Thread: Good God

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Nice article but to be honest what criminal isnt going to reject the idea that they're warped?

I'm sure there's a hell of a lot of sex offenders who reject the peadophile label and insist that if everyone would just stop denying it they all fantasise about sex with children and its a perfectly normal thing, the reality is a different matter, I used to think that executing them would be a good idea but given how many times the last profile case in the UK has tried to kill himself in prison it would appear that the indefinite incarceration is more of a torture, and therefore more punitive or retributive, than straight up killing him.

Leaving Brevik long enough to realise that he's not the hero in his own personal narrative but totally out of touch with reality could ultimately crush the hell out of him more than permitting him to get off on the whole martyr routine he'd plotted out for himself.
    That is a very good point about the psychological punishment of reality creeping in to their delusions over years in confinement. However, I do not think that society should bear the financial burden of housing these monsters indefinitely and I absolutely do not think they will ever 'pay their debt to society' after a number of years imprisonment. So, I have always and will likely always consider the death penalty to be the only just punishment for individuals who perpetrate this (and several others) kind of crime.
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by earthtrekker1775 View Post
    That is a very good point about the psychological punishment of reality creeping in to their delusions over years in confinement. However, I do not think that society should bear the financial burden of housing these monsters indefinitely and I absolutely do not think they will ever 'pay their debt to society' after a number of years imprisonment. So, I have always and will likely always consider the death penalty to be the only just punishment for individuals who perpetrate this (and several others) kind of crime.
    What you're talking about is not the most just but the cheapest punishment, I dont really believe that most offenders now a days are the sort who're liable to "pay their debt to society", neither does the criminal justice system, pretty much globally, judgements are made on the basis of possible or predictable recidivism and reoffending.

I'd be lying if I said I didnt think that there's some limited cases in which executions makes sense, although I will be honest and say that I believe in revenge not capital punishment and I certainly dont believe in the capital punishment of any avenger. My criteria for judging those cases where it makes sense certainly isnt expense. If I felt that living in prison was more torturous than death then I'd be happy to support that with taxes. No way that I'd want to let psychos believe that its a case of "hell of a ride, now time to RIP, so long suckas!" because people are cheapskates.