocaine, meth, heroin, all those are nasty drugs that destroy people. Rather there should be a set limit of acceptable danger, and all substances under that limit should be allowed.

Actually, this chart comes to mind:

violaine

I think a person shouldn't use powerful substances until they are older. Not as a teen. I have read a lot of research that indicates our minds are not fully formed until we are in our 20s.
    Last edited by violaine; 12-01-2011 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by violaine View Post
    Oh, and the other thing that I think is that a person shouldn't use powerful substances until they are older. I have read so much research that indicates our minds are not fully formed until we are in our 20s.
    I like to think that I pressed the fast forward button.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    I disagree; legalization of all drugs would be dangerous; crack cocaine, meth, heroin, all those are nasty drugs that destroy people. Rather there should be a set limit of acceptable danger, and all substances under that limit should be allowed.

Actually, this chart comes to mind:

I am entirely aware of how bad they are. That being said, criminalizing them is an expensive process that at best does nothing but could actually be making things worse.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Permabanned

I'd go the opposite way. Criminalize it all. The bottom line is that people will always do drugs..legalizing it or not won't affect that too much.
    However making any cognitive altering substance legal sends a message that having your cognitive abilities altered is acceptable, something I don't think is true, or at least up to the government to decide. By legalizing drugs all you are really doing is saying that the government thinks it's ok to sell drugs to the public, and pretty soon we have a society that is dependant on drugs to function...or at least more so than if they were illegal.

Make it all illegal...alcohol, weed, cocaine, those antidepressants, adhd drugs, hell even coffee and those energy drinks ( particularly if marketed such that it encourages people to think it cognitively alters you)..and impose fines, rather than jail sentences, on people who break the law.

This would have the effect of
    1. Consistency
    2. A freer and more open environment from which to experiment if you are so inclined.
    3. A clear signal that society encourages people to be themeselves, and not hide behind substances.
    4. A taking away of the drug use decision from the government and putting it where, I think, it belongs..with the people in the first place.
    5. Economic incentives from fines.

Really, the only party that would be disadvantaged would be the companies that make a killing off of feeding drug addictions (booze, cigs, and happy pills)...and at the end of the day legislature is supposed to protect the interests of the people..not the companies.

"Supposed to" being the key phrase there.

This seems to me to be the most practically logical solution. The alternatives either lead to nightmarish scenarios (I'd be the first one to buy meth stocks if it were made legal lol), or are ultimately arbitrary and therefor illogical and unhelpful to society in the first place.