User Tag List

First 345

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    All those things you mention are pretty much what being registered would involve, the registration process is not simply to deal with the behaviour of the individual who has committed the offence, its about protecting others who could potentially be victimised too. Alerting others when they move to a particular area etc.

I'll accept that it would be a good idea to appraise and evaluate how systems aimed at reducing or managing this kind of thing work in practice but I'm inclined to believe that they are a good thing. A lot of the pop-libertarian responses to things like this tend to be optimistic, hopeful and diminish any real harm done by the offence or offences involved. I dont concur with that.

The thing about paying for it all his life is that, its not a crime in the usual sense, its more like a diagnosis and tragic as that often is and while I'm sure there are exceptions to every rule, in the main it would be like expecting the lame to walk again.

When its discovered in early life its often much clearer than in adolescence or adult life, there's much less ambivalence on the part of those making the complaint or allegation which warrants investigation etc.
    You obviously know little about how sex offender registries work, in practice, in the US. Very little effort, if any, is made in distinguishing between an 18 year old boy having sex with his 16 year old girlfriend, and pedophile like Jerry Sandusky. And even when a distinction is made, helicopter parents don't care. They make life impossible for the minor offenders, regardless.

If someone is dangerous enough that they should be put on a "list", they should be imprisoned. It's as simple as that. If people don't believe they are dangerous enough to be imprisoned, then they shouldn't be on any "list". What we do now is like branding someone with a scarlet letter.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    You obviously know little about how sex offender registries work, in practice, in the US. Very little effort, if any, is made in distinguishing between an 18 year old boy having sex with his 16 year old girlfriend, and pedophile like Jerry Sandusky. And even when a distinction is made, helicopter parents don't care. They make life impossible for the minor offenders, regardless.

If someone is dangerous enough that they should be put on a "list", they should be imprisoned. It's as simple as that. If people don't believe they are dangerous enough to be imprisoned, then they shouldn't be on any "list". What we do now is like branding someone with a scarlet letter.
    Excellent points.

I had this friend when I was 3-5 who was the same age as me, and our parents let us take baths and showers together. Then one time her younger brother, who was a year younger, joined us in a shower. Her and I thought nothing of it, until their mom came in and threw a fit. I remember being very confused about the whole thing because it seemed like such a non deal.

Even if kids that age have an "idea" about sexuality from observing adults... That all important "click" of what it means, doesn't happen for years and years and years. They are just going through the motions like they do with brushing teeth, figuring out social interactions, etc etc.

If this is the first time it happened, then they should have just talked to the kids separately and explained that this wasn't somthing appropriate... Then monitored the situation like parents are supposed to do.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post

thankyou,you explained it better than I did.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire