User Tag List

First 23456 Last

I tried for the longest time to believe that this sort of thing was the lunatic fringe of the right. I just can't do it anymore. Obviously many conservatives believe this. I just wonder - if this is a scam by leftist scientists for financial gain, why do their critics have all the money instead of them?

It's all just very sad. I used to be a Republican until the party was hijacked by Jesus freaks who have nothing but contempt for everything Jesus taught.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

I have this theory that most people are naturally moderately socially conservative (in that they are not a fan of rapid change of social standards), and moderately fiscally conservative (in that they want a fiscally responsible government), but that zealotry (in both fiscal and social spheres) keeps them from identifying themselves as conservatives. At least, I would characterize myself that way.

I have respect for those who stand up for principles. But to me it seems like the political parties are not standing up for anything. They are just out to win, and they are willing to twist what they say to win. At some point, that strategy has to stop working.

I want a government where being principled and pragmatic are not seen as contradictions, where faith and reason go hand in hand, and where common sense is not pitted against hard-won knowledge.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I have this theory that most people are naturally moderately socially conservative (in that they are not a fan of rapid change of social standards), and moderately fiscally conservative (in that they want a fiscally responsible government), but that zealotry (in both fiscal and social spheres) keeps them from identifying themselves as conservatives. At least, I would characterize myself that way.

I have respect for those who stand up for principles. But to me it seems like the political parties are not standing up for anything. They are just out to win, and they are willing to twist what they say to win. At some point, that strategy has to stop working.

I want a government where being principled and pragmatic are not seen as contradictions, where faith and reason go hand in hand, and where common sense is not pitted against hard-won knowledge.
    Get your congress to quit their Gerry-mandering. In fact, try to get most other states to support redistricting by the people like California has or one that is similar to how Iowa does it.

In this decade alone, 78% of incumbents have kept their seats year, after year, after year.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    And make sure the facts you see aren't being cherry-picked...
    Cherry-picked facts can be very revealing in what they are unable to say.
    Ne > Ti > Si >> Te > Se >> Fe > Fi > Ni
    5 so/sp
    Chaotic Neutral/Evil

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I tried for the longest time to believe that this sort of thing was the lunatic fringe of the right. I just can't do it anymore. Obviously many conservatives believe this. I just wonder - if this is a scam by leftist scientists for financial gain, why do their critics have all the money instead of them?

It's all just very sad. I used to be a Republican until the party was hijacked by Jesus freaks who have nothing but contempt for everything Jesus taught.
    Dont forget the Trotskyites Neocons.
    +10% Crit Chance

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

This isn't the Republican mainstream. The republican mainstream isn't really concerned with these issues at all right now, as much as the democratic mainstream may want it to be.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Also, I find it kind of amazing that you all think somebody appearing in a satire and mocking republicans (Noelle Nikpour) actually believes the things that she's representing. This is what's known as "poisoning the well," and you are all doing it very effectively. It's really dishonest and pathetic. Good job being dishonest and pathetic.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    What did Jesus teach that "Jesus freaks" have contempt for? Jesus didn't teach "tolerance." He did teach that all men are sinners, and that there's only one way out, and that's through Him. I didn't realize I was in contempt of that.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/co...mming-america/

This is not a mainstream Republican point of view, is it?
    Bahhahaha!

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    Also, I find it kind of amazing that you all think somebody appearing in a satire and mocking republicans (Noelle Nikpour) actually believes the things that she's representing. This is what's known as "poisoning the well," and you are all doing it very effectively. It's really dishonest and pathetic. Good job being dishonest and pathetic.
    So Noelle Nikpour is a super sekkret Democrat now? Ill alert the media.

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    This isn't the Republican mainstream. The republican mainstream isn't really concerned with these issues at all right now, as much as the democratic mainstream may want it to be.
    The question isnt if Republicans are concerned with these issues, the question is if these opinions on the topic are mainstream(they are). And Republicans arent concerned with a super sekkret cabal of George Soros funded Scientists making up Global Warming for some raisen? So they all decided to trust the scientists instead of Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh?
    +10% Crit Chance