It's not difficult.

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    So I am wondering. How quick are you to dehumanize people who:

1) disagree with you?
    2) rub you the wrong way?
    3) inconvenience you?
    4) make it hard for you to get your job done?

By dehumanize, I mean, to, in your own mind, strip them of their human status. Thinking of them as "animals", "monsters", "menace", or really any label that would justify, in your mind, violating one of their human rights.

Human rights include:
    The right to life, liberty, personal security, status of personhood, equal protection under the law,
    freedom from slavery, torture, cruel or degrading punishment, arbitrary arrest, ...

http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/

Maybe introspection is too hard. How quickly have you seen it happen?
    I question that violating someones human rights is the same as not seeing them as human. Prisoners, deprived of their liberty, are still very much human. If you kill a man in self defense - must you see him as "non human"?

I don't believe in certain fundamental 'rights' which people cannot be denied - rather I believe in highly protected 'privileges' in a social contract. I strongly believe in the value of people agreeing to a certain set of rules - but it must be recognized that these rules are designed rather than inherent, and they are built on sets of assumptions which are subject to change.

So, based on all this, what follows naturally is: what agreements? In some cases, this is unclear. But I feel like agreements should be based on factual knowledge, rather than prejudice or superstition.

When people cannot or will not accept facts and choose prejudice, dehumanization can happen very quickly.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

For me , a human is a human. No words or actions have the power to undo the definition. I'm slightly spooked that people are as easily affected, and have the ego to believe that they can dehumanize someone. I find the efforts to be utterly unsuccessful. Whatever I call myself, or others won't change me or them(and then, why should I bother?). If it imaginatively does, I would probably think they have weak minds. And that's fine, and most human.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    It is all right for the rich to dehumanize the poor.
    Is it that what you are saying?
    I am not saying that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Property has protection under the law.
    Human life has not.
    Life has protection under the law, as well.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Reifying ourselves and others

Dehumanisation is called reification. And 'reify' comes from the Latin 'res' meaning thing. So when we reify, we turn a person into a thing.

And we reify by turning a person into a type. It may be a somatic type, or as on Central, into a psychological type.

But on Central, we not only reify others, we reify ourselves.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Dehumanisation is called reification. And 'reify' comes from the Latin 'res' meaning thing. So when we reify, we turn a person into a thing.

And we reify by turning a person into a type. It may be a somatic type, or as on Central, into a psychological type.

Why do you believe that humans are things? And then you have to prove somehow that people believe they and others are things? What's this all about?
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    Why do you believe that humans are things? And then you have to prove somehow that people believe they and others are things? What's this all about?
    You have misunderstood Victor miss ICUP. Victor states that the general individual within typec dehumanises themselves within the mind by creating set general categories one would adhere to making them incline towards what we call a 'thing'.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    You have misunderstood Victor miss ICUP. Victor states that the general individual within typec dehumanises themselves within the mind by creating set general categories one would adhere to making them incline towards what we call a 'thing'.
    He is ending with the idea that people are things. And we are things. That's his point. And what exactly does that point MEAN?!
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    He is ending with the idea that people are things. And we are things. That's his point. And what exactly does that point MEAN?!
    He's saying here that when a person would reify (materialize or objectify) a human being, they would consider the other human being a thing. (He is not saying this is good)

He is saying here the process in which a person would reify (materialize or objectify) another person. He is also saying that people on typology central do this a lot.

He is implying here that when we type individuals in psychological types (MBTI) we are objectifying them and that makes us think that they are more like objects (things).

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Thank You, Oakysage.

I have predetermined ideas. At the same time, I have reasons to.

I really don't understand the path from type to thing but maybe at this point, I'm not meant to. Why does an evalutation of my actions mean that I am a thing? It doesn't make sense. How can identification mean dehuminazation? Sounds like insanity.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype