User Tag List

First 123

Results 21 to 29 of 29

  1. #21
    Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx
    Posts
    2,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    I love when the girl in the show with common sense pointed out the sexism they were exhibiting and they all looked at her in awe like "you can't be serious".
    Me too.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

  2. #22
    Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx
    Posts
    2,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ...yes, we don't know why she did what she did. Maybe in the cause and effect chain, the situation was horrific and resulted in a horrific conclusion.

    But there's little doubt about how to evaluate The Talk's "response" to such a situation.
    Agreed. I am more interested in the response to the story, specifically by The Talk, as orginally reported by CBS vs. the whys of it and the couples marriage dynamic.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

  3. #23
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    *fixed*
    Yeah, yeah. Same difference.

    Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    Possibly, but they (The Talk) weren´t discussing feminism.
    The fat man in the video was talking explicitly about feminism because he (correctly, I think) picked up on the fact that Sharon Osbourne's comments came from a misguided view of women's empowerment. Of course, he didn't think her view was misguided at all (he said it was the reason he couldn't take feminism seriously.)

    What's your point, anyway?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  4. #24
    Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx
    Posts
    2,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    What's your point, anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    I know this is an old article but I thought I´d share it.
    That.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

  5. #25
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    That.
    What?

    I wanted to know what the point of your reply ("Possibly, but they (The Talk) weren´t discussing feminism") was.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  6. #26
    Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx
    Posts
    2,396

    Default

    I wanted to clarify that The Talk was not discussing feminism but you implied they were by characterizing it, specifically as being ¨poor¨.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

  7. #27
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    I wanted to clarify that The Talk was not discussing feminism but you implied they were by characterizing it, specifically as being ¨poor¨.
    No, I said that their mutual understandings (Sharon Osbourne's and the fat man's) of feminism seem to be the same, because both seem to think that the barbarous act of a woman cutting off a man's penis is (indirectly in the case of The Talk) an act of female empowerment, which is (directly in the fat man's case) a supposedly feminist perspective.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  8. #28
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Yeah, yeah. Same difference.



    The fat man in the video was talking explicitly about feminism because he (correctly, I think) picked up on the fact that Sharon Osbourne's comments came from a misguided view of women's empowerment. Of course, he didn't think her view was misguided at all (he said it was the reason he couldn't take feminism seriously.)
    Huh? Where did the guy state what he believed feminism should be? I heard him voice his disdain for the movement (gone awry, like many well-meaning movements), but I don't recall him saying anything else on the subject. I see a parallel to this with Christianity vs Christians.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  9. #29
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Huh? Where did the guy state what he believed feminism should be? I heard him voice his disdain for the movement (gone awry, like many well-meaning movements), but I don't recall him saying anything else on the subject. I see a parallel to this with Christianity vs Christians.
    Let me put this more simply; the fat man was attacking a straw feminist.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Similar Threads

  1. No education and no experience, what to put in my CV?
    By Typoz in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 03-24-2013, 10:27 PM
  2. [INFJ] I'm hijacking some amazing musician/songwriters and putting them in the INFJ basket
    By Reverie in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-20-2012, 06:54 AM
  3. Hmmm...what should I put in here?
    By Kiddo in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-27-2007, 01:11 AM
  4. RSS and Wiki in plain language
    By rivercrow in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-27-2007, 10:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO