User Tag List

First 1234 Last

I might be umm... an adversary.. to others at times, but I rarely dehumanize. I even wonder what it's like to be one of the random people in their cars when I'm driving past them. Little things like that. I know they have a mind, a life, and whatever else, just as much as I do.

Even when it came to so called enemies, or people I even got in physical confrontations with. I've yet to dehumanize even in those situations. I'm happy when that kind of crap is over with. I'll pick the person up myself, and try to joke about it later, if they let me.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    So I am wondering. How quick are you to dehumanize people who:

1) disagree with you?
    2) rub you the wrong way?
    3) inconvenience you?
    4) make it hard for you to get your job done?

By dehumanize, I mean, to, in your own mind, strip them of their human status. Thinking of them as "animals", "monsters", "menace", or really any label that would justify, in your mind, violating one of their human rights.

Human rights include:
    The right to life, liberty, personal security, status of personhood, equal protection under the law,
    freedom from slavery, torture, cruel or degrading punishment, arbitrary arrest, ...

http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/

Maybe introspection is too hard. How quickly have you seen it happen?
    Cool thread. Let me think about it.

If anything, I think people should expose themselves and be open to conflict more. Ironically, it might help in not dehumanizing. You'll learn to not sweat the small shit. I think if you avoid acting on those impulses, it'll just build up into general resentment and a "fuck the world" attitude. You never understand anyone that way.

There are soldiers whose job is to kill their opponents, and yet.. some are still human enough to respect those opponents. Not all mind you, but sometimes, it's the most battle hardened ones that are the most honorable. It's the dipshits who aren't used to it who resort to spitting on people's graves, raping their families, and cutting off ears and making necklaces out of them.

Not sure if my point is coming across well, but whatever.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Dehumanizing them, no.

Trying to avoid them, yes.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Intriguing question!
    I also have a lesser tolerance when I am driving. It's like people = their cars, and I = my car. And when people crowd my lane or don't signal, or cut me off, etc. I get very very annoyed.
    Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    If you cut me off in traffic, consider yourself dehumanized.
    Haha. Yeah. I get road rage sometimes. Especially when people go zooming past me on my right, in a lane that is merging with mine, when there were plenty of open lanes on the left to pass me. "Maniac" is what I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    Ygolo, have you ever heard of Dunbar's Number? It is relevant to this conversation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar's_number Basically, by studying the tribe sizes of certain primates, Dunbar was able to determine that the size of the neocortex in the brain has a direct correlation to tribe size. By extending the principle to humans it has been suggested that, based on our neocortex size, humans are meant to be in tribes of ~150. Dunbar's research primarily deals with the social behavior of tribes, but some anthropologists extended this idea to explain that the reason we dehumanize/stereotype large groups of people is because we cognitively are not capable of humanizing more than ~150 people.

If you're interested, I can dig up some of the links I have about it. People have even applied the number to online social networks.
    I had heard of the phenomenon, but did not remember that it was called the Dunbar number. I find these things fascinating.

I did an analysis of the TypoC friends network a long time ago.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ad.php?t=16983

Seemed to stay under the Dunbar number quite handily. But it's kinda like the facebook friend thing.

Just realized, that having data on members like that may be dehumanizing too.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Really succinct and eloquent post, says with a perfect economy of words what a lot of anti-oppressive perspective books and thinkers categorically fail to.

How quick does it happen? I can go from nought to ninety on the loathing scale when I encounter that, the things I've thought about people who dont seem to know where they are, what they're doing, when they're doing it, usually pedestrians or "consumer fugue" (think I'm using that word how I mean to) shoppers. Although as fast as I feel that way it dissipates again.

Would I seriously think that way politically or in my profession, nope, not for a moment, in fact I think the concept of "othering" and its feature across a spectrum of different "liberation ideologies", ie sexism, disabilism, classism, racism, sectarianism, is a positive break through. Even if I dont like the concept of rights per se because its become so badly abused and confused.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

BTW I'm interested if you could cite sources, links or books, I've read the books which I know of as big anti-oppressive practice texts for social work which deal with this concept and conceiving of individuals in this way but not seen it so simply and well put before. Perhaps their problem was they tried to turn the opening post's content into ten chapter volumes and in the process obscured the simple truth at the heart of it.

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

No matter how much I dislike someone or how many atrocities they've committed, I still think they should be treated fairly, according to established standards, applicable to all.

That's why, despite Saddam being pure evil, I'm glad he got a trial, just as anyone of lesser evil would have been entitled to.

How exactly would the world be if all actions were based on subjective opinions?
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    No matter how much I dislike someone or how many atrocities they've committed, I still think they should be treated fairly, according to established standards, applicable to all.

That's why, despite Saddam being pure evil, I'm glad he got a trial, just as anyone of lesser evil would have been entitled to.

How exactly would the world be if all actions were based on subjective opinions?
    I dont know if the killing of people who are wicked and whose reputation proceeds them is a result of subjective opinions rather than the natural consequences of their actions.

It would be possible to deem the outcome of any trial to be subjective opinions and the trial itself theatre sanctioning those opinions, confering validity to them, I know that Saddam and his supporters would consider it so.

Whether by trial or not the deaths of dictators in that part of the world have been pretty swift, I almost expect the deaths of those responsible for the greatest atrocities in the Balkans and Bosnia to be of old age.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

Depends on the situation. Speaking for myself, it does not take long.

In a situation where someone is an obstacle and being an ass, their humanity goes out the window, possibly with them.
    once I have control of something, I consider the person human again.

its pretty simple. does not matter the sex, race and other things. just goal blocking.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee