User Tag List

123 Last

Question HIV+ Presidential Candidate: Would you elect him/her?

Please share your reasons for why you would/wouldn't elect someone to presidential office in this light. Also, what medical conditions would be gamechangers for you as a voter?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

My understanding is someone with HIV can live 40 years post diagnosis.

I tend to feel like there needs to be a barrier between a politician's personal life and his political life. I don't think his medical conditions or intimate personal life should be on the table for discussion. I feel like that about all public figures, athletes, etc.

Otherwise, where do we stop? No one can live up to that kind of scrutiny, and I don't they should have to. If they have met the basic qualifications, let the voters speak with their votes.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I would not care.

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    My understanding is someone with HIV can live 40 years post diagnosis.

I tend to feel like there needs to be a barrier between a politician's personal life and his political life. I don't think his medical conditions or intimate personal life should be on the table for discussion. I feel like that about all public figures, athletes, etc.

Otherwise, where do we stop? No one can live up to that kind of scrutiny, and I don't they should have to. If they have met the basic qualifications, let the voters speak with their votes.
    It's irrelevant to public interest even if it's a mental or neurologically deleterious condition?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

It depends upon the progress of the condition. If the candidate can complete the term without the condition adversely affecting performance, why not?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    It's irrelevant to public interest even if it's a mental or neurologically deleterious condition?

I would hope that someone at the extreme upper levels of government would be voluntarily transparent, and I think the public encourages this. I personally would not discriminate based on a medical condition, if I liked the candidate. I would also hope that someone who has made it that far (as to be elected for pres) would be ethical in that if they felt like they had a condition that would conflict with being president, they would step down.

I'm good with the current basic requirements for president.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I would hope that someone at the extreme upper levels of government would be voluntarily transparent, and I think the public encourages this. I personally would not discriminate based on a medical condition, if I liked the candidate. I would also hope that someone who has made it that far (as to be elected for pres) would be ethical in that if they felt like they had a condition that would conflict with being president, they would step down.

I'm good with the current basic requirements for president.
    Okay, voluntarily transparent...I gotta turn that one down. Trust is for fools. And trusting a politician? Hahahahahaha. No. The public doesn't have to know the details, but someone does.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Okay, voluntarily transparent...I gotta turn that one down. Trust is for fools. And trusting a politician? Hahahahahaha. No. The public doesn't have to know the details, but someone does.
    And who would that be? Like they wouldn't be corrupted as well?

I think if transparency is something the public needs, they'll demand it and won't be happy with anything less. If a candidate then fails in that, people won't trust him and/or vote for him.

I'd rather it be a supply/demand voluntary thing than a heavy-handed demanded thing. The former encourages integrity. The latter deviancy.

Perhaps that is my NF naivete, perhaps not. If we don't hold ourselves to a higher standard, and demand it of our leaders, won't we slip into a downward entropy?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

And who would that be? Like they wouldn't be corrupted as well?

I think if transparency is something the public needs, they'll demand it and won't be happy with anything less. If a candidate then fails in that, people won't trust him and/or vote for him.

I'd rather it be a supply/demand voluntary thing than a heavy-handed demanded thing. The former encourages integrity. The latter deviancy.

Perhaps that is my NF naivete, perhaps not. If we don't hold ourselves to a higher standard, and demand it of our leaders, won't we slip into a downward entropy?
    Yeah, I think you're being naive.

The public demands shows like American Idol and has the attention span of a 2 year old. I don't have any faith in it. And even when the public demands something, we still get served a shit sandwich (see the Dodd-Frank bill). No, you have to be forceful with people who want to be in a position of power. If you're not, they'll take advantage of you. Politicians aren't like normal people. A far greater percentage of them are psychopaths than the general public.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Yeah, I think you're being naive.

The public demands shows like American Idol and has the attention span of a 2 year old. I don't have any faith in it. And even when the public demands something, we still get served a shit sandwich (see the Dodd-Frank bill). No, you have to be forceful with people who want to be in a position of power. If you're not, they'll take advantage of you. Politicians aren't like normal people. A far greater percentage of them are psychopaths than the general public.
    Agreed.

Yes, but Americans are also highly intelligent, industrious, and inventive entrepreneurs. Good and appropriate Mr Smith candidates cannot fight the fight and win because the system is set up around money, power, and prestige. Which favors perhaps a more dishonest lot, though I'd have to disagree about them being psychopaths.

I'm hoping the internet shifts things and makes for a more level playing field for presidential hopefuls, and other government officials even at the state level.

But I refuse to let cynicism sway me, and to let the torch of integrity be stuffed into the broom closet because of the dark days we are currently experiencing in our political and economic climate.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

songofmary.wordpress.com