User Tag List

First 345

Thread: Generation Sell

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    The self today is an entrepreneurial self, a self that’s packaged to be sold.

< Read the Full Piece >
    Fromm called this the exploitative and marketing personality.

Dude was totally right about it, Fromm was someone from whom God hid very little, that is apart from his existence which is a shame because Fromm wound up an atheist, even if an interesting and usual one at that.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post

It's like a Benassi video remixed by Aphex Twin.
    I was thinking more of this
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    one assumption worthy of challenging, and correct me if i am wrong (not familiar with any members of it upclose), but i think hipster culture shows signs of being a counter culture rather then "the culture" - it has the concept of "posers" or "fakes". punks had posers, goths had posers, freaks had posers, and fight club recreation nights had people who whined if they got punched in the face.. when a culture looks upon itself as an exclusive club with a bunch of requirements (wardrobe, music, ideology, etc), and a condescending outlook of those who break from it, it is usually a sign that it is a sub culture, possibly even a counter culture, where mainstream culture merely has people who are weird, socially awkward or simply out of style. the "vision of the future" he speaks of, is very much IMO a result of people from a sub-culture gathering together, having an immediate sense of strength in numbers, and envisioning that the culture outside of it shell fade away and give way to their own. now the author himself says he moved to a place known for that very culture, isn't it likely that he himself is just too close to the counter culture to see that the culture it counters?

if so, and does generation sell extend beyond the sub culture? in which case, what does the counter culture counter?

The judgement of generations on each other goes in both directions. The Boomers and Gen X'rs are not really that great either. Hopefully, there will still be a habitable planet to live on by the time they're done with being in charge.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

I had to leave the article halfway through, right about when he seemingly grouped everyone under some social media umbrella. I know the writer is just referring to one generation for most of the article, but it seemed like he was associating many more people with facebook usage to illustrate his points. All of that shit is irrelevant to me. Or maybe I'm irrelevant. Either way, I'm not buying what anyone is selling. If that's what their whole generation is about, then "whatever" (so says the Gen X'er).

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    The judgement of generations on each other goes in both directions. The Boomers and Gen X'rs are not really that great either. Hopefully, there will still be a habitable planet to live on by the time they're done with being in charge.
    Sometimes I doubt that but who cares so long as no one who was/is part of marginalised group has hurt feelings?

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I had to leave the article halfway through, right about when he seemingly grouped everyone under some social media umbrella. I know the writer is just referring to one generation for most of the article, but it seemed like he was associating many more people with facebook usage to illustrate his points. All of that shit is irrelevant to me. Or maybe I'm irrelevant. Either way, I'm not buying what anyone is selling. If that's what their whole generation is about, then "whatever" (so says the Gen X'er).
    On the other hand, like I said mentioning Fromm (that dude was born in 1900, died in 1979, I think, and did most of his writing in the fifties, sixties and beginning of the seventies), this sort of critique is older than it seems, maybe social media has permitted more people to get in on the marketing personality game but its not new.

From the school yard popularity wars and tribalism to the workplace and beyond its all about whether your face fits, dont kid yourself its about anything else. You mightnt feel this matters but anyway.