User Tag List

First 4121314151624 Last

The war on drugs is too valuable to abandon.

The first advantage is to turn large numbers of black men into felons, and the second advantage is being able to fight insugencies across the world in the name of the war on drugs.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Heroin in some kind of bar establishment sounds silly. Like I said earlier, people just nod off on it.

I guess you call it a spa?

It's probably one of the few drugs you wouldn't have worry about traffic accidents with. No one does anything while high. And when they're not high, they just think about heroin.
    well yeah i guess you're right but ecstasy clubs seems normal...and i guess allowing them to do cocaine in the bathroom is fine and maybe sit and smoke pot would be fine too...and then what with the other...buy it at the pharmacy or what? i don't get how that would work... or would you just have legal drug shops...set up like a head shop sort of...with paraphernalia and everything? i can visualize that reality more yeah...like you can purchase it in these head shops and it's not illegal to be high in certain places...?? like a club or whatever...hmm...i wonder how that would effect things.

but...the reality would likely be that crack heads would go in and try to shoot the place up and steal everything..right? so it would be massacre city and no one would dare go because it would be way scary...as bad or worse then their local street dealer maybe.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    but...the reality would likely be that crack heads would go in and try to shoot the place up and steal everything..right? so it would be massacre city and no one would dare go because it would be way scary...as bad or worse then their local street dealer maybe.
    It's just as likely as junkies shooting the place up. Users just end up thinking about heroin a lot, even when not high. It either makes them poor or take risks to get the fix. If heroin was regulated, I'm sure it'd be expensive too. So some may go out of their way to get it or make money by some other illegal means.

If people wanted it to be legal, maybe the best bet is just let people cultivate it themselves and create their own supply. At their own risk and in the privacy of their own homes. And leave these public bars and regulating to drugs that have less addictive properties.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Which drugs are not "hardcore"?

Which drugs are not mood altering?

I tend to consider highly addictive, highly destructive substances to be "hardcore". This would include chemicals like nicotine or opiates.
    That's your own definition. You are entitled to it.

Let me speak realistically for a minute. In the real world, socially we do not treat these drugs in the same ways. How many people have you been around that want to party? Asked you to party? Next time they ask you, say yes and then bring them a two liter of Coca-Cola or give them a pack of cigarettes and explain to them how caffeine or nicotine is just as "hardcore" a drug and it is also mood altering and therefore, it's equivalent.

Yeah. You'll be quickly pushed out the door by laughter or force because we view different drugs differently and their uses differ and how and why we use them differ.

We absolutely abuse caffeine and nicotine. But in our society we use them to stay awake or calm down after a hard day. Our society does not use them for escapism/hedonism. They are more utilitarian.

That's what makes those other drugs non-comparable. It's apples and oranges.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    In what fantasy world did companies stop polluting voluntarily?
    When people are liable to to be charged for pollution and charged by the private property owner who's rights were violated.
    When public sentiment to said company leads to boycots and bad press

FigerPuppet

You cannot draw a parallel between marijuana and MDMA. The relatively harmless chronic effects of long-term use of the former are still widely debated, while those of the latter - which are much more horrible - are pretty much acknowledged by everybody. Even short-term usage of MDMA can have very serious chronic effects. No, it should definitely not be legalized.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tantive View Post
    people are liable to to be charged for pollution and charged by the private property owner who's rights were violated.
    False

MBTI
    INFP

False
    No, True

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    ESFp

It should remain illegal. Drugs are dangerous, the state shouldn't leave people alone with them.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    I'd go the opposite way. Criminalize it all. The bottom line is that people will always do drugs..legalizing it or not won't affect that too much.
    However making any cognitive altering substance legal sends a message that having your cognitive abilities altered is acceptable, something I don't think is true, or at least up to the government to decide. By legalizing drugs all you are really doing is saying that the government thinks it's ok to sell drugs to the public, and pretty soon we have a society that is dependant on drugs to function...or at least more so than if they were illegal.

Make it all illegal...alcohol, weed, cocaine, those antidepressants, adhd drugs, hell even coffee and those energy drinks ( particularly if marketed such that it encourages people to think it cognitively alters you)..and impose fines, rather than jail sentences, on people who break the law.

This would have the effect of
    1. Consistency
    2. A freer and more open environment from which to experiment if you are so inclined.
    3. A clear signal that society encourages people to be themeselves, and not hide behind substances.
    4. A taking away of the drug use decision from the government and putting it where, I think, it belongs..with the people in the first place.
    5. Economic incentives from fines.

Really, the only party that would be disadvantaged would be the companies that make a killing off of feeding drug addictions (booze, cigs, and happy pills)...and at the end of the day legislature is supposed to protect the interests of the people..not the companies.

"Supposed to" being the key phrase there.

This seems to me to be the most practically logical solution. The alternatives either lead to nightmarish scenarios (I'd be the first one to buy meth stocks if it were made legal lol), or are ultimately arbitrary and therefor illogical and unhelpful to society in the first place.
    Umm, if the criminalization is arbitrary anyway, why not make it consistent the other way by legalizing all drugs? Because the government would be sending the wrong signal to society? Telling us to be ourselves isn't a necessary role of the government (and if it was, most of mass media would be illegal)

And you have forgotten that society is already dependent on drugs to function. If all caffeinated substances suddenly disappeared from the planet right now, the next day would be the zombie apocalypse....

Prohibition is one of the silliest ideas humans have ever come up with
    I don't know.... I'm already liking my idea of owning the first Coffee & Chocolate Speakeasy The password is "pinstripe"