User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Good God

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    His trial will begin in five months and will itself presumably last for several months. Also, an evaluation standard may be changed faster than a law, and a law may be changed faster than usual if there is urgency. But it is fruitless to speculate. I am not interested enough to research the details. Are you?
    Since when is it fruitless to speculate? But I do have personal experience with attempting to change legislation including the process and duration, albeit not in Norway and not in reference to criminal/psychiatric...errr...justice (?).

And it is also speculation to suggest that laws and rules can be changed post haste.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Since when is it fruitless to speculate?
    It is fruitless to speculate about this case because apparently neither of us knows much about the relevant details. So whatever we accomplish by speculation will still be relatively unfounded.

And it is also speculation to suggest that laws and rules can be changed post haste.
    Indeed. I could come up with a lot more possibilities, too, but would rather eat a cookie now.

It is fruitless to speculate about this case because apparently neither of us knows much about the relevant details. So whatever we accomplish by speculation will still be relatively unfounded.
    True but that's like saying it's fruitless to speculate at all in most cases since we're not part of the individuals involved in any legal scenario.
    Indeed. I could come up with a lot more possibilities, too, but would rather eat a cookie now.
    Cookies are fattening. Speculation burns calories through brain usage!

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I believe insane people get different treatment in this aspect. The reason is that in their case laws are made to protect them (instead of punishing).
    Protective laws can and should retroact.

Edit: Actually, I think I'm wrong here. But I believe he would easily get killed in case he gets out of jail too soon, which makes imprisonment a sort of protection in his case.
    I dont believe in retroactive laws, although I'll confess the terminology is new to me I dont think I like the idea of it from what's been said already, I would say that insane people perhaps do receive care incarceration rather than punitive incarceration but its still incarceration and in the UK at least the insane can be detained indefinitely, unlike anyone serving a sentence, all that said I think all criminal justice systems are converging on a point where there's no punishment. It'll all be care. It will all be about mitigating the consequences of criminal behaviour to criminals themselves.

I dont know what kind of atrocities it would take to rebalance that, I thought this sort of thing would have been a good example of it but I dont know, I'm not a liberal and I think if anyone deserved a Jack Ruby it was this guy.

True but that's like saying it's fruitless to speculate at all in most cases since we're not part of the individuals involved in any legal scenario.
    I would not say 'at all', but I would say 'in most cases'; and then, depending on the goal of the speculation, it may yet be quite different again.

I would not say 'at all', but I would say 'in most cases'; and then, depending on the goal of the speculation, it may yet be quite different again.
    Go ahead, deny Ni!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    In this case it's just psychosis. He deserves the sympathy obviously.
    This made me laugh. I have a cousin who has schizophrenia (it runs in the part of his family not related to me, thankfully). It's a very difficult illness to deal with. There is no cure and it slowly destroys your mind. My cousin, along with all of the other non-violent schizophrenics (an estimated 70 million on this planet), deserve sympathy. Mass murderers? I'll reserve my sympathy for the victims and their families.

Norway has universal health care. If this guy didn't get diagnosed and treated, it's no one's fault but his own. If he did see a doctor but chose to not take his medication, that is also his fault. This guy IS responsible, one way or another.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

No big shocker there. He's insane.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Why not just kill him? He's responsible for multiple deaths, is clinically insane, and a severe danger to society; it would be far easier to simply end his life and not waste time on either prison nor psychiatric hopsitality.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    My cousin, along with all of the other non-violent schizophrenics (an estimated 70 million on this planet), deserve sympathy. Mass murderers? I'll reserve my sympathy for the victims and their families.
    Concurred to the fullest.