User Tag List

First 1321222324 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by earthtrekker1775 View Post
    CS gas is used but it is not in spray form. CS is a crystalline powder that is in the tear gas. OC is the spray form.

CS Gas

OC Spray

Both are awesome when applied to mucous membranes of unruly hippies.
    Those really are hippies.

The protest and demonstration culture in the US is so different to here, I'm still trying to get my head around it, public order situations here just turn nasty quickly and frequently end up with people hospitalised or killed. Its just so different.

Its also usually about things which appear so much empheral by comparisons with the economy, class struggles and what these demos are about.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

the protest just seems so pointless. what is it suppose to accomplish? is there any protesting going on in front of the white house? does protesting even accomplish anything?

pointless but still this is kinda entertaining.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by yakimadude View Post
    the protest just seems so pointless. what is it suppose to accomplish? is there any protesting going on in front of the white house? does protesting even accomplish anything?

pointless but still this is kinda entertaining.
    This is the early stage of a movement you're looking at. People are unhappy and they sense injustice and power in numbers, so they're starting to band together, figure out what's wrong, and create a plan of action. Don't knock the whole movement because it hasn't matured yet.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I don't know if the students even knew what the problem was. Wealth inequality? Protesting what happened at Berkeley earlier? Budget Cuts? A new patent agreement?

Whatever the problem was, the police officers were not the people who could solve it.
    The officers don't have to solve it, they just have to be smart and figure out what they right response is. Listening can go a long way, as can starting dialogues and giving people voices.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    I'm not talking about these old cases of misuse of authority. I'm talking about the pregnant, 19-year old, homeless girl that got herself a miscarriage for voluntarily involving herself in matters with the protest+police.

Of course there are a number of cases where cops have misused their power. The important thing is to be able to distinguish between a misuse of power and then proper protocol and procedure. That's not always a clear, distinguishable line when all the facts surrounding an incident are not presented to you. The "totality of the circumstances" dictates a lot, when it comes to right/wrong choices within law enforcement.
    I think most debates around "police misconduct" go around in circles because the main principle that it hinges on is do you believe the problems begin and end with personal responsibility and mistakes which can be solved with better training and protocols OR do you think violence perpetrated by the police whether publicly condoned or not is part of a larger oppressive institution that in fact creates, supports and needs such violence to maintain the status quo.

How you feel about this question is very telling on where you fall on the political spectrum and clearly differentiates 'conservatives' to 'progresives' and 'liberals' from 'radicals' and 'revolutionaries'.

The remarkable thing about the 99% and 'occupy' movements is that all sorts of people on the spectrum are coming together under the very general umbrella of 'WTF?' Which is kinda amazing because class consciousness in the states is all over place and muddled. And obviously they are struggling to find a cohesive language to communicate with internally as well as externally. Wall Street and the White House had to REALLY fuck over a lot of people to get that to happen. Bravo. Obviously the i-bankers thought Das Kapital was fiction. :rimshot:
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    This is the early stage of a movement you're looking at. People are unhappy and they sense injustice and power in numbers, so they're starting to band together, figure out what's wrong, and create a plan of action. Don't knock the whole movement because it hasn't matured yet.
    no knocking. Im in support. I see what you are saying now.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

Default Jesus, that burns

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    just in time for Christmas
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Wow. It's amazing that she didn't die and came out with so few injuries.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I've been really interested in the wake of this about peoples reactions, there was a postsecret in which someone had a picture of the cop spraying those kids and had the message "I think they deserved it" on it, there were some good comments on it on the facebook page which beyond the hey-boo usual and discussed peoples tendencies to want to identify with power rather than powerlessness for a sort of win value.