User Tag List

First 123

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    I love when the girl in the show with common sense pointed out the sexism they were exhibiting and they all looked at her in awe like "you can't be serious".
    Me too.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ...yes, we don't know why she did what she did. Maybe in the cause and effect chain, the situation was horrific and resulted in a horrific conclusion.

But there's little doubt about how to evaluate The Talk's "response" to such a situation.
    Agreed. I am more interested in the response to the story, specifically by The Talk, as orginally reported by CBS vs. the whys of it and the couples marriage dynamic.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    *fixed*
    Yeah, yeah. Same difference.

Possibly, but they (The Talk) weren´t discussing feminism.
    The fat man in the video was talking explicitly about feminism because he (correctly, I think) picked up on the fact that Sharon Osbourne's comments came from a misguided view of women's empowerment. Of course, he didn't think her view was misguided at all (he said it was the reason he couldn't take feminism seriously.)

What's your point, anyway?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    What's your point, anyway?
    I know this is an old article but I thought I´d share it.
    That.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

That.
    What?

I wanted to know what the point of your reply ("Possibly, but they (The Talk) weren´t discussing feminism") was.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

I wanted to clarify that The Talk was not discussing feminism but you implied they were by characterizing it, specifically as being ¨poor¨.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I wanted to clarify that The Talk was not discussing feminism but you implied they were by characterizing it, specifically as being ¨poor¨.
    No, I said that their mutual understandings (Sharon Osbourne's and the fat man's) of feminism seem to be the same, because both seem to think that the barbarous act of a woman cutting off a man's penis is (indirectly in the case of The Talk) an act of female empowerment, which is (directly in the fat man's case) a supposedly feminist perspective.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Yeah, yeah. Same difference.

The fat man in the video was talking explicitly about feminism because he (correctly, I think) picked up on the fact that Sharon Osbourne's comments came from a misguided view of women's empowerment. Of course, he didn't think her view was misguided at all (he said it was the reason he couldn't take feminism seriously.)
    Huh? Where did the guy state what he believed feminism should be? I heard him voice his disdain for the movement (gone awry, like many well-meaning movements), but I don't recall him saying anything else on the subject. I see a parallel to this with Christianity vs Christians.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Huh? Where did the guy state what he believed feminism should be? I heard him voice his disdain for the movement (gone awry, like many well-meaning movements), but I don't recall him saying anything else on the subject. I see a parallel to this with Christianity vs Christians.
    Let me put this more simply; the fat man was attacking a straw feminist.