User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Well, I was hoping they would be policitians because they actually wanted to make the country a better place. You know, just like many young men become soldiers - to serve their country, and not for the war loot and the rapings of civilians.
    Unfortunately, Mr. Smith is a fictional character. Ethical integrity isn't rewarded.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    What would happen if wealth was taxed progressively in place of income? Would wealth inequality shrink or grow?
    One of the wealthiest people I know -- his dad is a manager of a $2B hedge fund -- used to argue that this would be the smartest way for our tax code to be set up.

He's sort of an ideological prick, but he's also really smart, and sometimes I wonder whether he's more pragmatic than I give him credit.

He was a national debate champion and has a very good handle on the details of many issues.

We used to have great debates back in college.

Anyway, I have never read anything that seriously considered a tax structure based on wealth.

Just thinking it through seems very difficult to me, as it would require so much change in how we do things.

I think there might be something to it, but I'm not sure how much.

If you find any good info, please share it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Think that through again.

Trust me.
    Whoops...I see now what my mistake was.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    Whoops...I see now what my mistake was.
    Yeah.

It's a common one.

I have to deal with numbers like this all the time in my occupation, so, trust me, I've seen it plenty of times before.

MBTI
    INTJ

Did the politicians pass laws to make it this way?

Or was it more that they didn't pass laws to adequately protect US jobs?

Or was it that they passed too many laws that made doing business here too expensive?

It would seem to be some combination of all three of these, but I think the first would be the least of the problem.

I guess that's unless you're going all the way back to the GATT and the WTO, and the entire creation of our global trade system.

Because that really is the problem: we've had another 2-3 billion people from Asia and elsewhere entire the global labor force.

There are some major realignments that will almost inevitably occur because of that, and America will feel that pain.

The only way I think we can soften the blow of these economic realities is the way Warren Buffet suggested.

Back in 2003, he wrote about Thriftsville and Squanderville in Fortune magazine (LINK).

In it, he talked about the idea of Import Certificates.

They utilize market mechanisms.

Balance the trade deficit.

Raise tax revenue.

Win. Win. Win.

#Winning.

/ Zarathustra's 'Plan for a New America', Policy Proposal #2
    I don't believe economics is a zero sum game. And I have no problem with the Chinese economy growing just because. Like that Colonel said in Full Metal Jacket - "We are here to help the Vietnamese, because inside every gook there is an American trying to get out". So yes, good for Asians if they ever achieve American living standards and political freedoms. But I do take issues with us having free trade agreements with countries that use slave labor and no environmental regulations. A tariff definately needs to be in place to remedy those inequities.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I don't believe economics is a zero sum game. And I have no problem with the Chinese economy growing just because. Like that Colonel said in Full Metal Jacket - "We are here to help the Vietnamese, because inside every gook there is an American trying to get out". So yes, good for Asians if they ever achieve American living standards and political freedoms. But I do take issues with us having free trade agreements with countries that use slave labor and no environmental regulations. A tariff definately needs to be in place to remedy those inequities.
    I completely agree with all of this.

Import Certificates are a market-based tariff.

(I did not mention the non-zero-sum simply because I did not want it to detract from the point I was trying to make.)

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

I will note that I think the INTJs on TypeC could probably fix this problem if we were given the reins of the country.

Democracy has, for the current moment, become obsolete.

It's time for the (temporary) INTJ dictatorship.

America needs to be fixed.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Unfortunately, Mr. Smith is a fictional character. Ethical integrity isn't rewarded.
    I believe that influence over the country's future (or call it "power" if you are cynically inclined) is enough of a reward to attract competent men to the job. We just have to make sure regulations are set in place to keep the corrupt from obtaining more than that.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INTJ

I will note that I think the INTJs on TypeC could probably fix this problem if we were given the reins of the country.

Democracy has, for the current moment, become obsolete.

It's time for the (temporary) INTJ dictatorship.

America needs to be fixed.
    Benevolent dictatorship is the most efficient form of government. The problem is, as far as the dictatorships go, the benevolent ones tend to be an exception to the rule.

Yeah, these so called benevolent dictators go hand in hand with stories of fairies and magical beanstalks.