User Tag List

First 6141516171826 Last

Results 151 to 160 of 280

  1. #151
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Look, I've never been drunk, never dragged on a cigarette, never took any illicit drug, and hell I seldom even take pain killers. On top of that, I'm quite uncomfortable around people under the influence and I honestly think we'd be better off if people didn't do this shit.

    My opposition to making drugs illegal has no relation to my own behavior. It doesn't even have anything to do with me being okay with other people doing it. I used to be in favor of keeping drugs illegal. I understand the visceral feeling that people can have about this, and there can be a sense of anxiety and loss in letting people use drugs, but look, it's counter-intuitive, but after I did enough research I realized that if I really wanted to fight the damage done by drugs, I'd be better off advocating their legalization.

    That being said, I do reject this sort of categorical approach to drugs, where we arbitrarily say one thing is a drug and one isn't and using a drug is necessarily bad. That's not how I see it. I hold my ethical position against drug use on the terms of cost-benefit analysis, just like I do with my legal position of allowing people to use them.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  2. #152
    FigerPuppet
    Guest

    Default

    I imagine we'll see a whole new type of subscription service come into existence if we legalize hard drugs.

    "Choose your premium Heroin plan now and receive a free syringe with every 3rd. delivery. Smack That - your premium supplier of Black Tar since 2012."

    Then there will finally be something to the notion of corporations as parasites that hook into the vices of Man and deprive Him of both money and soul.


  3. #153
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Look, I've never been drunk, never dragged on a cigarette, never took any illicit drug, and hell I seldom even take pain killers. On top of that, I'm quite uncomfortable around people under the influence and I honestly think we'd be better off if people didn't do this shit.

    My opposition to making drugs illegal has no relation to my own behavior. It doesn't even have anything to do with me being okay with other people doing it. I used to be in favor of keeping drugs illegal. I understand the visceral feeling that people can have about this, and there can be a sense of anxiety and loss in letting people use drugs, but look, it's counter-intuitive, but after I did enough research I realized that if I really wanted to fight the damage done by drugs, I'd be better off advocating their legalization.

    That being said, I do reject this sort of categorical approach to drugs, where we arbitrarily say one thing is a drug and one isn't and using a drug is necessarily bad. That's not how I see it. I hold my ethical position against drug use on the terms of cost-benefit analysis, just like I do with my legal position of allowing people to use them.
    I remember you used to support prohibition. I was actually surprised to see you support legalization in this thread. It's nice to see someone change their position based on evidence, despite what their internal feelings tell them. It's unfortunate that so many people care more about "taking a stand" than what actually works. I see the prohibition position as somewhat of an analogue to liberals and protesting. Protesters really don't accomplish much, but they feel good about themselves and that's why many of them do it. Drug prohibition doesn't really accomplish much, but "taking a moral stand" makes conservatives feel good about themselves...
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  4. #154
    FigerPuppet
    Guest

    Default

    Let me get this straight: You support the legalization of all hard drugs?

  5. #155
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    Let me get this straight: You support the legalization of all hard drugs?
    Legalize crack, meth, and heroin, go ahead. If you think that the hardness of the drug effects whether or not it should be legalized, you're missing the point.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  6. #156
    FigerPuppet
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Legalize crack, meth, and heroin, go ahead. If you think that the hardness of the drug effects whether or not it should be legalized, you're missing the point.
    Not if you use an economic approach. If you did indeed perform a cost-benefit analysis, as you said you did, then you must have factored in the hardness of the drug.
    Whether or not it's ethically sound to allow some drugs while not allowing others doesn't matter outside of philosophy class.

  7. #157
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    Not if you use an economic approach. If you did indeed perform a cost-benefit analysis, as you said you did, then you must have factored in the hardness of the drug.

    The hardness of a drug doesn't make it any easier to keep out of peoples' hands, nor does it make it any cheaper to throw people in jail.

    Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    Whether or not it's ethically sound to allow some drugs while not allowing others doesn't matter outside of philosophy class.
    This confuses me both in that I don't see how something is relevant to ethics at all without being relevant to real life, and that this very statement subtly implies that the subject of ethics and the concept of cost-benefit analysis are somehow discrete things.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  8. #158
    FigerPuppet
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    The hardness of a drug doesn't make it any easier to keep out of peoples' hands, nor does it make it any cheaper to stop.
    Legalizing it will both make it easier to obtain and send a message to the public that has an encouraging effect (because people do not connect something legal to something being extremely dangerous), so more people will get their hands on it, thus increasing the rate of newcomers to the group suffering from the hard effects. This has an adverse effect on society.

    This confuses me both in that I don't see how something is relevant to ethics at all without being relevant to real life, and that this very statement subtly implies that the subject of ethics and the concept of cost-benefit analysis are somehow discrete things.
    What I am saying is that the argument that our current legislation is ethically unsound is null, because possible legalization will only ever be evaluated from a cost-benefit approach in which the ethical integrity of our current legislation will not be a factor.

  9. #159
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    Legalizing it will both make it easier to obtain and send a message to the public that has an encouraging effect (because people do not connect something legal to something being extremely dangerous), so more people will get their hands on it, thus increasing the rate of newcomers to the group suffering from the hard effects.
    The data does not support your position. Did you not read this thread? I posted a link to a study that showed decriminalization in Portugal did not lead to an increase in drug abuse. Why take a stance like this when the data clearly shows it to be wrong?

    When I see arguments like this, I am reminded of creationists who still claim that scientists have not found a "missing link". Update your arguments, please. This is the 21st century, not 1903.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  10. #160
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    Legalizing it will both make it easier to obtain and send a message to the public that has an encouraging effect (because people do not connect something legal to something being extremely dangerous), so more people will get their hands on it, thus increasing the rate of newcomers to the group suffering from the hard effects.
    How hard do you think it is to get your hands on these drugs, seriously?

    It's already been pointed out that legality means people will be more likely to seek help with drug problems and that we can make drugs less dangerous, so that could counter-balance the effect of encouragement if such an effect even existed. But I think the ability to enforce a law is what makes it work, not the mere symbolism of it.

    Also, what about Portugal and The Netherlands? Are you saying that the difference between legalization and decriminalization or non-enforcement is that profound?
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

Similar Threads

  1. Article on drug legalization
    By Lateralus in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 09-13-2012, 06:46 PM
  2. On legality of Infanticide
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 176
    Last Post: 11-24-2008, 07:59 AM
  3. [INFJ] How is the legal profession for INFJs?
    By karenk in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-01-2008, 12:52 PM
  4. Why drug dealing should be legalized...
    By The Ü™ in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-10-2007, 02:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO