User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

MBTI
    STUF

You are guaranteed by the first amendment the right to gather and protest as you will, anything these police to to inhibit that is unlawful regardless of city ordinances.
    Whoops.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Which age is the correct age to protest?
    I didn't say anything about her not having a right to peacefully protest. By all means. I just questioned "why?". When you're old, there are certain things you don't involve yourself in due to the risk of it impacting your health. Combatting riot cops is one of those things I would advise against. So lets not confuse peaceful protest with defying city ordinance and those that enforce them. Maybe I'm just crazy.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    I would have loved an answer to my last post because that is what often happens. Officers get separated and chaos ensues regardless and even more force is used by police because they become disorganized. Officer safety is a big reason why police use pepper spray.
    I agree with you 100%. People sitting down (surrounded by officers) are a significant threat to the safety of officers

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Combatting riot cops is one of those things I would advise against. Maybe I'm just crazy.
    Who is combating riot cops

Is there an 84 year old lady combating riot cops?

Does one who combats riot cops even exist? Could this be imaginary?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

They should all be in the hospital or prison. They are violent sociopaths attacking our police officers and dismantling our society
    ALIENS YAY

I didn't say anything about her not having a right to peacefully protest. By all means. I just questioned "why?". When you're old, there are certain things you don't involve yourself in due to the risk of it impacting your health. Combatting riot cops is one of those things I would advise against. So lets not confuse peaceful protest with defying city ordinance and those that enforce them.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    STUF

I guess when you are young enough to go they just shoot you in the face with rubber bullets instead.

Scott Olsen (ex marine) was shot in the face at point blank range by police officers with rubber bullets at the occupy protests, had his skull fractured and suffered brain damage, partially losing his ability to speak. He'll recover, but it's completely disgusting and unecessary.
    Whoops.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I agree with you 100%. People sitting down (surrounded by officers) are a significant threat to the safety of officers
    This goes back to my initial post. The cops cannot leave the protestors there. They were called in to remove them. They are not a threat to police sitting there. They become a potential threat when the police have asked them to disperse and they do not. So now the police have to find a way to make them move. Now the police have to prepare for the possible threat of being outnumbered and violence happening. So if they are outnumbered they aren't going to go into the crowd and start picking people to arrest. People who no doubt would resist physically because they resisted moving when asked and warned. That's pretty logical thinking to me. What to do? Pepper spray. It's not lethal to protestors and it keeps officers safe.

Do a ride along with your local Sheriff's Office or city police. Everyone is allowed. You will have another outlook to what they go through each day. You will also realize that the way they are trained is to expect worst case scenarios. They cannot afford to give the benefit of the doubt to who they are interacting with. To do so, means injury or death. Anyway. Good back and forth. Gotta go to work.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post

I guess when you are young enough to go they just shoot you in the face with rubber bullets instead.

Scott Olsen (ex marine) was shot in the face at point blank range by police officers with rubber bullets at the occupy protests, had his skull fractured and suffered brain damage, partially losing his ability to speak. He'll recover, but it's completely disgusting and unecessary.
    The best part is when they shoot him in the face and then throw bombs at the people going to help him

[YOUTUBE="gHKYUJZghYo"]Throw bombs at people[/YOUTUBE]

One could argue that the safety of the officers justifies this behavior

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    This goes back to my initial post. The cops cannot leave the protestors there. They were called in to remove them. They are not a threat to police sitting there. They become a potential threat when the police have asked them to disperse and they do not.
    How?

MBTI
    ISTx

How?
    Because they've already shown disobedience and non-compliant behavior. That is exponentially threatening when it's a large group. Your so naive sometimes it hurts.

I also suggest doing a ride along with your local department, like MDP mentioned. May not change your mind about much, but you will get a realistic, first hand experience of what an officer's typical day looks like.