User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    1. They were in no way, shape, or form being surrounded. Judging by the video, they were not surrounded, they could easily get out of the mess.
    2. Their excuse for using the pepper-spray was because they were surrounded and they needed a way out.
    3. Follow through.
    What are you talking about "being surrounded"? I said pepper spray is easier than picking them up, the protesters sitting down. Those kids needed to be pepper sprayed, they destroyed property and probably would again, and their camps were spreading to public parks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack427 View Post
    What are you talking about "being surrounded"? I said pepper spray is easier than picking them up, the protesters sitting down. Those kids needed to be pepper sprayed, they destroyed property and probably would again, and their camps were spreading to public parks.
    This case, they were only on school property
    In the middle of the day
    When other students are also around

Whether it was easier or not, they did nothing to destroy property.

MBTI
    GONE

@Randomnity beat me to the punch! I was on my itouch and didn't notice you'd posted the same link. You also made good points.

I think the main difference of opinion is whether or not the chancellor had a right to call the police. Public school campus = public property? Stuff like that. I think what the police did - I mean, honestly is anyone surprised? Yes, it was excessive force. But, y'know, that's what police do.

I think most people assume she had a right to call the police and that the students did not have a right to peaceful assembly.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

As a recent grad from UCD I have to say this isn't the first time the police have been rough with protestors. During Nov 09 there was some issues with the police during the Mrak hall protests (and also at some later protests I failed to see). Otherwise, when I read an email with a link to this I couldn't believe this happened at peaceful little Davis.

I was also very impressed by the silent protest they did later as Katehi walked to her car. That was what peaceful protest was all about.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp

This case, they were only on school property
    In the middle of the day
    When other students are also around

Whether it was easier or not, they did nothing to destroy property.
    No need to emphasize or remind me of where this happened or the circumstances, I am already quite aware.

Actually, according to another news site they tore down a fence to make room for more tents.

MBTI
    ISTx

What happen in this incident was that a few of those people were sent to the hospital because of the pepper spray.
    Yeah, because that shit stings...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    But really, if the crowd is repeatedly warned of impending use of force to remove them, why the hell would you stick around? That's like playing chicken with a stove top. All bias aside, it's pretty stupid on the protestors' part. But does anyone really expect differently?
    This is related to Occuoy Wall Street. So, it's because they were proving a point, standing up for something they believe in. Whether you agree with that position or not, you must admit backing down when faced with adversity is not a going to prove anything.

Take the civil rights protests of the 60s (it's not that dissimilar, non-violent groups of protesters, politically motivated, being caused pain or harm by police forces). If at those equal rights protests police had yelled "give up or we'll turn dogs and fire hoses on you" and everyone had just left saying "well, we heard what'd happen. We'd be damn morons not to abandon our cause and get up and go", that protest wouldn't have been a quite as impacting. People would say "I guess it wasn't that important to them anyways."
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Yeah, because that shit stings...
    I've been pepper sprayed a few times. It hurt like hell for awhile, but I didn't think of going to the hospital. If someone went to the hospital for pepper spray, they are either a wuss or have a health condition which would warrant it.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    If someone went to the hospital for pepper spray, they are either a wuss or have a health condition which would warrant it.
    I think the concentration of the pepper spray and the distance it was sprayed may have made it a bit more painful than usual. (At least one of the students has asthma.)

Not sure on the fence breaking thing, when I was about campus I didn't see any by the quad (its an open region of trees and lawn grass), but its possible something was under construction near the MU.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by crayons View Post
    I think the concentration of the pepper spray and the distance it was sprayed may have made it a bit more painful than usual. (At least one of the students has asthma.)
    If someone went to the hospital for pepper spray, they are either a wuss or have a health condition which would warrant it.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype